The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 NHL Entry Draft

On 12/16/2021 at 8:00 PM, hammertime said:

For anyone interested here is Will Scouches list from today. I found the order he has for D especially interesting.  Lambert still in the #2 spot as well.

Screenshot (17).png

Not the greatest source, but cool to see someone else as high or higher on Trikozov and Odellius than I am. Wow he's really not a McGroarty fan.

15 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Not the greatest source, but cool to see someone else as high or higher on Trikozov and Odellius than I am. Wow he's really not a McGroarty fan.

There isn't a one source to rule them all source. Yes even the mighty B Mac's lists are just another set of opinions. No one's got a crystal ball. I think Scouch does a pretty good job of presenting what he believes are players strengths and weaknesses from his viewings of the players. It's  up to the viewer/reader what they want to do with the info or if they even agree with it at all from their own viewings.  I have more respect for Scouch's opinions than I do Button. 

I'm also really liking Trikozov. Not so high on Odellius though. He's a great skater but not much else was noticeable to me the few times I have watched him se seemed to throw the puck away under pressure and didn't really strike me as a high IQ player. I'm 100% ready to eat crow on that assessment though. I'll need to watch more games.

4 hours ago, hammertime said:

There isn't a one source to rule them all source. Yes even the mighty B Mac's lists are just another set of opinions. No one's got a crystal ball. I think Scouch does a pretty good job of presenting what he believes are players strengths and weaknesses from his viewings of the players. It's  up to the viewer/reader what they want to do with the info or if they even agree with it at all from their own viewings.  I have more respect for Scouch's opinions than I do Button. 

I'm also really liking Trikozov. Not so high on Odellius though. He's a great skater but not much else was noticeable to me the few times I have watched him se seemed to throw the puck away under pressure and didn't really strike me as a high IQ player. I'm 100% ready to eat crow on that assessment though. I'll need to watch more games.

There is definitely value to be found in Scouch's content. Just don't think his rankings are particularly useful. His analyses are great, but always weak on context.

There is no be-all, end-all, sure. But as I seem to say about 100 times a year, there are better and worse assessments. Bob's list might not be perfect, but it is by far the best thing available to us as fans. Central would probably be a distant second. Not sure how SportsNet compiles their list but with the resources and connections at their disposal, I'm assuming they are worth paying attention to. McKeen and ISS used to be top end, but not so sure anymore. Smaht is a newer resource but seems to be quite high quality. There's a few other pretty good sources out there too, but names are escaping me.

Owen Beck starting to really look like a stud muffin.

The 6'0 190lb 2 way right shot C is IMO the OHL's premier FO guy at 60+% on 531 faceoffs taken in 26 games as a 17 year old is legit. He has an absolutely wicked shot and has a nose around the net. With 24 points in 26 games he is certainly one to watch. 

Quality hatty here 2 absolute snipes. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

Few guys that peak my interest. 

Ruslan Gazizov Offensive dynamo playing for London currently on the wing. Highly touted seems to be streaky. 10pts in 5 games at Hilinka.  

Jani Nyman 6'3 210 pwf LW putting up decent numbers in Mestis. Was incredible at the Hilinka. 

Otto Salin RHD High IQ calm under pressure good in transition. Seems to be too good for Finnish U20 looking forward to watching him in Liiga. Also a Hilinka standout

Anybody watching these guys?? Have any insight? Few 3rd round steals here??

Edited by hammertime

11 hours ago, hammertime said:

Few guys that peak my interest. 

Ruslan Gazizov Offensive dynamo playing for London currently on the wing. Highly touted seems to be streaky. 10pts in 5 games at Hilinka.  

Jani Nyman 6'3 210 pwf LW putting up decent numbers in Mestis. Was incredible at the Hilinka. 

Otto Salin RHD High IQ calm under pressure good in transition. Seems to be too good for Finnish U20 looking forward to watching him in Liiga. Also a Hilinka standout

Anybody watching these guys?? Have any insight? Few 3rd round steals here??

Gazizov is an incredible playmaker. Reminiscent of Vsevolod Gaidamak last year (or to some extent Beniers) where he thinks and processes the game at such a high level but the question is whether his technical skills (hands and feet) can keep up with his head. Dude made things easy for Miroshnichenko at Hlinkas; set him up in prime scoring positions with some brilliant passing plays. Solid body can handle some traffic down low too.

