The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Around the NHL | July (28-30) 2020 (Exhibition)

Rate this topic

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

So they couldn't dress an extra body (or two) to sit on the bench? What if they suffer an injury, wouldn't it be favourable to get a guy in right away to gel in game time in their only exhibition game? What if they suffer an injury during the play-in, wouldn't it be good to give some depth who has been sitting idle for months a bit of game action since they're set on their lines anyway? There's no hindrence to them to dress the extra guys given this rare instance in doing so.

They are preparing for Vancouver and want to treat it like a regular game.   It's not really fair to just have guys sitting on the bench knowing that they won't play. 

NOTE during the game about the ice conditions towards the end of the 1st period

Games 1 and 2 for us will be played as the 3rd and last games of those days and with Edmonton in the middle of a 30 degree heat wave with high humidity,

The ice conditions will be questionable

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, mll said:

They are preparing for Vancouver and want to treat it like a regular game.   It's not really fair to just have guys sitting on the bench knowing that they won't play. 

And yet they will play both goalies like an exhibition game. I guess those guys will feel it's more fair sitting in the press box (or whatever quarantined zone) instead. I think those players would actually feel better knowing their the next one's up and have faith from the coaching staff that they may be utilized at some point during the playoff drive/run.

Just now, theo5789 said:

And yet they will play both goalies like an exhibition game. I guess those guys will feel it's more fair sitting in the press box (or whatever quarantined zone) instead. I think those players would actually feel better knowing their the next one's up and have faith from the coaching staff that they may be utilized at some point during the playoff drive/run.

They have to manage to get past Vancouver.  They haven't skated together in a game since March.  They need their lines to get back going.  It's far more important than playing a depth player who might not see any action if they don't get through the play-ins.

1 minute ago, mll said:

They have to manage to get past Vancouver.  They haven't skated together in a game since March.  They need their lines to get back going.  It's far more important than playing a depth player who might not see any action if they don't get through the play-ins.

But that's what I'm saying, they could be dressed and just sit on the bench while the rest of the guys get going. If a player goes down in this game, they could easily have the next guy in line jump in and prepare themselves still for Vancouver. They could give some young player a taste of the NHL level action even from the bench. There is literally no disadvantage to dressing them. The message instead is sent that the depth sucks and they would rather go shorthanded than give any of them a potential look.

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

But that's what I'm saying, they could be dressed and just sit on the bench while the rest of the guys get going. If a player goes down in this game, they could easily have the next guy in line jump in and prepare themselves still for Vancouver. They could give some young player a taste of the NHL level action even from the bench. There is literally no disadvantage to dressing them. The message instead is sent that the depth sucks and they would rather go shorthanded than give any of them a potential look.

Their 1st D call-up is likely Bartkowski and at F it would be Rask.  They don't need to sit on the bench.  

Just now, theo5789 said:

See above.

He's back in the game.  They are looking to replicate game conditions - if a player goes down during a game he can't be replaced.  Their only question mark is in goal.

2 minutes ago, mll said:

He's back in the game.  They are looking to replicate game conditions - if a player goes down during a game he can't be replaced.  Their only question mark is in goal.

Luckily for them. If he didn't then, it would be beneficial for the next in line to get gelling before the real games begin. If a player was out injured in this game, then they start their next game with their next in line, thus also replicating game conditions. Unless they planned on going with 5 D for the rest of the play-ins. Like I've been saying, there is no disadvantage to have dressed the extra bodies in this rare occasion that it is allowed.

27 minutes ago, mll said:

Their 1st D call-up is likely Bartkowski 

Oh man I am happy they aren’t allowing fans into the arena but what about players parents? I recall Matt Bartkowski’s mom is a force to be reckon with. Tread lightly Canucks or the team bus tires will be slashed by a mad momma!