The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Van - Mtl

To Montreal: Loui Eriksson + 2nd round pick in whichever draft our 1st doesn't go to TB

To Vancouver: Karl Alzner

Vancouver does this for cap flexibility and D depth

Montreal does this because with a change of scenery maybe LE can bring some added production to their bottom 6 and help out their 28th ranked PK and they get an extra 2nd out of it.

Both team get to move on from contracts I am sure they regret.

3 minutes ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

To Montreal: Loui Eriksson + 2nd round pick in whichever draft our 1st doesn't go to TB

Montreal does this because with a change of scenery maybe LE can bring some added production to their bottom 6 and help out their 28th ranked PK and they get an extra 2nd out of it.

I don’t see Montreal having interest.  They can keep Alzner in the minors as insurance against injuries and then buy him out before next year.  The 2nd is nice, but, like Vancouver, they’ll have some expensive RFA contracts coming up where the cap flexibility is likely a bigger draw. Plus Montreal already has 12 picks in the upcoming draft.  

39 minutes ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

I doubt that Montreal would go for it, but I'd even offer to do:

To Montreal: LE, 3rd round pick in next draft, 5 round in 2021

To Vancouver: Alzner, Weise, 7th round pick 2022

At the deadline, you could probably find a team willing to take Weise for depth for a 7th or even just Future Consideration.

In summer, buyout Alzner, would be a LOT cheaper than trying to buyout LE.

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

I doubt that Montreal would go for it, but I'd even offer to do:

To Montreal: LE, 3rd round pick in next draft, 5 round in 2021

To Vancouver: Alzner, Weise, 7th round pick 2022

At the deadline, you could probably find a team willing to take Weise for depth for a 7th or even just Future Consideration.

In summer, buyout Alzner, would be a LOT cheaper than trying to buyout LE.

I’m still not seeing much incentive for Montreal to make this deal. Weise is a pending UFA and Montreal doesn’t need the cap space this season. So he has no impact on the value of the deal. So you’ve essentially downgraded the pick from the OP from a 2nd to a 3rd and Montreal swap a 7th for a 5th.  

Honestly I think they’d rather just buy out Alzner themselves than be tied to the buyout proof contract of Ericksson 

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I’m still not seeing much incentive for Montreal to make this deal. Weise is a pending UFA and Montreal doesn’t need the cap space this season. So he has no impact on the value of the deal. So you’ve essentially downgraded the pick from the OP from a 2nd to a 3rd and Montreal swap a 7th for a 5th.  

Honestly I think they’d rather just buy out Alzner themselves than be tied to the buyout proof contract of Ericksson 

There really isn't, and its really hard to make an argument to any team to take on his cap hit.

I think an easier argument would be to see if we could find someone who could take Baerstchi and give him another chance to be in the NHL. I think he deserves it, but I don't see a spot for him here anytime in the near future.

I think Columbus would be a better landing place for Baerstchi though, especially with their injuries right now. Maybe something like:

To Columbus: Baerstchi, 500k retained, 2020 4th round pick

To Vancouver: 2020 6th round pick

I think he's a much easier player to convince a team to pickup. He's talented and can play in a lot of NHL teams middle 6, has proven that he can produce points.

5 hours ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

I'm just going to go ahead and say, Maybe if I feed our dog Fruitloops, it will fart out rainbows.

Unfortunately, I think the rainbow thing is more likely than LE adding production to anyone's bottom 6 at this point in his career. If the off season exchange he had with Green didn't motivate him to show up in the best playing shape of his career and prove that he still had something left to contribute, NOTHING will.

His career is heading the same direction as the Titanic did, and just as quickly too.

• Haha 1

Another LE thread.  Its going to cost us a first to get someone to take his contract after next season - the same way it did for TO and Marleau if we re-sign Markstrom.   We need him off the books for sure to get new contracts for AG, JV, QH and EP. and keep JM.   so i appreciate the try.  We would need to add for sure to get this deal done.  Ive turned around on the idea of sticking him in the minors.  It wont be good for Utica and hes better then some options when injuries arise so understand the press box thing.   IF we ever manage to get all our guys back at once im pretty sure hes going down.  Hopefully he stays - and retires before the end of the next season.