• Cheers 1

On 12/23/2021 at 8:56 AM, Bure_Pavel said:

Jani Nyman

Kevin Korchinski

Denton Mateychuk

All seem like good sleep picks 

I feel like Mateychuk is getting a pretty good amount of love out there. EP has him all the way up at 7OA I dunno about that but IMO if he's there 25-35 I think he's a quality choice. A slick skating PMD currently 2nd in WHL D scoring I can see why he's getting all the attention. That said I don't think I would grab him with a Canucks pick unless we picked up a mid 2nd and miraculously he was still on the board. Too many other tantalizing prospects that better fit our group. Like.....

Nyman I'm on the Nyman hype train. From what I understand he had quite the growth spurt. Now standing 6'3 215 he has relentless hustle skates really well and protects the puck like a young Jake Virtanen. If he has even half the rocks for brains he could be twice the player.

Lil tire pump. #12 

Gotta keep his head up though.

Not always gonna be able to breeze around the ice.

Edited by hammertime

18 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Not 2022 draft related, but the Oilers might have unearthed a gem in Germany's Luca Munzenberger (3rd round 2021). He looks dominant out there at times.

Tell us more about him. I haven't had a chance to watch any world juniors :(

6 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Tell us more about him. I haven't had a chance to watch any world juniors :(

He plays nasty like Ladislav Smid, and has a long skating stride similar to Jay Bouwmeester. He has very quick feet for a guy his size, and has shown on occasion that he likes to rush the puck - and there was at least one instance where he dumped the puck into the corner and went after it himself. He's a very raw kid, but he has good control over the game and shows good defensive IQ. His abrasive style kind of reminds me of Romanov a bit, but I want to be careful making that comparison because Romanov is one hell of a player. :lol: But I'm seeing a trend in Edmonton with their blue line. They've quietly strung together a nice group of young Dmen who have size, mobility, and/or nastiness. Nurse, Broberg, Bouchard, Lagesson, Niemelainen (nasty mofo), Samorukov, and possibly Munzenberger is not a group to scoff at...

• Thanks 3
  • Cheers 1

So with the WJC cancelled. 

Does Lamberts performances against Germany and Austria put him back in top 10 consideration? I really would have liked to see him against some stiffer competition. On the one side I thought he looked great on the other I've also seen him not look so great this year. I want to believe. 

Wright hmmmm pretty underwhelming I was hoping to see him put a stamp on this 1st OA status. I'm beginning to get more and more of the impression that he is an early bloomer. Could have just been buried on a stacked team Canada. He did really well in the dot which is great. Didn't seem to have Cameron's trust which is less great. I am by no means disparaging Wright I think he should be #1 on our draft board even if he doesn't reach superstar status at the very least he is exactly the type of 2/3 C we need. So... WIN.... win.  

Yurov got himself in the action. He was visible on the ice in some ways better than others. He got himself a pretty lucky goal too to show for it. I thought he was an overall contributor in the games he played. 

Slafkovski's skating looked worrisome. I was reminded of watching how Power moved in his draft year and why I was more attracted to how Edvinsson and Helenious were so much more agile for their size. Hasn't been much of an issue for Power yet

Cooley I thought had a pretty beauty assist and overall good outing against Slovakia. 

Kemell I don't think we saw the best of what he can bring  He got his bell rung big time and I thought he struggled to find his footing though he did launch a rocket off the post in his last outing. He's looked a bit off since return from injury. A lil crash back to reality probably isn't the worst thing for him after his godly start to the year. 

Nemec was always dangerous to loosely quote Garland " I know I'm playing well when they are all over me."  Nemec despite seemingly always having a body on him managed 9 shots. I thought he really fought through adversity well. 

In conclusion I'm really bummed 2 games in miss matches isn't really much to go on. I was really looking forward to this tournament. Not much to really move the needle for me.

Lambert, Edvinsson, Michkov, Bedard, Koivunen, Helenius, Wallstedt, McTavish  were stand outs for me for whatever its worth Thought Bichsel looked pretty good in his 1 game too. 

On 12/29/2021 at 8:57 PM, hammertime said:

So with the WJC cancelled. 

Does Lamberts performances against Germany and Austria put him back in top 10 consideration? I really would have liked to see him against some stiffer competition. On the one side I thought he looked great on the other I've also seen him not look so great this year. I want to believe. 

Wright hmmmm pretty underwhelming I was hoping to see him put a stamp on this 1st OA status. I'm beginning to get more and more of the impression that he is an early bloomer. Could have just been buried on a stacked team Canada. He did really well in the dot which is great. Didn't seem to have Cameron's trust which is less great. I am by no means disparaging Wright I think he should be #1 on our draft board even if he doesn't reach superstar status at the very least he is exactly the type of 2/3 C we need. So... WIN.... win.  

Yurov got himself in the action. He was visible on the ice in some ways better than others. He got himself a pretty lucky goal too to show for it. I thought he was an overall contributor in the games he played. 

Slafkovski's skating looked worrisome. I was reminded of watching how Power moved in his draft year and why I was more attracted to how Edvinsson and Helenious were so much more agile for their size. Hasn't been much of an issue for Power yet

Cooley I thought had a pretty beauty assist and overall good outing against Slovakia. 

Kemell I don't think we saw the best of what he can bring  He got his bell rung big time and I thought he struggled to find his footing though he did launch a rocket off the post in his last outing. He's looked a bit off since return from injury. A lil crash back to reality probably isn't the worst thing for him after his godly start to the year. 

Nemec was always dangerous to loosely quote Garland " I know I'm playing well when they are all over me."  Nemec despite seemingly always having a body on him managed 9 shots. I thought he really fought through adversity well. 

In conclusion I'm really bummed 2 games in miss matches isn't really much to go on. I was really looking forward to this tournament. Not much to really move the needle for me.

Lambert, Edvinsson, Michkov, Bedard, Koivunen, Helenius, Wallstedt, McTavish  were stand outs for me for whatever its worth Thought Bichsel looked pretty good in his 1 game too. 

Not sure Lambert was ever out of top ten contention, but these two games have almost no impact on his real-world draft rankings. For more casual fans for whom this was still an early viewing, sure it will have a major impact, but for more hardcore draft fans and real scouts, these couple games are just another drop in the bucket. I'd say he's still somewhere right around around the 10 mark. If anything, I guess a good way to put it might be that this tournament helped stop or slow the bleeding.

Man oh man, I've been a major proponent for the narrative that this is an exceptional draft class, and while I still believe the top 10-15 is as deep as we've seen in a long time, nobody is managing to grab the bull by the horns and take the number one draft spot. At this point, I guess I would still have Wright first overall, but that is becoming extremely tenuous.

Miro not making Russia is worrisome and somewhat deserved. We know Russia generally doesn't like using under-aged players at this tournament, and Miro hasn't stood out enough this year to force his way onto the team.

Of draft eligible players, Nemec and Yurov impressed me the most at the World Juniors. As with Lambert, this tournament had very little impact, particularly for Yurov for me, since I've already seen a $&!#-ton of him. I hadn't seen nearly as much of Nemec, so this was a fairly valuable data set for me. Both are almost solidified as top 5 picks for me, and with Wright and Miro's struggles, both Yurov and Nemec will now be right in the mix for first overall pick on my next rankings. Slafkovsky is still up there, but a little similar to Miro I think. We can very clearly see all the raw talent and potential, but at a certain point they need to start showing they can do something with it at the pro level.

• Cheers 1

On 1/2/2022 at 10:44 AM, HighOnHockey said:

Not sure Lambert was ever out of top ten contention, but these two games have almost no impact on his real-world draft rankings. For more casual fans for whom this was still an early viewing, sure it will have a major impact, but for more hardcore draft fans and real scouts, these couple games are just another drop in the bucket. I'd say he's still somewhere right around around the 10 mark. If anything, I guess a good way to put it might be that this tournament helped stop or slow the bleeding.

Man oh man, I've been a major proponent for the narrative that this is an exceptional draft class, and while I still believe the top 10-15 is as deep as we've seen in a long time, nobody is managing to grab the bull by the horns and take the number one draft spot. At this point, I guess I would still have Wright first overall, but that is becoming extremely tenuous.

