The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks looking to re-sign Markstrom, add top-6 winger before deadline

Rate this topic

naslund.is.king

20 hours ago, sxqhfeh said:

trade for Lias Anderson, EP's friend, very good two way player, 21 old

With a terrible attitude and has done nothing since being drafted, in any league he's played in.

If EP is friends with a player (Dahlen) the friendship does not matter to Canucks management.

What matters is attitude, commitment and humble pie, especially when attitude is an issue with said player.

Ho-Sang / Puljujarvi/ Wilde/ Anderson

Why are these high end prospects struggling so much? Attitude.

You can be the least skilled worst skater in the league that smells of onion and elderberry. 

But if you work hard and have a positive attitude great things will happen.

Who here remembers Alex burrows first time playing with the canucks?

He could skate(like bambi) was pushed off the puck, hit hard, beat up and he always got up and kept motoring.

His attitude was infectious, the same way a poor attitude is.

• Cheers 2

21 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

What's consensus?  Average of all scouts?  The good the bad and the indifferent?  Would if be fair to say the McKenzie's rankings would be consensus if he's using 10+ scouts to determine his rankings.  Then ya, 5. Villardi 6. Mittlestadt 7. Pettersson 8. Glass.....

But no team uses a consensus list.  Each team has their own scouting department and determines their own list.  Other GM's didn't have the same list because they had a different set of criteria they were looking at and their interviews may have left a different impression.   So if Benning picked Pettersson at 5, his list had him at 5 or higher. 

There is the possibility that a GM is picking for need and I think it happens.  You could argue that Juolevi was such a case but based on what John Weisbrod has said in interviews, their philosophy is always to pick BPA in the 1st round

Oh, I agree completely. I was referring to the poster I quoted who said post the 2016 draft, Benning has selected the 'consensus' BPA, and I believe that poster was referring to average position across the top scouting agencies' list. I did a quick googling (and I must admit, I've forgotten which media outlet I took this from) but I found an averaged rankings list across 20 or so scouts that had Pettersson at 9th. 

I was simply saying that Benning had Pettersson ranked higher than many others and that he has not selected the 'consensus' BPA from 2017 onwards.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

With a terrible attitude and has done nothing since being drafted, in any league he's played in.

If EP is friends with a player (Dahlen) the friendship does not matter to Canucks management.

What matters is attitude, commitment and humble pie, especially when attitude is an issue with said player.

Why are these high end prospects struggling so much? Attitude

Old school coaches and cap strategy... 

On 12/26/2019 at 6:56 PM, GhostsOf1994 said:

Why are these high end prospects struggling so much? Attitude.

You can be the least skilled worst skater in the league that smells of onion and elderberry. 

But if you work hard and have a positive attitude great things will happen.

Who here remembers Alex burrows first time playing with the canucks?

He could skate(like bambi) was pushed off the puck, hit hard, beat up and he always got up and kept motoring.

His attitude was infectious, the same way a poor attitude is.

What's this attitude you speak of?

Looking at some of the teams that are well out of playoff contention, theres nothing that really stands out, that is:

1. Worth sacrificing any prospects or high picks.

2. Contract term that lines up with our up and coming RFAs

However, one team I would keep an eye on if they begin to fall behind in the race for playoffs is Florida.

There are 2 very interesting options for top 6 wingers that would really round out our top 6 and give Horvat some much needed help or give Pettersson more ammo for his arsenal.

Mike Hoffman $5.2m

Evgeni Dadonov $4.0m

both are pending UFAs this year and Florida cannot keep both. They may be willing to part with them and get something for potentially nothing if they decide to head to free agency.

Both are 30 however, but if we were to somehow move out a contract like Sutter’s or Eriksson’s with prospects and picks in order to make the cap swap with retention on Eriksson’s.

We could unload a ton of cap in sense. Say we somehow make a deal that works for both teams and if we can re-sign them, come the Expansion draft, we can expose that contract and rid ourselves of a good chunk on the cap allowing us to protect our younger more valuable assets and have cap space to work with in negotiations or pick up a decent UFA signing.

Both those players are going to be going for as higha dollar and long term as they can get, which will be a contract you dont want to keep. But would be valuable in a playoff push this year.

Thoughts? How could we make a deal like that happen?

I like the idea @knucklehead91, though the swap of any dead weight likely involves a 1st or another substantial sweetener going out the door, and we already traded a 1st to TB this past July for Miller.  Keep in mind, Marleau's cap dump to Carolina was for a conditional first (this or next year) and the Leafs got a 6th round pick back.  I wouldn't expect it to be any less for either salary (plus Loui still has term, which likely only ups the price).

