The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Maple Leafs re-sign Jason Spezza

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Canucks have two series wins during the Benning era.  Leafs have none under the Shanaplan.  

I thought they won one or two but choked on boston shortly after both. I dunno. I live in ireland so im not forced to watch the lowlights for six months of the year anymore. 

18 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

not only poor performing contracts but also players that can't contribute on the ice like Ferland... which makes the whole situation even more devastating. Jim and his team they outperform at least 90% of their counterparts around the league.  He's a hell of a GM.

Oh ya - I think Spooner is still on the payroll as well. Luongo isn't his fault that was a screw-job by the league and one of the dumbest things I have ever seen (retroactive penalizing the contract even though the league approved it at the time). It would have been interesting to see how Gillis would have handled that as I don't think he would have rolled over and accepted it but who knows.

When I am bored I look at other teams to see if there are bad contract swaps to give guys a change of scenery and it is hard to find bad contracts on a lot of teams, they might have 1 whereas Van has like half their roster. It is a shame because we have the foundation for a good team and if Benning kept contracts short and collected picks we would have more trade pieces to make more JT Miller type of deals and would be an up and coming contender.

Edited by canucklehead44

17 hours ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

I thought they won one or two but choked on boston shortly after both. I dunno. I live in ireland so im not forced to watch the lowlights for six months of the year anymore. 

Leafs have not one a series under the Shanaplan.  They even lost to Columbus in that play-in series in the bubble.  They Are poorly built.  50% of cap on four guys.  Three guys 11 million plus?  They are not winning with such a poorly run cap.  And that makes Alf :frantic:

13 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Oh ya - I think Spooner is still on the payroll as well. Luongo isn't his fault that was a screw-job by the league and one of the dumbest things I have ever seen (retroactive penalizing the contract even though the league approved it at the time). It would have been interesting to see how Gillis would have handled that as I don't think he would have rolled over and accepted it but who knows.

When I am bored I look at other teams to see if there are bad contract swaps to give guys a change of scenery and it is hard to find bad contracts on a lot of teams, they might have 1 whereas Van has like half their roster. It is a shame because we have the foundation for a good team and if Benning kept contracts short and collected picks we would have more trade pieces to make more JT Miller type of deals and would be an up and coming contender.

Benning said recently we are two years away, right?  All the place holder guys will be gone, and we will have our elite young core established.  We will have our home grown (mostly) supporting players too.  Benning will make a couple key acquisitions over these next two years, which will put into Cup contention.  

All this will occur (is occurring) while the Leafs will continue to sign really old guys like Spezza, Thornton, Simmonds to round out their roster because their cap is totally messed up paying 50% to four guys.  

Edited by Alflives