The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal -- Trade with Ottawa

3 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

I'd be fine with adding RFAs or cost-controlled guys still on multi-year deals. But the chance of that is probably pretty low. Sutters and Loui's buyouts are pretty close to the same as well. Yes Loui's would extend over 4 years, but the last two are just 667k. 

I’d also like more cheap contracts.   Every fan wants those.   The ones we have at the moment are the fringe guys coming up - which to me at least nullifies any sort of LE trade.   Sucks his last year he’s getting 4 million.   If he wasn’t then maybe then he’d be easy to trade.  It is what it is, his agent kicked tires on every team with no luck, JB shouldn’t be wasting his time on it either.  Let TG decide if he’s worthy of a fourth line spot, if not bury him.    9 million extra in cap space in two years will do wonders for plugging holes.  Like banked money. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Robert Long said:

For sure, I see where you are coming from. Thats why I'm suggesting a limited situation where you're bringing in a good, cost controlled player so the extra 667k in Loui's buyout means a lot less. 

I wouldn't buyout Loui prior to making a move like that though. But lets say Jim finds an RFA right side defence man... yeah then I'd be fine to fit that in by turfing Loui. 

Me too. 

One sometimes hears it suggested that it might be better - as in easier and cheaper - to just keep Loui this year and dump Sutter. In the meantime a Sutterless Canucks would need help on the PK and couldn't Loui help with that? And would it be easier and cheaper to dump Loui next year?

Edited by John_Guest
  • Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, John_Guest said:

One sometimes hears it suggested that it might be better - as in easier and cheaper - to just keep Loui this year and dump Sutter. In the meantime a Sutterless Canucks would need help on the PK and couldn't Loui help with that? And would it be easier and cheaper to dump Loui next year?

Yes and yes.   Next year the cost would go down... really depends a lot on what happens this year though ... 

19 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I doubt the OTT fan base would be all that excited about adding LE to their lineup.  Unless they get something pretty nice in return.   It’s not going to be peanuts. 

If it's NOT peanuts, you simply hold out. Demote him for the yr, & buyout with 1 yr left.

If OTT realizes you won't play ball, the offer could improve.

^That's my read on it. Could be wrong, of course. But I see this as a game of chicken, more so between the owners, not the GM's of the 2 teams.

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

If it's NOT peanuts, you simply hold out. Demote him for the yr, & buyout with 1 yr left.

If OTT realizes you won't play ball, the offer could improve.

^That's my read on it. Could be wrong, of course. But I see this as a game of chicken, more so between the owners, not the GM's of the 2 teams.

Ottawa is already above the floor.  Adding Eriksson just increases their costs + he uses up a roster spot.  

Melnyk said earlier this year that expects his team to make the playoffs this coming season.  He talks of youth in the lineup and being legit contenders in the short future.  They went out and gave 15M to Dadonov over 3 years - doubt they intend to be bad for 2 of those 3 years.  They didn't have to sign him and would have already been above the floor.  Feels like a pretty strong signal that they want to take the next step and aren't looking to be dragged down by bad contracts.  Ottawa has plenty of prospects and at all positions and it's not like they can just continue to add - there are contract limits.  Sounds like they think it's now time to climb up the standings so it doesn't feel like they'd be wanting to add cap dumps.  Teams make more money when their team is successful.  

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, mll said:

Ottawa is already above the floor.  Adding Eriksson just increases their costs + he uses up a roster spot.  

Melnyk said earlier this year that expects his team to make the playoffs this coming season.  He talks of youth in the lineup and being legit contenders in the short future.  They went out and gave 15M to Dadonov over 3 years - doubt they intend to be bad for 2 of those 3 years.  They didn't have to sign him and would have already been above the floor.  Feels like a pretty strong signal that they want to take the next step and aren't looking to be dragged down by bad contracts.  Ottawa has plenty of prospects and at all positions and it's not like they can just continue to add - there are contract limits.  Sounds like they think it's now time to climb up the standings so it doesn't feel like they'd be wanting to add cap dumps.  Teams make more money when their team is successful.  

So that's no problem. you simply demote LE, then buy him out. I'm sure the two GM's must've talked about such options..if there are no takers for the scrap, we should be okay to work around it.

27 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

So that's no problem. you simply demote LE, then buy him out. I'm sure the two GM's must've talked about such options..if there are no takers for the scrap, we should be okay to work around it.

There's no reason for Ottawa to spend that money though and use up their cap space.  They are better off just letting Vancouver deal with Eriksson on their own.