I'm personally hesitant to move this year's pick (presuming and hoping we fall out of the playoff race) since this year's class is supposed to be strong and we could add an essential piece to the critical mass of young talent (maybe there's another top-4/ top pair D to be found, or one of the top young forwards if we fall that far; even Antonio Stranges seems like an intriguing player).

If something like Sutter, Stecher, 2nd and maybe a middling prospect works then I would be all for it, but also open to going after these wingers in UFA. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

I like the idea @knucklehead91, though the swap of any dead weight likely involves a 1st or another substantial sweetener going out the door, and we already traded a 1st to TB this past July for Miller.  Keep in mind, Marleau's cap dump to Carolina was for a conditional first (this or next year) and the Leafs got a 6th round pick back.  I wouldn't expect it to be any less for either salary (plus Loui still has term, which likely only ups the price).

I'm personally hesitant to move this year's pick (presuming and hoping we fall out of the playoff race) since this year's class is supposed to be strong and we could add an essential piece to the critical mass of young talent (maybe there's another top-4/ top pair D to be found, or one of the top young forwards if we fall that far; even Antonio Stranges seems like an intriguing player).

If something like Sutter, Stecher, 2nd and maybe a middling prospect works then I would be all for it, but also open to going after these wingers in UFA. 

I’d like to see an Eriksson 2m retained + pick + prospect for Dadonov. 
2mil retention keeps the cap space unchanged for both teams, frees up 4 mil for us at the end of the season.

They get a pick and a prospect for a player they will lose to FA due to cap space

1 hour ago, Westcoasting said:

Yes what is going on with him... i just haven't read or heard a thing about his attitude yet.

Well, throwing a silver medal into the crowd for starters. Demanding a trade because he's not been gifted NHL ice time is another. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

Yes what is going on with him... i just haven't read or heard a thing about his attitude yet.

Tossing a silver medal into the crowd as team captain of sweden doesn't ring any alarms?

Demanding a trade and sitting out until then because you haven't done squat at the ahl or nhl level? 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

18 hours ago, knucklehead91 said:

I’d like to see an Eriksson 2m retained + pick + prospect for Dadonov. 
2mil retention keeps the cap space unchanged for both teams, frees up 4 mil for us at the end of the season.

They get a pick and a prospect for a player they will lose to FA due to cap space

Florida is looking to compete now - really doubtful they'd have any interest in wasting 4M in Eriksson.   They don't have that kind of cap space to waste as they look to be contenders.  

Every solid game that passes, Marky just has more of a case for a bigger cap hit, more term or NTC/NMC protection. Signing him should be done sooner than later. Might come at the price of sacrificing Tanev tho, can't see Marky getting a big raise and us having room for Tanev getting 1 also in a career year of health for him. Need room for EP and QH with their mammoth contracts upcoming, Then Brock etc...

13 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Tossing a silver medal into the crowd as team captain of sweden doesn't ring any alarms?

Demanding a trade and sitting out until then because you haven't done squat at the ahl or nhl level? 

Lol yes i just read canucks 73 response to the same effect! Thanks 

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Every solid game that passes, Marky just has more of a case for a bigger cap hit, more term or NTC/NMC protection. Signing him should be done sooner than later. Might come at the price of sacrificing Tanev tho, can't see Marky getting a big raise and us having room for Tanev getting 1 also in a career year of health for him. Need room for EP and QH with their mammoth contracts upcoming, Then Brock etc...

Goalie values are funny.

Only the very top ones earn big money and term.  It is actually going the opposite, where teams are spending less on a team #1.

Marky is probably earning a $4.5-5 million contract with a 4 year term, no trade protection.   There are comparable signings and a glut on the tending market next summer.

It isn’t going to break the bank.

24 minutes ago, Provost said:

Goalie values are funny.

Only the very top ones earn big money and term.  It is actually going the opposite, where teams are spending less on a team #1.

Marky is probably earning a $4.5-5 million contract with a 4 year term, no trade protection.   There are comparable signings and a glut on the tending market next summer.

It isn’t going to break the bank.

I think people might be shocked by his new cap hit. I know I will be shocked if he signs for 5m or less myself on shortish term, I can see the cap hit being more reasonable if he gets a long term deal with ntc protection or nmc for seattle expansion

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/29/2019 at 11:39 AM, Canuckster86 said:

I think people might be shocked by his new cap hit. I know I will be shocked if he signs for 5m or less myself on shortish term, I can see the cap hit being more reasonable if he gets a long term deal with ntc protection or nmc for seattle expansion

I agree...

Of all the goalies ranked by GP (starters), Markstrom ranks 15th in the league (missed time with his father passing), those players above him only 3 have a better GAA and 4 a better S%. Guy is hitting UFA in his prime having a career year...