The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Van - Min

Look, before everyone comes at me, this is not a reactionary post and I'm trying to cut out emotional attachment to players to make the team better moving forward.

Saw the base of this proposal on HF, however, I think some picks need to be added to balance the value.

To Van:

- Dumba

- Eriksson Ek

- 3rd in 2021

To Min:

- Boeser

- Gaudette

- 2nd in 2021

My reasoning? Yes I'm assuming we'll get Toffoli signed. Tofu covers our 1RW and Benning stating that Mac will be on the team full time, so he would cover our 4RW. 2RW and 3RW can be switched between Leivo and Virtanen with Podkolzin likely coming over half way through next season and Lind as a call up option barring injury.

At this moment, I do not believe Gaudette can improve enough defensively to be our 3C moving forward, and we need that piece to be competitive in the playoffs starting next season. We need to acquire a solid young 2 way C that can make an impact on both ends of the ice. Eriksson Ek is a pain to play against and has a better defensive game than Gaudette, potential to be a great 3C moving forward.

No secret, our defence needs help, especially on the right side. We won't get a good value without giving up good value. Dumba adds a steady top pair RD to play alongside Hughes and be potentially one of the better top pairs in the NHL.

Value wise, to me Boeser and Dumba are a wash at the moment, or close to. Eriksson Ek has more value than Gaudette, but by how much? I'd be willing to give up more to get the proper pieces to create a championship team if need be.

Potentially icing a lineup of (I know there will be other moves and things needed to be done to fit the cap but just as an idea):

Miller - Pettersson - Toffoli

Pearson - Horvat - Virtanen/Leivo

Roussel - Eriksson Ek - Virtanen/Leivo

Motte - Beagle - Macewen

Michaelis

Hughes - Dumba

Edler - Myers

Juolevi - Tanev

Rathbone

Markstrom

Demko

Thoughts?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Look, before everyone comes at me, this is not a reactionary post and I'm trying to cut out emotional attachment to players to make the team better moving forward.

Saw the base of this proposal on HF, however, I think some picks need to be added to balance the value.

To Van:

- Dumba

- Eriksson Ek

- 3rd in 2021

To Min:

- Boeser

- Gaudette

- 2nd in 2021

My reasoning? Yes I'm assuming we'll get Toffoli signed. Tofu covers our 1RW and Benning stating that Mac will be on the team full time, so he would cover our 4RW. 2RW and 3RW can be switched between Leivo and Virtanen with Podkolzin likely coming over half way through next season and Lind as a call up option barring injury.

At this moment, I do not believe Gaudette can improve enough defensively to be our 3C moving forward, and we need that piece to be competitive in the playoffs starting next season. We need to acquire a solid young 2 way C that can make an impact on both ends of the ice. Eriksson Ek is a pain to play against and has a better defensive game than Gaudette, potential to be a great 3C moving forward.

No secret, our defence needs help, especially on the right side. We won't get a good value without giving up good value. Dumba adds a steady top pair RD to play alongside Hughes and be potentially one of the better top pairs in the NHL.

Value wise, to me Boeser and Dumba are a wash at the moment, or close to. Eriksson Ek has more value than Gaudette, but by how much? I'd be willing to give up more to get the proper pieces to create a championship team if need be.

Potentially icing a lineup of (I know there will be other moves and things needed to be done to fit the cap but just as an idea):

Miller - Pettersson - Toffoli

Pearson - Horvat - Virtanen/Leivo

Roussel - Eriksson Ek - Virtanen/Leivo

Motte - Beagle - Macewen

Michaelis

Hughes - Dumba

Edler - Myers

Juolevi - Tanev

Rathbone

Markstrom

Demko

Thoughts?

I know we're weaker on the right side but after watching the Minny series i'd prefer Brodin. He was easily their best defenseman and his ability to rush the puck was surprisingly good. 

Doesn't help Minnesota though.  There are 2 GMs making a trade and it has to help the other team too. Guerin has proven so far that he is not going to make a deal unless it makes his team better.

ErikssonEk is their Koivu replacement.  They have no one else for those tough matchups.  Gaudette is one of the most sheltered players in the league - he can't play against top competition and might not even be a C.  His defensive game needs significant improvement - you even highlight it as an argument to move him.

Not only do they lose their best defensive F, they also weaken their D-corps and don't fill their biggest lineup need and weaken their C-depth even further.  It's not a logical trade if you are the Wild.

In his end of season presser Guerin talked at length of how their biggest need is a C1.  Guerin calls his D-corps elite and says his preference is to keep them intact.  He acknowledges though that they really need to find a C1 and might have to trade one to get that player.  He doesn't think there is a C1 available by trade though so it's unclear if he will even break up his D or wait for a better opportunity.  He spoke of how Fiala drives his own line and would like to find a Bergeron type C to play with him.  He specifically says someone sound defensively - that's just not Gaudette.  

They also have no obvious spot for Boeser.  Guerin was on a podcast earlier this month and was asked why someone like Donato despite his scoring can't be a top-6 regular and is often scratched.  He explained that some veterans have big contracts and need to be in a spot to contribute.  Parise and Zuccarello have NMCs and their contracts have a lot of term left - they will put them in a spot where they can contribute because there's no choice.  Fiala and Kaprizov are players they are building around with Guerin confident they can each drive their own line.  Fiala, Kaprizov and Zuccarello are RWs and one will have to move to the left.  There's no obvious top-6 winger spot open and it's not like they can easily trade Parise or Zuccarello. 

He also identified their lack of foot speed as an issue.  The Wild does not have the foot speed to compensate for Boeser's lack of speed.  They also don't have someone to set him up while in Vancouver he is playing with elite playmaker Pettersson.  He'll probably have a much harder time being productive in Minnesota. 

Guerin does want to make changes but he talked at length of how you need to think of everything and understand how trades impact the roster, the roles of players, prospects and cap not just for the coming year but for the years ahead.  Fenton made some moves that had no real plan - for example he traded for Donato to be a top-6 and then blocked him by adding Zuccarello for 5 years with an NMC. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1