The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC Fantasy League 2019-20

Nail

C00DAB62-B8BA-4A6B-802B-5DEB9EDC4BAF.png

News from New York

While the trade deadline has come and gone, trades are still being discussed and made in New York. While the deal cannot be announced until after myself and the other team are eliminated from the playoffs, so hopefully sometime in June, moves are still coming.

If you’d like to talk, hit me up. The only 3 players who definitely aren’t up for discussion are Artemi Panarin, Patrik Laine, and Carter Hart. Otherwise, while some others are unlikely to move, “never say never.”

Was a tough loss last night as both Detroit and Nashville stepped over us to push Vancouver a couple spots out of a wildcard berth. I think that for the stretch run, I may have just missed bringing in enough fire power. Time will tell. Fortunately we still carry our own First round pick, certainly worth a push for the playoffs, but if that doesn't work out, we will be happy to pick in the top half of the draft's first round. : )

2 hours ago, Bombastik der Teutone said:

Chicago Blackhawks Roster Moves

Assignment: The Blackhawks assign F Michael Frolik to Rockford

Recall: The Blackhawks recall F Gabriel Vilardi from Rockford 

Can't process this move, it puts you $58,334 over the cap.

20 minutes ago, Bombastik der Teutone said:

me too after some years but its not 100% over yet 

sad days though :sadno:

Very disappointing. The thing I was wondering about last night assuming this was going to happen, and still do now, is how the NHL handles the draft lottery. Teams like Ottawa, LA, Detroit should still have the best odds to. However, unless you are Boston, Tampa, St Louis, Philly, Washington, and Pittsburgh, there was no guarantee your club was making the playoffs. So should those teams, particular in the wildcard spots (Carolina, Columbus, Winnipeg, Vancouver, Calgary) also be included and have some small percentage chance of winning the lottery?

The other side is, the benefit of making the playoffs for the organization and the owners is that they get playoff revenue. No team is getting that this year, so should every team have a chance (see: lockout season) to move up? This is very interesting.

22 hours ago, Monty said:

New York Islanders Announcement

So this one is a little different, and completely new. Been thinking about it a lot over the last year, and felt it was important for the development, quality, and future of the league.

Starting now, the New York Islanders will be searching for an Assistant General Manager. This could mean an AGM will be in place in a month or 6 months. The last time I had an AGM, I was fortunate enough to convince @D-Money to come on for a few months before he took over his own team. There are a number of new GMs to CDCFL (and fantasy hockey on CDC), all of whom are knowledgeable hockey people. However, I know that @Nail and I had to work our contacts hard to find such quality guys. That said, lives change and we all may not be as active and have time for fantasy hockey as we once did. In order to prepare for this, I feel like it's time I offer up an opening for an AGM spot that was once really only reserved for 2-3 people I was comfortable with.

At this point, I also want what's best for the league. I was reminded by looking at the OP by Nail that CDCFL is currently in its 7th season. This is actually quite remarkable, but that pales in comparison to the effort that Nail has put forward year over year to ensure that this league is always improving and a league that runs smoothly. As most of us know in our working lives, one of the keys to an organization running smoothly is a simple, repeatable process. The work Nail has done with the CBA, the yearly questionnaires, to ensuring that "not just anyone" can become a GM in this league (quality, long term candidate) shows just how much he cares that this league runs like a well oiled machine. The difference here is that this isn't an organization and neither Nail nor any of us get paid. It's all in the name of fun; which only adds to how impressive the near 8 year running league is.

Instead of being comfortable running my team on my own and feeling 100% confident in my decisions, it's time I allow someone to come in and have a voice. But also do what others did for me when I first started here, which was give their near expert advice on how to plan for my franchise, what to look for in trades, how to win trades, but also understanding that it's also "ok" to lose trades as well.

So, whether someone happens to see this post and contact me, if anyone here knows someone that's interested that isn't Swede/Kaner, or another completely different avenue, I feel it's time to give up some of my control to my club for the betterment of the league long term and bring someone new into the fold.

This is a great post that sums up what I could never say as well or as briefly, thanks for posting it. I want to echo the sentiment about Nail's commitment, effort and results: wow! Thank you sir for everything you do for this awesome and well run league. The rest of the exec also, 100%. 

I tend to view EKL as the "AHL" for the better longer tenured leagues here on CDC and my goal there over time is to introduce "new to Fantasy Sports" folks who have a long tenure on CDC in the other sections. I had to do some "evasive maneauvers" this year for obvious reasons and bring in some great GM's from other leagues to get past the hurdle of a brand new executive in season 2. Future planning though, I have been encouraging every team to think about an Assistant GM to tutor in order to then take on an empty club as that happens over time. It seems the most spock on logical thing to do. Kudos for embracing what is needed for the future of the games we all love to play!

Mostly thank you all for your efforts to have what I know is a fun good league that has in fact stood the test of time. Well done!

I'm sure this may be an obvious answer, but with the sports world going dark, obviously that puts the league here on a hiatus as well.

For clarification and confirmation sake, going forward, what are we as GM's able to do? 

Obviously a big chunk will be air tight and wait, but is there any way to look toward the future. Re-signings and such are still permitted?

Or are we going to go on a full hiatus as well? Everyone take a break?

Just looking for some confirmation. What a crazy day to say the least. Mark this as an event of "where were you when the sports world went dark"

Thanks @Nail in advanced and thanks for everything in keeping this league going! 

9 minutes ago, Tylez said:

I'm sure this may be an obvious answer, but with the sports world going dark, obviously that puts the league here on a hiatus as well.

For clarification and confirmation sake, going forward, what are we as GM's able to do? 

Obviously a big chunk will be air tight and wait, but is there any way to look toward the future. Re-signings and such are still permitted?

Or are we going to go on a full hiatus as well? Everyone take a break?

Just looking for some confirmation. What a crazy day to say the least. Mark this as an event of "where were you when the sports world went dark"

Thanks @Nail in advanced and thanks for everything in keeping this league going! 

So, Nail will absolutely respond to this, but I also know that he’s very busy over the next few days. In case he doesn’t get to this right away, I’ll quickly respond.

Nail and I talked this afternoon in regards to possibilities of what can be done, what will be done, and what may be done, as a result of the current stoppage. No decisions will be made until things are a little more concrete, though. As Nail has proven, decisions in the league are never done without serious thought beforehand.

While him and I discuss all RFA extensions, this will for the moment be put on hold. Not for too long (maybe a week, two at most), just until he and I have time to formulate a plan. 

EDIT: Trades can still be made, just not formally announced until after both teams involved have been eliminated from the playoffs. If the entire season and the playoffs are cancelled, then that will obviously be revisited.

• Thanks 2