The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Zack MacEwen, C.J. Suess

3 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Being a tough team to play against is a real weakness of the Canucks and has been for over a decade.

The “play for the PP” approach started by AV and continued by both Desjardins and Green leaves far too much control in the hands of the refs (Torts tried to make a roster incapable of it tough to play against but it didn’t work).

Until this team has leadership - management, coaching, and on the ice - that values a team sticking up for each other, even if they aren’t the toughest, we won’t see any change in being the most easily intimidated and bullied team in the NHL. Mac would not change that. It’s the culture.

I totally agree. This is a long standing theme that goes beyond coaching. This is perhaps something that was in place during the Gillis era as well because the Sedins would get punched numerously and there'd be no call. Moreover, the penalties placed on the Canucks for roughing were heavily enforced.

I think we all remember when Burke said that the Sedins are not Swedish for being punching bags (or something to that effect)

For all his faults in management, he demanded respect, but was respectful to others as well. