The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Whiskey creek gas station burns down due to flaming camper van

Fire at Whiskey Creek gas station, Highway 4 has reopened

June 18, 2021 UPDATED
Fire at Whiskey Creek gas station, Highway 4 has reopened
CHEK
Firefighters responding to a gas station fire in Whiskey Creek Thursday.

UPDATE: A stretch of Highway 4 has reopened following a large fire at a gas station in Whiskey Creek.

The fire sparked at the Mid-Island Co-op located along Highway 4, near Epron Rd.

Highway 4 is the route that connects the Inland Island Highway to Port Alberni.

In videos posted to Facebook from passing cars, a white van, which is parked under the Co-op roof located over the pumps, can be seen engulfed in flames.

Thick black smoke can be seen billowing from the gas station lot over the highway.

“Came around the corner there and all you could see was big black smoke coming and next thing you know you get a little closer and all you can see is the RV that was in the gas station there and it’s completely engulfed in flames,” witness James Colby Walker told CHEK News.

Henk Holtkamb, another witness, explains what he saw and heard as he was stopped on the highway.

“Heavy heavy smoke and flames going up and so we stopped here and all of a sudden there were big explosions,”

Numerous mid-Island fire departments responded to the blaze and are continuing to deal with hot spots. As crews continue to work on the scene, images from after the fire show that the structure, as well as the white van, appear to have sustained significant damage.

At this point, the cause of the fire is unknown. It is also not clear whether anyone has been hurt as a result of the blaze.

This is a developing story and will be updated as more information is learned.

IMG_20210617_163500-768x1024.jpg

Courtesy of Chris Cappellani

IMG_20210617_163529-768x1024.jpg

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Sucks, great place to get ice cream after coming back from Cathedral Grove or the Pacific Rim 

Nobody was seriously injured to my knowledge, one of my buddy's daughter was working 

Glad to know no one got injured. They usually have a good selection of fireworks so i was very worried about those going off around people. Yeah im from port alberni so this is heartbreaking for us. Its a local landmark for us and even if it gets rebuilt it will never be the same

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

I have been camping in the area as long as I can remember - so around 55 years! I have watched this store grow and change over the years. Many fond memories there - and way better ice cream than the crowded long line up Coombs Market!

This is heartbreaking!

Thank God we were there last month for what we now know was one last ice cream.

I hope they rebuilt it!!! I know it wont be the same, but maybe with some careful planning it could be even better!

:(

7 hours ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

Glad to know no one got injured. They usually have a good selection of fireworks so i was very worried about those going off around people. Yeah im from port alberni so this is heartbreaking for us. Its a local landmark for us and even if it gets rebuilt it will never be the same

No doubt, it's definitely sad. And yeah, you can't replace it, not really. Lot of memories for people making their way through. 

1 hour ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

Sounds about right for the area. Not exactly a thriving metropolis there

Agreed.  We camp at Little Qualicum sometimes and go to Coombs from time to time, so I sort of know the area.

Heading to Sproat lake this year.  I'll know to not plan on stopping here for ice cream on the way.

13 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Agreed.  We camp at Little Qualicum sometimes and go to Coombs from time to time, so I sort of know the area.

Heading to Sproat lake this year.  I'll know to not plan on stopping here for ice cream on the way.

Take a detour through coombs and go to the market there. They have a good ice cream spot plus a donut store that is awesome. Plus seeing the goats is always fun

11 minutes ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

Take a detour through coombs and go to the market there. They have a good ice cream spot plus a donut store that is awesome. Plus seeing the goats is always fun

Goats on the roof at the Old Country Market--one of the coolest things for your little kids or grand kids to see while enjoying an ice cream cone from the Coombs Ice Cream Parlour.  One of my family's favorite pit stops on Vancouver Island.

Hope everyone is okay at the Whiskey River Co-op.

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Sucks, great place to get ice cream after coming back from Cathedral Grove or the Pacific Rim 

Nobody was seriously injured to my knowledge, one of my buddy's daughter was working 

didnt the dude drive his trailer into the parking lot while his camper was on fire so he could get a hose or something? thats what i read on facebook so who knows if its true but what an idiot if it is.

5 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

didnt the dude drive his trailer into the parking lot while his camper was on fire so he could get a hose or something? thats what i read on facebook so who knows if its true but what an idiot if it is.

That's what I've heard, but my dad said he was looking for a fire extinguisher 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

i know but pulls up too a gas station while its on fire lol, guess he was panicking 

Must have been, my first thought would be get out of of vehicle and call 911

Not worth having something explode 

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Must have been, my first thought would be get out of of vehicle and call 911

Not worth having something explode 

not sure what type of trailer it was, but shouldnt they have some on deck already.

9 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

Sadly there was plenty of safer space just 100 feet up the road. Theres a borderline abandoned storage facility there but would have been a much safer place to pull into