The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sustained success...are we there yet? Not for this season, but for seasons to come?

Rate this topic

KoreanHockeyFan

7 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Some threads need to be pushed right OFF of Canucks Talk, 1st page.

There's a lack of appreciation in this hard Old world!

Question:  did someone appoint you the thread filter on these boards?

Answer:  oh, you appointed yourself.

The irony is that you're merely spamming the boards in the process - which may actually be worse than the problem you claim exists.

Edited by oldnews
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Question:  did someone appoint you the thread filter on these boards?

Answer:  oh, you appointed yourself.

The irony is that you're merely spamming the boards in the process - which may actually be worse than the problem you claim exists.

It's a fair question, Ol'Timer. You may chalk it up to temp-insanity(in a world gone mad) if it pleases you.

An alternative view is some folks appreciate their old threads gettin' a bump. Sometimes threads incubate(like a virus), then kinda explode with a 2nd or 3rd wave.

At least I didn't bump my pastafarianism thread

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

It's a fair question, Ol'Timer. You may chalk it up to temp-insanity(in a world gone mad) if it pleases you.

An alternative view is some folks appreciate their old threads gettin' a bump. Sometimes threads incubate(like a virus), then kinda explode with a 2nd or 3rd wave.

At least I didn't bump my pastafarianism thread

if it's entertaining, I'm not sure anyone would object.

perhaps there are a few Arrow threads that could use a lock / or flush - but there were a few folks a while ago that were trying to bump every thread to get their mark or whatever on the entire board - it was a bit of a competition - and in the end it was just a barrage of spam posts - so I'm not sure that's the solution to 'bad' threads.  maybe a request to the mods to lock the junk (but maybe they don't have the time to waste filtering all the 'good' and 'bad' here?  I guess these boards may be destined to some measure of chaos!

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

if it's entertaining, I'm not sure anyone would object.

perhaps there are a few Arrow threads that could use a lock / or flush - but there were a few folks a while ago that were trying to bump every thread to get their mark or whatever on the entire board - it was a bit of a competition - and in the end it was just a barrage of spam posts - so I'm not sure that's the solution to 'bad' threads.  maybe a request to the mods to lock the junk (but maybe they don't have the time to waste filtering all the 'good' and 'bad' here?  I guess these boards may be destined to some measure of chaos!

It's an interesting question..just what constitutes a valid, newsworthy thread? I have started some I figured lemons, yet they had legs..& of course vice-versa has applied.

Generally if the team is winning & it's an off day, about 15 CDC'ers are willing to discuss the contents of one's sock drawer.

edit: apologies, OP, I've digressed from the topic at hand

Edited by Nuxfanabroad

On 2/4/2020 at 6:46 PM, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Before I get flamed by the entire message board I'll start off by saying...

1. I love how the Canucks have played this season. I'm sure I speak for the most of us here in that they have blown away our expectations.
  2. The Canucks are on the right track. Benning, Green, the entire organization has this rebuild on schedule and it looks like it's moving faster than the development of the Oilers and Flames (which is always a good thing)
  3. The Canucks' drafting has been impeccable. We've got a great, young team here that's primed to have success in the coming years. With guys like Horvat, Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser...I'm sure we'll see another cup run during these guys' prime.

BUT...I've made this thread to caution people's expectations for the short to medium term. I think we're still a handful of years away from another cup run (duh). This recent stretch of play has been great, but let's be honest, without Markstrom and Demko, the Canucks would not be in the place they are right now. The amount of chances and shots the Canucks give up every game shows how this team is still developing. The Canucks are up there, but they're not at the elite tier that teams like the Bruins, Capitals and Blues are at..YET. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a bit of a regression over the next year or so.

We saw something similar with the Flames in 2014-15 - they've been in and out of the playoffs ever since their surprise season that saw Hartley win the Jack Adams, a career year for Jiri Hudler (who?) and breakout years for Gaudreau and Monahan. All of the stars aligned for the Flames that year which saw them beat the Canucks in Round 1. I'm not suggesting that the Canucks are going to have the exact same fate as the Flames have had over the past few seasons, but what I am suggesting is that we can see how the Canucks could regress as they still have some growing pains to go through just like any other young team. With the league being as tight as it's ever been, the ups and downs of the Canucks are only going to be more likely in the near future. 

I'm mostly making this point because I can totally see CDC blowing up and calling for Benning and Green's heads next year if we see a regression and the Canucks don't make the playoffs. Just like how the exact same thing was being done when the Canucks were struggling this past December.  So please, for the love of God, with this recent run of success, don't suddenly start expecting the Canucks to only go up from here and become a consistent cup contender within 2 years. Buckle up for the long ride - the Canucks still have a bunch of ups and downs to get through before they become a perennial franchise once again.

