The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

RIP to Mr Stephen F Cohen

Nuxfanabroad

Sad news of the passing of this great intellectual, at 81 yrs. As corrupt MSM fanned the flames of anti-Russian hysteria, this respected, authentic voice of reason warned the western masses of the deteriorating relationship between the 2 nations.

I learned a lot regarding geopolitical matters over the past decade(approx), just listening to the Princeton professor, on episodes of the John Batchelor(PRN) show.

The mainstream will deflect, and/or minimize such a legend; but many folks will come to understand his magnitude with the passing of time.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

So sad to learn of this.  I listened to this guy whenever I could:  he was a real voice of reason during the Russiagate madness that took hold after 2016.  It's always important to understand how other people see things, especially when they've been pillaged and humiliated like Russia was after 1991.  Steve Cohen patiently explained that to us, and how dangerous it is to paint ourselves into a corner with endless insults and war propaganda against them.  Russians are not our enemy and are not trying to steal our democracy, such as it is.  They are just trying to chart their own course in the world, independent of the US empire.  I wish we could say the same here in Canada.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Robert Long said:

I don't recall watching this fellow, but I do remember the really bad coverage of Russia during the cold war. It was simpler days, white hat vs black hat was pretty much the narrative back then. 

Even as a relatively young man, SC was respected & had involvement & some influence in Russian affairs. He was in attendance at the late 80's Reagan/Gorbachev mtgs/detente.MAN, could this bloke tell tales, & with composed charm & a wicked sense of humour. Will miss his insights, big-time.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

• 1 year later...

Here was a sober, informed voice these times are calling for.

So much of what's happening now he had warned would occur. Think it was monthly he'd drop in on The John Batchelor show. Some of the best online interviews I've ever had the pleasure to enjoy.

He strongly forecasted/warned what was coming. Even published a book on the subject(2019, I believe?), before his passing.

On 9/21/2020 at 12:48 AM, Maniwaki Canuck said:

So sad to learn of this.  I listened to this guy whenever I could:  he was a real voice of reason during the Russiagate madness that took hold after 2016.  It's always important to understand how other people see things, especially when they've been pillaged and humiliated like Russia was after 1991.  Steve Cohen patiently explained that to us, and how dangerous it is to paint ourselves into a corner with endless insults and war propaganda against them.  Russians are not our enemy and are not trying to steal our democracy, such as it is.  They are just trying to chart their own course in the world, independent of the US empire.  I wish we could say the same here in Canada.  

Prescient post, in light of recent events in Ottawa & Europe.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...