The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

( Rumor) Lehner and Vegas agree to contract

Squamfan

4 hours ago, Timråfan said:

So Vegas will have 12 mill tied up in goalies. 

I suppose Marky want a 30 mill contract in total. 6x5 or 5x6. I think he accepts a 8x3 with no NMC also...  

It makes you wonder if any term over 4 years are likely done for now. CAP is likely frozen for a few years or until Bettman finalizes a new USA broadcast deal. Definitely not until fans are able to attend games. Burkie talked about the new drive to platoon the goal tending role in the NHL as teams don't see value in signing high, long term deals for a single tender. Vegas having Fleury for another 2 years at $7 mil is a classic example. 

22 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

Also Markstrom is a much better goalie. My guess for Marky is between 6.5-7 which would be a pretty good contract for what he's giving us.

Better goalie? Doesn't Lehner have better career numbers? He Shutout us 3 times in 1 round... If I had to choose between the 2 goalies for the same cap hit I would take Lehner, I like Markstrom his injuries concern me a bit as when it comes to crunch time playoff push or in the playoffs he has been injured

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

It makes you wonder if any term over 4 years are likely done for now. CAP is likely frozen for a few years or until Bettman finalizes a new USA broadcast deal. Definitely not until fans are able to attend games. Burkie talked about the new drive to platoon the goal tending role in the NHL as teams don't see value in signing high, long term deals for a single tender. Vegas having Fleury for another 2 years at $7 mil is a classic example. 

Yes, I only said when I believe Marky take a cap friendly deal. Maybe 5x5 is the bottom. 

23 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Better goalie? Doesn't Lehner have better career numbers? He Shutout us 3 times in 1 round... If I had to choose between the 2 goalies for the same cap hit I would take Lehner, I like Markstrom his injuries concern me a bit as when it comes to crunch time playoff push or in the playoffs he has been injure

Hasn't Lehner worked with better defence in front of him?  

Well, Green rode him too much. Back 2 back games is when Demko should have guarded the whole season. 

With our defence and Greens strategy he got insane amount of shots over a long period of time.

Didn't he either set a new record for shots against or came close in this playoff? 

23 hours ago, timberz21 said:

And that is based on what exactly?

Careers:

Markstrom 284GP - 2.81 GAA  0.911SV%

Lehner 315GP - 2.68 GAA 0.918 SV%

Also 1 year younger.

If that's the number i'd rather pass.  6M$ is probably the max I'd be willing to go.  Fleury signed for Vegas at 7M$ around that same age and had 3 cups in his pedigree, that's too much for Markstrom IMO.

22 hours ago, Monty said:

Recency bias.

19 hours ago, Provost said:

Markstrom isn’t significantly better than Lehner.  Lehner actually had a better save percentage last year.  They are pretty equivalent to me.

Lehner was a Vezina finalist before last season too so is a little more storied in his performance than Markstrom.

Signing Markstrom to a really high AAV and term would be problematic.  I also don’t see it with Benning’s repeated statements about needing two good goalies... that goes against paying top dollar for one guy because it doesn’t leave you room to pay a good backup who can play 30 games without killing you.

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Better goalie? Doesn't Lehner have better career numbers? He Shutout us 3 times in 1 round... If I had to choose between the 2 goalies for the same cap hit I would take Lehner, I like Markstrom his injuries concern me a bit as when it comes to crunch time playoff push or in the playoffs he has been injured

Not at all recency bias @Monty but keep stat watching. I'm not going to argue with all of you. I like Lehner because of his story but to me he's an average goalie playing on an excellent teams recently, and he doesn't go anywhere his team doesn't take him. He always leaves big juicy rebounds, and gets fatigued easily because he's so big. Mobility, athleticism, fitness level all come in question for me. All I'll say on this is that the minute you see Vegas's product on the ice drop off you'll see Lehner's numbers take a pretty good dip so you can quote me on that and I'll gladly admit I was wrong about him.

• Wat 4