The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks looking to re-sign Markstrom, add top-6 winger before deadline

Rate this topic

naslund.is.king

On 12/29/2019 at 11:39 AM, Canuckster86 said:

I think people might be shocked by his new cap hit. I know I will be shocked if he signs for 5m or less myself on shortish term, I can see the cap hit being more reasonable if he gets a long term deal with ntc protection or nmc for seattle expansion

I could easily see him getting up to 6.5 on anything 4 years or less. 

On 12/28/2019 at 9:49 PM, *Buzzsaw* said:

Maybe Travis Green needs to give a decent tryout to some of his current assets, (like Baertschi and Goldobin) before the Canucks blow a wad of players and picks on the second rate wingers who will be available before the deadline?

No to Goldobin - but Bear is proving he doesn't belong JB then AHL - and has already proved he can score at over .5 per game at the NHL level.  Problem is Pearson is a PPG guy over the past 22ish games and he's got Bears spot.   

And JV is a PPG the part 15 games or so too.  Looks like we had that top six player all along - and it also is our right side that lacks the depth (our L side is stacked right into the AHL).   

Dont think we need another top six guy as long as JV keeps it up, which I think he will - he's actually our best 5 x 5 player per sixty.   His minutes have gone up from 12 to 14 recently - if I was TG I'd keep it going that way and see how it goes.

LE gets spot duty depending on who we play and it's worked the past couple of games. 

That said Bear offers a solid option given his skill set and this is what I'd like to see:

Miller EP JV

Killer Bees reunited 

Pearson AG Leivo

Sutter Beagle Motte/LE

This would give us three scoring lines and a second line with more bite.   Think JV would produce at least the same rate as BB on the top line as he is now - BB would produce the same on this second line as we've already seen him do it.  Same PP we have now with Bear added to the second line with Pearson, JV and AG and Myers. 

Our offense would be sick.