The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] is WAR a broken stat?

Rate this topic

The_Rocket

4 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Its almost like being on good teams is beneficial for a role players advanced stats. 

And no.. I'm not a prophet. 

Imagine that.   Maybe hockey historian's will go back, watch old tape with a stop watch, and find out that the MTL dynasty had the puck on their sticks for 72% of the time.   Would have been more but Ken Dryden used to deliberately let one in - give a player a juicy rebound, lol, just to give his team some sort of adversity.     I'm probably being too hard on this thread.   Believe they do have a place in this sport (analytics) but they have to be viewed from a pretty wide lens that most importantly includes a lot of actual watching the player in question.   Basic stats for sure give one a pretty good picture of what a player can or can't do. That includes blocked shots, face offs and zone time - TOI where he's getting played/started by the coach now which for that i'm grateful.  Zone entries/exits i like too.   So for sure some good has come from it.    Maybe puck tracking data will help, i don't know.  

6 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

Analytics are not the be all and end all they are a means to showcase a picture, and by using multiple sources one can start to piece together a bigger picture.

people who focus purely one element are like the blind men describing an elephant 

So Dubass is the blind man and Saphanadumb is the elephant?  

• Haha 1