The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ESPN Article - Inside the NHL Bubble

Rate this topic

skategal

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/29939605/nhl-bubble-confidential-go-toronto-edmonton-playoff-hubs

9 NHL players on condition of anonymity answered several questions on what life in the bubble was like, both east and west conference teams.  

"Life for the players inside these bubbles has been a mystery. We know they're tested for COVID-19 each day, and through eight weeks and 32,374 tests, there has yet to be a confirmed positive case. We know there are some amenities for them to use away from the rink. But with no independent media in the bubble -- and with candid comments about the emotional strain of this experiment far too infrequent -- many of us don't have a sense of how players have handled this unprecedented experience -- until now, that is.

"We love playing this sport, and I don't think there is one guy who wasn't appreciative for the chance to win the Cup this summer," one Western Conference player said. "But also, I don't think a lot of fans realize what an emotional toll the bubble took on some guys -- the isolation, the grind, being away from our families and loved ones during a really stressful time to begin with. To be honest, after the first few days, I noticed a lot of guys were more down than they usually are. Some guys were legitimately sad. It's not easy living like that for two months."

ESPN debriefed with nine players -- five from the Western Conference and four from the Eastern Conference -- who, on the condition of anonymity, answered dozens of questions about what life was really like inside the bubble, from playing in empty buildings to being trapped in hotels to food, drinking and drugs." 

Article con't.  Didn't quote entirety.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They had weed gummies. That's amazing. Haven't other players in the past been suspended for failing Cannabis drug tests?

On the drug front, the items of choice were cannabis gummies. "The only thing that you really saw advertised was guys that were into their gummies or edibles. And that was usually just used in their rooms," one Eastern Conference player said. 

As with drinking, things seemed to be in moderation in the bubble. "Weed gummies were there, drinking was there, but I think when it came down to it, people were trying to perform the best they can," a Western Conference veteran said. "I don't think guys were drinking to party -- certainly not in excess. When guys were taking weed gummies, it wasn't a 'Let's get high as s--- and do nothing all day.' It was more of a recovery sense or to fall asleep after a game. Instead of falling asleep at 4 or 5 a.m., guys could fall asleep at 1 a.m. so they could get seven hours of sleep."

19 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

They had weed gummies. That's amazing. Haven't other players in the past been suspended for failing Cannabis drug tests?

we in a much different time now. since the bubble is in canada and it's legal here, I'd assume the league is lenient about it, especially with the studies done with cannabis in regards to mental health-- the league was probably lenient about it because they probably KNEW the players were gonna have a hard time in this thing, especially since they couldn't have their families there, when the NBA, i think allowed family in the bubble. i dont blame teams who you thought would go far for tapping out early

Just one more reason to definitely put an asterisk on this cup.   As the hardest one to win since it was first awarded.    Can say I enjoyed the heck out of our run, 17 games was an absolute treat.    Fans of Dallas and TB, Vegas and NYI were given and still are given even more of a ride. Really appreciate that the league went to such lengths to award the cup - and that the players took sacrifices like no other major league sports for us.  Anyone who has also made sacrifices can appreciate what they’ve done - regardless of the pay cheque - and I’m not talking about Covid.   They could have taken the easy road.   But didn’t - and that’s just one more reason why hockey is awesome.    As a fan I’m sure proud of the players and the media and for the league.