The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Signing Getzlaf, Keeping Edler and Schmidt

Hi everyone, 

I don't post on here as much as I used to but wanted to offer up a proposal that I think will round out our roster quite nicely for opening night.

This roster assumes our RFA's (EP40, QH43, and CG83) all sign to reasonable deals but I won't speculate what sum and year each player will agree to.

Proposal:

1. Sign Getzlaf ~2M/1year (approximate value. Will fill a similar role as Perry in MTL and Thornton in TOR)

2. Re-sign Edler (~2M/1year (approximate value. Gives Edler one last kick at the can. I know OEL replaces Edler and there's talk that Edler is as good as gone.....  but I see this as an excellent pairing and believe the two Swedes could complement each other. Edler would be a heck of an upgrade over Demers or Lyubushkin who OEL played with in Arizona.

3. Keep Schmidt (His trade value is low right now and it will be higher towards the Trade Deadline - keep him until then)

2021/22 Roster:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Garland - Horvat - Hoglander

Pearson - Dickinson - Podkolzin

Motte - Getzlaf - Highmore

MacKewan

OEL - Edler

Hughes - Rathbone

Schmidt - Myers

Demko

I see this roster as very well-balanced and it doesn't involve GMJB breaking the bank during Free Agency. 

Schmidt can leave at the deadline to free up cap space, and neither Getzlaf nor Edler will cause cap problems going forward.

Let me know what you guys think! :)   

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

I don't think Getznolafs wants to play in VAN.....or Schmidt....or Edler

I don't think Schmidt has a choice lol and he's way better than most of the dmen on the market currently. I'd wait before trading him. 

Edler I think could be convinced to come back. And Getzlaf is my go-to pick to play 4C but it could really be any veteran that has size and skill 

My feeling with Getzlaf is that he’d likely sign with a team currently contending for a cup if he was to leave Anaheim.  These are your NYI’s, Carolina’s, Vegas’, Tampa’s, etc.  The Canucks have a bright future but we aren’t in that category yet.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Zoolander said:

Hi everyone, 

I don't post on here as much as I used to but wanted to offer up a proposal that I think will round out our roster quite nicely for opening night.

This roster assumes our RFA's (EP40, QH43, and CG83) all sign to reasonable deals but I won't speculate what sum and year each player will agree to.

Proposal:

1. Sign Getzlaf ~2M/1year (approximate value. Will fill a similar role as Perry in MTL and Thornton in TOR)

2. Re-sign Edler (~2M/1year (approximate value. Gives Edler one last kick at the can. I know OEL replaces Edler and there's talk that Edler is as good as gone.....  but I see this as an excellent pairing and believe the two Swedes could complement each other. Edler would be a heck of an upgrade over Demers or Lyubushkin who OEL played with in Arizona.

3. Keep Schmidt (His trade value is low right now and it will be higher towards the Trade Deadline - keep him until then)

2021/22 Roster:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Garland - Horvat - Hoglander

Pearson - Dickinson - Podkolzin

Motte - Getzlaf - Highmore

MacKewan

OEL - Edler

Hughes - Rathbone

Schmidt - Myers

Demko

I see this roster as very well-balanced and it doesn't involve GMJB breaking the bank during Free Agency. 

Schmidt can leave at the deadline to free up cap space, and neither Getzlaf nor Edler will cause cap problems going forward.

Let me know what you guys think! :)   

I agree with keeping Schmidt, but we really don't need Edler now. OEL is coming in to replace Edler - and is going to be better than Edler ever was for us. 

Also your D pairs are all wonky - you have Edler on the right side, Rathbone on the right side, and you've got Hughes with Rathbone (that pairing is going to have the worst +/- in the history of the NHL). 

Remember that OEL is a top pairing, offensively dynamic d-man who is fairly defensively aware and responsible. He doesn't need a slow stay at home partner that'll chip the puck out to center ice to escape - he needs someone who can keep up and plays a similarly balanced style. Given that Schmidt's natural side is his right side (even though he shoots left), this makes Schmidt the perfect partner for OEL. They play complementary styles and would be an absolute nightmare to play against. Together they'd be a bigger offensive threat than Hughes currently is, and wouldn't be defensive liabilities. 

OEL-Schmidt (one of the best pairings in the league)
Hughes-Savard (or some other stay at home rhd d that can let Hughes do his thing- and against lesser lines b/c other teams will be busy trying to handle OEL/Schmidt)
Juolevi-Myers (Juolevi played great defensively last year, will continue to improve, and Myers is prone to make way fewer gaffes when he's not shouldering top pairing responsibilities and minutes. Personally I think Myers will thrive in this role - he can play his game which is more offensive-orientated, against inferior opponents)

Every one of our D pairings becomes a threat, and none would be liabilities. There's enough defensive responsibility in there to build a couple PK units- OEL, new stay at home guy like Savard, eventually Juolevi... 

This isn't the time to re-sign edler, we need a big upgrade on the right side in the form of a stay at home d-man to round out the vision

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Zoolander said:

I don't think Schmidt has a choice lol and he's way better than most of the dmen on the market currently. I'd wait before trading him. 

Edler I think could be convinced to come back. And Getzlaf is my go-to pick to play 4C but it could really be any veteran that has size and skill 

Probably get more for Schmidt at trade deadline