The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chris Tanev AKA Dad

Rate this topic

Deets

As Canucks fans it's our pleasure to debate the merits of each player and discuss the assets they bring to the team. The consequence of the Cap Era is the necessity to make tough decisions when it comes to spreading the cap, but do we understand the full impact a player can make on a team just by looking at their stats and on ice play?

The Canucks edge closer to an off-season where they'll need to make a few hard choices when it comes to signing their free agents while leaving enough in the kitty to sign our young guns a year or two down the road.

One of the toughest decisions the Canucks face moving forward will be what to do with their veteran D Christ Tanev. This will be a decision that will inevitably determine the fate of Tyler Toffoli who stepped onto the Canucks roster at the trade deadline and seamlessly fit on the top line with EP and Miller. While Tiffoli has been a welcomed addition to our top 6, his injury has placed a damper on the possible impact he could make on our team.

Meanwhile, the campaign of Quinn Hughes has opened up a new role for Chris Tanev. Once a warrior who sacrificed his body on ice to help a bottom feeding Canucks team, his young and talented teammates have allowed Tanev to become something different. This difference has given him the ability to stay healthy through-out the season and has allowed him take on young Canuck players as apprentices, showing them the right way to work their craft.

I'm not sure what will happen this off season, but I for one hope the Canucks can find a way to keep this beauty, Chris Tanev. :canucks:

Edited by Deets
  • Like 1

Honestly, I hope we keep Tanny and Marky. These guys have really carried the team through, I can see Toffoli expendable since he is still injured (although close to returning I heard).

That being said, I hope they take a short term deal because of the contracts(and the expansion draft) we'll need to give to Petey and Hughes at the end of next season.

I think that 5 mil/season for Marky and 4.5 mil/season for Tanev gets it done. Tofu can’t really come back unless everyone starts taking pay cuts.  

We’ll see what happens but we got a busy busy off season coming up. 

6 hours ago, warrchief said:

Honestly, I hope we keep Tanny and Marky. These guys have really carried the team through, I can see Toffoli expendable since he is still injured (although close to returning I heard).

That being said, I hope they take a short term deal because of the contracts(and the expansion draft) we'll need to give to Petey and Hughes at the end of next season.

Toffoli is a great player so it's hard to pass him over, but like you said the team carried through without him. Tanny is going to want a 3 year deal though. If we could sign him for 2 I say we do it.

6 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I think that 5 mil/season for Marky and 4.5 mil/season for Tanev gets it done. Tofu can’t really come back unless everyone starts taking pay cuts.  

We’ll see what happens but we got a busy busy off season coming up. 

Marky isn't signing for only 5/season. He's be 6/per all day long, especially after this offseason performance. I'd say you're close with Tanev but he may take a discount. I think his value off the ice is what makes him such an important player for this team. The sportsnet video just shows how much his teammates look up to him. You need guys like that on your team.

20 minutes ago, Deets said:

Marky isn't signing for only 5/season. He's be 6/per all day long, especially after this offseason performance. I'd say you're close with Tanev but he may take a discount. I think his value off the ice is what makes him such an important player for this team. The sportsnet video just shows how much his teammates look up to him. You need guys like that on your team.

In a normal cap world, yes. But with the frozen cap, I don’t see it.  

I took a look around the league, and unless Ottawa or Detroit throw money at him, there’s not a single contender out there that can give him more then 5 mil/year.  

Don’t mistake this for me saying anything bad about Marky. If there was no cap I’d say give him 8 mil per season! 

I just can't see Toffoli being the priority over Chris Tanev. I would be absolutely shocked if the Canucks don't see it the same way. The only way I see Toff being (barring cap clearing trades) signed is if the ask for Tanev is too high. My "too high" is anything north of 6 mil. Both Edler and Myers are making 6 mil a year, I don't see how Tanevs agent won't use that as an argument for his contract. Guy desevers more money than both Edler and Myers. 