Miro not making Russia is worrisome and somewhat deserved. We know Russia generally doesn't like using under-aged players at this tournament, and Miro hasn't stood out enough this year to force his way onto the team.

Of draft eligible players, Nemec and Yurov impressed me the most at the World Juniors. As with Lambert, this tournament had very little impact, particularly for Yurov for me, since I've already seen a $&!#-ton of him. I hadn't seen nearly as much of Nemec, so this was a fairly valuable data set for me. Both are almost solidified as top 5 picks for me, and with Wright and Miro's struggles, both Yurov and Nemec will now be right in the mix for first overall pick on my next rankings. Slafkovsky is still up there, but a little similar to Miro I think. We can very clearly see all the raw talent and potential, but at a certain point they need to start showing they can do something with it at the pro level.

I've had a nice amount of time off during the Xmas break to relax and watch some games with the WJC cancelled and about 3 or 4 days of -28 I turned my attention to some CHL/SHL/Liiga footage.  Things are starting to come together in terms of tiers for me. 

Tier 1 I think you could make a really strong argument for any of these guys 1st OA

Wright C The combination of ceiling, floor,  positional value and style of play keep him at the top for now. He's got those foundational qualities you love to see. 

Nemec RHD He's IMO got the most complete tool box for D in the draft he's a high end player in all 3 zones. He's got a pair of huevos on him too.  

Yurov RW Multi threat incredible shot, sublime playmaking, physical edginess. Creates time and space for everyone he plays with, you have to respect him or he will make you pay.  

Kemell RW/C He's a shark with a frickin laser beam. Not blazing fast but he gets around. He's pretty chippy get's involved in the game within the game. His play with and without the puck is excellent.

Savoie C If he was 2 inches taller he would be 1st OA with a bullet. I'm more impressed with the roundness of Savoie's game and ability to get to the middle and use his lethal shot than I was with Jack Hughes in his draft year. 

Tier 2 The high ceiling high floor guys safe to say you're getting a top 6 or top 4.

Jiricek RHD He's big he's nasty he skates really well has a rocket, rarely beat 1 on 1. Reminds me a bit of Bieksa in terms of bad pinches and cowboy ill timed aggressive play that isn't always effective. Double edged sword. I'd much rather have him on my team than the opposition though. 

Lambert RW Speed kills he's the best puck carrier through the neutral zone in this draft class. I find myself frustrated with him some games he looks like the complete package and others a complete yard sale. I think he's a top 10 pick depending on how his interviews go. 

Slafkovski C/LW Cruise missile. Good speed no lateral movement. Really good hands and vision. Can completely take over a game. Kind of reminds me of Hanzel. 

Cooley C/LW Oozing skill he get's you out of your seat. I think he will struggle to play his style in the NHL but I said the same about Zegras and he's pulling off alley-oops  in the NHL. "There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

Tier 3  your Bo Horvat's and Hamhuis's

Marco Kaspar C/RW He's feisty, really good in the paint, great positioning in all 3 zones he's ticking all the boxes I look for in a 2/3C

Owen Beck C Dominant in the dot. Really good wheels and ooooh boy can he snipe. A menace on the forecheck I really enjoy watching this kid. 

Ryan Chesley RHD He may fall outside the 1st his game is rooted in sound defensive positioning. He's got great footwork and a heavy point shot I'm really surprised he hasn't been on the score sheet more this year. 

Rutger McGroarty C/LW I think if anyone can really improve their stock by improving their skating he can. He gets around quite well in spite of his mechanics. I feel like there is a good amount of untapped power left in his stroke. He's strong like an ox and can both create and finish. 

Seamus Casey RHD My one big swing in this tier. There is sooo much upside I see why people have him up with the top tier of this draft class. The odd's are long in my view that he's the next Jarred Spurgeon but I'm a believer. 

Connor Geekie C/LW He's massive and incredibly good at creating zone entries has wonderful hands. He's also soft and I believe miscast as a C. He's almost certainly a player though I question his top 6 potential at times.  He's somewhere between Chaisson and Jeff Carter. I'm hoping for the latter. 

Jani Nyman LW He's up there with Lambert in terms of puck carrying. Big power forward with speed to burn defenders. Can't hit the broad side of a barn with his heavy shot but when he does it often results in a goal. Maybe not the highest IQ player but he backchecks hard and his tools are rare too rare to hope he's gonna be on the board later. This kid had a major growth spurt I feel like he's just beginning to get a handle on going from being an average sized player to 6'4 215 in a very short period.

