The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Blackhawks re-sign Brendan Perlini

Imagine Virtanen if Virtanen didn't hit, which contrary to what CDC believes Jake does hit quite a bit, and didn't become more responsible defensively. That's Perlini. Great size and great speed and a decent scorer. He had 14 goals last season. He's got the tools but isn't putting them all together. I know people hate plus minus but Jake was a -4 and Perlini was a -17. The best comparison I can make is Perlini is Goldy with Virtanen's speed and size. I am hoping he can start to click and become a NHL level player but I dunno if he can.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Imagine Virtanen if Virtanen didn't hit, which contrary to what CDC believes Jake does hit quite a bit, and didn't become more responsible defensively. That's Perlini. Great size and great speed and a decent scorer. He had 14 goals last season. He's got the tools but isn't putting them all together. I know people hate plus minus but Jake was a -4 and Perlini was a -17. The best comparison I can make is Perlini is Goldy with Virtanen's speed and size. I am hoping he can start to click and become a NHL level player but I dunno if he can.

Pretty decent scouting report. 

When Perlini is on, he is a very productive top 6 player. He's fast, has a great shot, and above average hands.But that's about 15 games. 

The other 65 games, he's only noticeable because of his defensive flaws.  Him being perpetual out of position in the defensive zone drags his linemates out their position as well.  His -17 is a reflection of that.

If he can play with more consistency, Hawks got a good player on a great one year deal.  If he doesn't, there are plenty of options to take his spot and Hawks didn't have to make much of a financial commitment. 

• Cheers 1

On 9/6/2019 at 12:31 PM, N7Nucks said:

people hate +/- when it's out of context, or even moreso when it's dropped with no context.

Virtanen also played harder minutes than Perlini - with better 'underlying'/'possession' numbers - in a primarily dzone start role, Virtanen had both better shot and goal metrics than Perlini, which underlines your point.

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

people hate +/- when it's out of context, or even moreso when it's dropped with no context.

Virtanen also played harder minutes than Perlini - with better 'underlying'/'possession' numbers - in a primarily dzone start role, Virtanen had both better shot and goal metrics than Perlini, which underlines your point.

Fair enough. I was gonna drop more numbers about Virtanen’s deployment but I vomit up his numbers all the time. And I was lazy. 

• Cheers 1