I think the only way we are retaining Toffoli is by trading someone. Is he that much of an upgrade over Pearson for example? Pearson is probably the guy to be moved if they are going to try to fit Toff as well. 

I think JB needs to really be agressive and try to move one of our higher cap hits in the bottom six. I think the likeliest there is Rous. 

34 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

I just can't see Toffoli being the priority over Chris Tanev. I would be absolutely shocked if the Canucks don't see it the same way. The only way I see Toff being (barring cap clearing trades) signed is if the ask for Tanev is too high. My "too high" is anything north of 6 mil. Both Edler and Myers are making 6 mil a year, I don't see how Tanevs agent won't use that as an argument for his contract. Guy desevers more money than both Edler and Myers. 

I think the only way we are retaining Toffoli is by trading someone. Is he that much of an upgrade over Pearson for example? Pearson is probably the guy to be moved if they are going to try to fit Toff as well. 

I think JB needs to really be agressive and try to move one of our higher cap hits in the bottom six. I think the likeliest there is Rous. 

You need to look at the value of Edler and Myers when they signed their contracts. Tanev had a great year but he isn't worth as much as either of them.

I'm still hoping that the canucks find an outside the box way to clear some cap space for Toffoli, but trading Pearson to keep Toffoli is an intriguing idea. Toffoli and Pearson bring a very similar game, but Pearson we have signed for another year at a great cap hit. If we could trade Pearson and sign Toffoli that would be a lateral move while still gaining maybe a good pick or prospect instead of just letting Toffoli walk.

• 1 year later...

I said it before, and I'll say it again. The impact that Chris Tanev brought to our team FAR exceeded his play on the ice.

Tanev has the heart of a Lion and is willing to do whatever it takes for his team. He was known to bring some of the younger players over for dinner and help them off the ice, as well as lead by example through hard work and camaraderie on the ice.

Looking back at this thread, the fact that we didn't keep Toffoli either shows how poor of a GM Benning is. But the biggest crime Benning is guilty of is allowing all the identity makers from the team walk and turning the team over to a bunch of kids. This didn't work out for Edmonton when it was Hall, RNH and Eberle, and it won't work out for the Canucks.

• RoughGame 1

2 hours ago, Deets said:

I said it before, and I'll say it again. The impact that Chris Tanev brought to our team FAR exceeded his play on the ice.

Tanev has the heart of a Lion and is willing to do whatever it takes for his team. He was known to bring some of the younger players over for dinner and help them off the ice, as well as lead by example through hard work and camaraderie on the ice.

Looking back at this thread, the fact that we didn't keep Toffoli either shows how poor of a GM Benning is. But the biggest crime Benning is guilty of is allowing all the identity makers from the team walk and turning the team over to a bunch of kids. This didn't work out for Edmonton when it was Hall, RNH and Eberle, and it won't work out for the Canucks.

But fans bitched about J.B. signing and keeping older leadership type of players to take off the burdens from the young guys. You can't have it both ways. 

Fans need to put themselves into the G.M.'s shoes. As G.M. you can't foretell the future. A lot of times you are betting on something meaning that it can go well or go bad. You don't know ahead of the time. J.B. was betting on that the warrior Chris Tanev would be injured each and every season with the Canucks  had he resigned.

Edited by Maddogy

7 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

But fans bitched about J.B. signing and keeping older leadership type of players to take off the burdens from the young guys. You can't have it both ways. 

Fans need to put themselves into the G.M.'s shoes. As G.M. you can't foretell the future. A lot of times you are betting on something meaning that it can go well or go bad. You don't know ahead of the time. J.B. was betting on that the warrior Chris Tanev would be injured each and every season with the Canucks  had he resigned.

Firstly, if our GM is listening to "fans" then our team is screwed.

Secondly, it's not an all or nothing argument here. You can have it both ways, experienced leadership and some young talent. It's how winning teams seem to do it. Also, Tanev had an injury free season the season before his departure. This was because of his new role with Quinn Hughes(arguable our most important asset). The influence Tanev had on Hughes game is night and day.