Tier 4 These guy's are all either ranked much higher or much lower but this is where I like them in my dingers (Home runs) and bunts (elite role players) tier. 

Frank Nazar RW I'm 100% certain I have him too low. Ill need to watch him more. He's pesky and skilled with quick cuts to beat defenders. Strength is a concern. 

Miroschnichenko RW He's dropped down my board upside is sky high but he's been kind of underwhelming in the VHL this year. At this point I don't have the same confidence in him I once did but I'm far from ready to write the kid off. 

Isaac Howard LW One of the most offensively gifted players in the draft. Will it translate though........... I'm not quite sold....Yet.

Nathan Gaucher C Not so sure about top 6 upside here but he's one hell of a 3C candidate who can close out games and make life incredibly difficult to get anything going for the opposition.

Lian Bichsel LD 6'5 defensive D who skates in all 4 directions really well. He's a nasty piece of business too. 

Tristan Luneau RHD NHL size good skating explosive shot, offensively there's top pairing upside he's a long term project certainly worth undertaking.

Maverick Lammeroux RD I like the description he's like an octopus he covers a lot of ice with his reach. For a big man he moves around the ice so well. He's a big minute shutdown D. Nic Hague would be my NHL comparable. :picard: I still can't believe JB picked Lind over Hague in no universe was Hague not going to be a NHL D.

Tier 5 NHL Hopefuls. Guys I hope will be there for our 2nd. In no particular order at this time. 

Owen Pickering LD, Bystedt C, Forsmark LD, Trikozov LW/C,  Mesar RW, Otto Salin RD, Salomonson RD, Mateychuk LD, Del Bel Beluz C, Gazizov RW/C, Duda LD, Kulich C, Ohgren C, Lekkerimaki C, Korchinski LD, Gauthier C/RW, Mintyukov LD

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

I've had a nice amount of time off during the Xmas break to relax and watch some games with the WJC cancelled and about 3 or 4 days of -28 I turned my attention to some CHL/SHL/Liiga footage.  Things are starting to come together in terms of tiers for me. 

Tier 1 I think you could make a really strong argument for any of these guys 1st OA

Wright C The combination of ceiling, floor,  positional value and style of play keep him at the top for now. He's got those foundational qualities you love to see. 

Nemec RHD He's IMO got the most complete tool box for D in the draft he's a high end player in all 3 zones. He's got a pair of huevos on him too.  

Yurov RW Multi threat incredible shot, sublime playmaking, physical edginess. Creates time and space for everyone he plays with, you have to respect him or he will make you pay.  

Kemell RW/C He's a shark with a frickin laser beam. Not blazing fast but he gets around. He's pretty chippy get's involved in the game within the game. His play with and without the puck is excellent.

Savoie C If he was 2 inches taller he would be 1st OA with a bullet. I'm more impressed with the roundness of Savoie's game and ability to get to the middle and use his lethal shot than I was with Jack Hughes in his draft year. 

Tier 2 The high ceiling high floor guys safe to say you're getting a top 6 or top 4.

Jiricek RHD He's big he's nasty he skates really well has a rocket, rarely beat 1 on 1. Reminds me a bit of Bieksa in terms of bad pinches and cowboy ill timed aggressive play that isn't always effective. Double edged sword. I'd much rather have him on my team than the opposition though. 

Lambert RW Speed kills he's the best puck carrier through the neutral zone in this draft class. I find myself frustrated with him some games he looks like the complete package and others a complete yard sale. I think he's a top 10 pick depending on how his interviews go. 

Slafkovski C/LW Cruise missile. Good speed no lateral movement. Really good hands and vision. Can completely take over a game. Kind of reminds me of Hanzel. 

Cooley C/LW Oozing skill he get's you out of your seat. I think he will struggle to play his style in the NHL but I said the same about Zegras and he's pulling off alley-oops  in the NHL. "There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

Tier 3  your Bo Horvat's and Hamhuis's

Marco Kaspar C/RW He's feisty, really good in the paint, great positioning in all 3 zones he's ticking all the boxes I look for in a 2/3C

Owen Beck C Dominant in the dot. Really good wheels and ooooh boy can he snipe. A menace on the forecheck I really enjoy watching this kid. 

