The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wet'suwet'en Protests and Blockades in BC

DonLever

7 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

If you are first nations that how can possibly support the Indian Act ?  You do realize all the damage this  Apartheid act  has caused in Canada....

First off Did you just say if you are? I like messing around and joking around with you but that was ignorant and rude! getting First Nations people out of the cycle of poverty is the best thing, Alberta's approach of being partners in empowering these communities is the best approach. 

• Cheers 1

Amen. What are we doing here?

I'll say this, they should've already got the RCMP out of these areas. Meet their request & give them a chance to stop the blockades, since CGL has backed off aswell.

Somehow I doubt the protests would stop, but you atleast allow the opportunity to stay true to their word. Now that the protests have picked up & the non-indigenous anti pipeline crowd has joined in with greater force, it'll only be more difficult to resolve.

If they don't stay true, then maybe you take some measures, but if we are actually as moral & virtuous as we act then we'd give them the opportunity.

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

First off Did you just say if you are? I like messing around and joking around with you but that was ignorant and rude! getting First Nations people out of the cycle of poverty is the best thing, Alberta's approach of being partners in empowering these communities is the best approach. 

We all want the same thing.  That is to see first nations communities thriving and to see first nations people fully functioning members  in Canada society.

First nations communites need to own the point of production and control their own revenues.... REAL ownership and not some nominal fee for a gas line.... that will not even provide any long term employment for first nations band members....

22 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Have you ever been in a presentation from Chief Clarence Louie  from Osoyoos.

The guy really has done some amazing things for his band.  It is all about first nations owned businesses.  Owned and operated by the band.

Amazing speaker.  Have you ever met with him or sat in on any of his talks....

He started the Osoyoos Indian Band Development Corporation (OIBDC) in 1988.[2] Through the corporation's efforts, the previously impoverished band started or acquired nine businesses, including tourism, construction, and recreation companies. The band now employs 700 people including non-First Nations. A high-profile business started by the OIBDC during Louie's tenure is Nk'Mip Cellars, the first aboriginal-owned winery in North America.[2][4

Edited by kingofsurrey

30 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

"The Indian Act has been amended over the years, but it still remains an oppressive, racist piece of legislation that continues to inflict irreparable damage upon our peoples," said Ontario Regional Chief Isadore Day. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/indian-act-turns-140-but-few-celebrating-1.3532810

7 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

You are the King of Twitter...  awesome job...

Just trying to pass along the info I'm reading/coming across. 

Edit: Its hard to know what's true & whats not in the social media age tho. Information (correct or not) carries so easily. Narratives start on both sides, ppl latch on, exc. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Have you ever been in a presentation from Chief Clarence Louie  from Osoyoos.

The guy really has done some amazing things for his band.  It is all about first nations owned businesses.  Owned and operated by the band.

Amazing speaker.  Have you ever met with him or sat in on any of his talks....

He started the Osoyoos Indian Band Development Corporation (OIBDC) in 1988.[2] Through the corporation's efforts, the previously impoverished band started or acquired nine businesses, including tourism, construction, and recreation companies. The band now employs 700 people including non-First Nations. A high-profile business started by the OIBDC during Louie's tenure is Nk'Mip Cellars, the first aboriginal-owned winery in North America.[2][4

In fact I have, he did great things..he supported outside investment. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

This argument turning racist is disgraceful and anyone partaking is a pos. My grandfather worked harder then anyone in this thread, but even worse he was given no recognition because he was tanned or brown. Newsflash my grandfather was the hardest working person I ever met, fell trees till he was 74..ask a logger. Want my grandpa always wanted was a better life for his kids. Sure there was racism...no one questions that but it's why my grandpa was great, he also did his service. 

My grandfather would have love to see lower nicola thrive, and they have but my point is let First Nations thrive and understand their own potential. 

No place on these boards for racism, no matter what side you support in the debate.  The root cause in all of this is an internal debate within the Wet'suwet'en community, with the anti-pipeline side trying to make it a race issue.  Those kind of comments only serve to fuel the protestors.

Not going to engage with that tripe further, as much as I dislike the protests.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

No place on these boards for racism, no matter what side you support in the debate.  The root cause in all of this is an internal debate within the Wet'suwet'en community, with the anti-pipeline side trying to make it a race issue.  Those kind of comments only serve to fuel the protestors.

Not going to engage with that tripe further, as much as I dislike the protests.

Agree with some of your post...  i even agree that some anti pipeliners may be attempting to  highjack  the protests... but i think it is mostly about first nations rights  and to a lesser degree  about global warming concerns / fracking concerns.... 

Edited by kingofsurrey

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

This argument turning racist is disgraceful and anyone partaking is a pos. My grandfather worked harder then anyone in this thread, but even worse he was given no recognition because he was tanned or brown. Newsflash my grandfather was the hardest working person I ever met, fell trees till he was 74..ask a logger. Want my grandpa always wanted was a better life for his kids. Sure there was racism...no one questions that but it's why my grandpa was great, he also did his service. 

My grandfather would have love to see lower nicola thrive, and they have but my point is let First Nations thrive and understand their own potential. 

Your grandpa sounds like an amazing man.  They dont make them like that any more

that generation knew how to work and sacrifice for the next generation ....

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Thanks 1