TL;DR: The Canucks are doing great and are on the right track, but the team is still young and learning so don't be surprised at a regression every now and then over the next few seasons. 

I agree for the most part.

The one part I do not agree with - which I won't belabor because I've argued against it elsewhere, is the idea that the team is being carried by goaltending, which I think is a real oversimplification - and further, I'm not sure your claim regarding relative 'chances' quite stands up as soundly as a more general 'possession' claim might.

But as for the rest of it - yes, they have key young skilled players at various positions that are still very early in their careers and development trajectories.

They also, imo, depend heavily on a 'core' of 4 or 5 veteran "foundation" players that they are extremely unlikely to thrive without - so their results in the shorter term imo are heavily tied to the health of players like Edler,Tanev, Sutter and Beagle - none of whom are considered "core" pieces of the future, but who are absolutely indispensable in the shorter term if they wish to be highly competitive.  This past December was an excellent illustration of this.

Where I won't go as far is to believe they have no chance for a few more years - it won't be easy for youth to endure the kind of grind ahead - but, you never know - there have been a number of solid, deep teams that have won when their key young core players were very young.

On 2/4/2020 at 9:46 PM, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Before I get flamed by the entire message board I'll start off by saying...

1. I love how the Canucks have played this season. I'm sure I speak for the most of us here in that they have blown away our expectations.
  2. The Canucks are on the right track. Benning, Green, the entire organization has this rebuild on schedule and it looks like it's moving faster than the development of the Oilers and Flames (which is always a good thing)
  3. The Canucks' drafting has been impeccable. We've got a great, young team here that's primed to have success in the coming years. With guys like Horvat, Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser...I'm sure we'll see another cup run during these guys' prime.

BUT...I've made this thread to caution people's expectations for the short to medium term. I think we're still a handful of years away from another cup run (duh). This recent stretch of play has been great, but let's be honest, without Markstrom and Demko, the Canucks would not be in the place they are right now. The amount of chances and shots the Canucks give up every game shows how this team is still developing. The Canucks are up there, but they're not at the elite tier that teams like the Bruins, Capitals and Blues are at..YET. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a bit of a regression over the next year or so.

We saw something similar with the Flames in 2014-15 - they've been in and out of the playoffs ever since their surprise season that saw Hartley win the Jack Adams, a career year for Jiri Hudler (who?) and breakout years for Gaudreau and Monahan. All of the stars aligned for the Flames that year which saw them beat the Canucks in Round 1. I'm not suggesting that the Canucks are going to have the exact same fate as the Flames have had over the past few seasons, but what I am suggesting is that we can see how the Canucks could regress as they still have some growing pains to go through just like any other young team. With the league being as tight as it's ever been, the ups and downs of the Canucks are only going to be more likely in the near future. 

I'm mostly making this point because I can totally see CDC blowing up and calling for Benning and Green's heads next year if we see a regression and the Canucks don't make the playoffs. Just like how the exact same thing was being done when the Canucks were struggling this past December.  So please, for the love of God, with this recent run of success, don't suddenly start expecting the Canucks to only go up from here and become a consistent cup contender within 2 years. Buckle up for the long ride - the Canucks still have a bunch of ups and downs to get through before they become a perennial franchise once again.

TL;DR: The Canucks are doing great and are on the right track, but the team is still young and learning so don't be surprised at a regression every now and then over the next few seasons. 

I'm also predicting a regression next season - maybe not for the same reasons.   Right now, factually, this team has its best chance to have a team with this sort of depth that it's ever going to have this year.   Next year the belt will tighten some more and a few of the regulars will be on their way out before the season starts.  Cap constraints.

The only way we won't ice a worse team next season is if the young guys take big steps.  Have a nagging feeling it will similar to the hiccup we had when Luongo first came.   Agree we need to be patient.

Then we have to re-up QH and EP.   Think we will be done with LE by then which will help (either as Marleau type trade for one year or hopefully he will retire), and other guys are off the books.   By then our prospect pool should be kicking in an all should be good in Canucks land again.   We will also lose a decent player to the ED, might even help our cap so I'd call it a wash (unless it's Demko then well, I told you so ha ha).  

It's the year the Luongo penalty and LE is off the books that our window is at its wide open.   All our core players in their primes with another wave of support players coming in, maybe even a core player or two to boot.   Edler will have to be replaced - hopefully OJ will figure out this league the same way he's figured out each step of the way - if not a trade probably or maybe a UFA...

Overall I'm liking our odds with this group - heck they barely can grow facial hair yet.  Time is definitely on our side, next year I'm not very confident we will make another big step, to me if we make the playoffs that would be a good year, even as a wildcard team.   Patience for sure.