Ryan Chesley RHD He may fall outside the 1st his game is rooted in sound defensive positioning. He's got great footwork and a heavy point shot I'm really surprised he hasn't been on the score sheet more this year. 

Rutger McGroarty C/LW I think if anyone can really improve their stock by improving their skating he can. He's strong like an ox and can both create and finish. 

Seamus Casey RHD My one big swing in this tier. There is sooo much upside I see why people have him up with the top tier of this draft class. But the odd's are long in my view that he's the next Jarred Spurgeon. 

Connor Geekie C/LW He's massive and incredibly good at creating zone entries has wonderful hands. He's also soft and I believe miscast as a C. He's almost certainly a player though I question his top 6 potential.  

Janni Nyman LW He's up there with Lambert in terms of puck carrying. Big power forward with speed to burn defenders. Can't hit the broad side of a barn with his heavy shot but when he does it often results in a goal. Maybe not the highest IQ player but his tools are rare too rare to hope he's gonna be on the board later. This kid had a major growth spurt I feel like he's just beginning to get a handle on going from being an average sized player to becoming 6'4 215 in a very short period.

Tier 4 These guy's are all either ranked much higher or much lower but this is where I like them in my dingers and bunts tier.

Frank Nazar RW I'm 100% certain I have him too low. Ill need to watch him more. He's pesky and skilled with quick cuts to beat defenders. Strength is a concern. 

Miroschnichenko RW He's dropped down my board upside is sky high but he's been kind of underwhelming in the VHL this year. At this point I don't have the same confidence in him I once did but I'm far from ready to write the kid off. 

Isaac Howard LW One of the most offensively gifted players in the draft. Will it translate though........... I'm not quite sold. 

Lian Bichsel LD 6'5 defensive D who skates in all 4 directions really well. He's a nasty piece of business too. 

Tristan Luneau RHD NHL size good skating explosive shot, offensively there's top pairing upside he's a long term project certainly worth undertaking.

Maveric Lammeroux RD I like the description he's like an octopus he covers a lot of ice with his reach. For a big man he moves around the ice so well. He's a big minute shutdown D. Nic Hague would be my NHL comparable. :picard: I still can't believe JB picked Lind over Hague in no universe was Hague not going to be a NHL D.

Tier 5 NHL Hopefuls your top 6 or bust guys and safer bottom 6ers. In no particular order. 

Owen Pickering LD, Bystedt C, Forsmark LD, Trikozov LW/C,  Mesar RW, Otto Salin RD, Salomonson RD, Mateychuk LD, Del Bel Beluz C, Gazizov RW/C, Duda LD, Kulich C, Ohgren C, Lekkerimaki C, Korchinski LD, Gauthier C/RW, Mintyukov LD

Appreciate the rankings! I haven't watched a ton of Miroshnichenko, why do you find him so underwhelming this year?

• Cheers 1

On 1/2/2022 at 7:13 PM, Stech said:

Appreciate the rankings! I haven't watched a ton of Miroshnichenko, why do you find him so underwhelming this year?

I've found him hesitant. The VHL is a tough league and he's been struggling with less time and space. Don't get me wrong he's one hell of a player at the beginning of the year I had him top 5 it's more a matter of other players passing him than him playing poorly. At least for me. I know @HighOnHockey is really high on Miro and has probably watched more of his games than I have. I'm not seeing him contributing in enough areas of the ice to justify him in my top 10 right now. I have him with Howard and Nazar who are really excellent company they are also spectacularly gifted offensive players. If Miro finds his legs in the 2nd half here I'm eager to move him back up my board I have been keeping tabs on this player for 3 years now I really like him. 

Edited by hammertime

12 hours ago, Stech said:

12 hours ago, hammertime said:

I've found him hesitant. The VHL is a tough league and he's been struggling with less time and space. Don't get me wrong he's one hell of a player at the beginning of the year I had him top 5 it's more a matter of other players passing him than him playing poorly. At least for me. I know @HighOnHockey is really high on Miro and has probably watched more of his games than I have. I'm not seeing him contributing in enough areas of the ice to justify him in my top 10 right now. I have him with Howard and Nazar who are really excellent company they are also spectacularly gifted offensive players. If Miro finds his legs in the 2nd half here I'm eager to move him back up my board I have been keeping tabs on this player for 3 years now I really like him. 

For perspective Hamhuis is my all time favorite Canuck hence my user name. I place a good amount of value on contributions that don't show on a players stat line but rather in the W column. I think you can probably relate Stetch ignoring the odd own goal I loved how well he walked the line in the ozone and aggressively at the other end of the rink forced teams offside on the rush. Despite his size he drew a line in the sand and you had to go through him to cross it.   

No question Miroshnichenko has underwhelmed this year. As to Hammer's suggestion I have probably seen more of Miro, I would say it is extremely likely. Every draft there seems to be a couple players I happen to catch early on and really enjoy watching play, so I end up with a dizzying amount of viewings. Raymond and Holtz a couple years ago for instance, I had 25-30 viewings each by the time of the draft. Last year there was nobody I was quite so intrigued by, but I guess I had upwards of 15 viewings on Svechkov and Clarke by the draft. Since I first saw Miro and Michkov go nuclear at YOGs, I've been obsessed with both. Between YOG, 5NU17s, U18s, Hlinkas, MHL, I had more than 20 viewings on Miro already coming into the season. Have added another 4 in VHL this year but mostly early in the year; it's probably been a couple months now actually.

So let me start with what I liked about Miro, in brief. He was clearly very highly skilled, and that skill was flowing with power. First things you notice are the power in his skating stride and his shot. Outside of the game, you see at 16 he was already listed at 6'1 and 185 lbs. What takes a little longer to notice, is that he has some of the most astonishing passing vision you've seen from any prospect in many years. But here I think is where the controversy and discrepancies of opinion comes in: depending which games you watch at which level, you may notice right away, or you might still not have seen it yet - but when he's at his best Miroshnichenko is a rabid dog: chasing down pucks like meat on a bone; a la Matthews or Ovechkin, the rest of his line will be retreating from the offensive zone starting into their transition defense, while Miro still knows he can get the puck back and score a goal. Carrying the puck down the wing, lowering his shoulder and powering toward the net, playing in his own age group nobody could stop him. He also has a remarkable skill for bouncing off of checks and absorbing the momentum to accelerate into rapid change of direction or curl-backs. He also is capable of hitting like a cement truck. I could go on, but I think you get the picture.

Now the issue: Miro has always been immensely skilled, and he's also always been one of the bigger, stonger kids in his age group. So a. he was able to play his power game without too much difficulty, as he was just naturally sturdier and more powerful than his peers (just look at the kid's neck and jaw in his profile pictures) but b. also he was simply skilled enough that he could dominate on skill alone. When you first see him make the jump to higher levels, you would always see less of the power game initially and more of him relying on his talents. Eventually, the power game would come, but it has always been inconsistent. Humans naturally tend toward the path of least resistance, and it is a hell of a lot more painful and more hard work to play that kind of power game that makes Miro so special when he brings it - hitting, bouncing off of checks, lowering the shoulder and powering down the wing with opponents hanging off you, charging with the puck into traffic.

February of 2020, after 5NU17s, I said there were two players clearly above the rest of the class for 2022 - Wright and Miroshnichenko. Last season it was frustrating watching Miro in MHL as he was so inconsistent, but he did occasionally bring his A game, and those instances were enough to keep him number 2 for me coming into this season - as all the physical gifts are there, for Miro it all comes down to the mental game of putting it all together and bringing it every night. But even at 16 in MHL last year he was already at least average size and was able to hold his own physically. This year against men in a good league, those glimpses of what I want to see from him are few and far between. He'll be a good NHL player one way or another, just based on his frame, vision, skating and shot, but whether he can be great is all going to come down to passion and willingness to lean into the pain. If he can find the desire and commitment to bring that fire and to be the rabid dog night in and night out over an 82 game schedule, he could be a very special player.

• Cheers 1

The natural comparison that comes to mind for me for Miro. Is Alexander Semin. I could be completely wrong but that's the comparison that came to me naturally. Extremely talented but not necessarily a play driver. It sounds like HoH has seen a ton more footage then me. I'm curious what you guys think of that comparison. That is who he reminds me of.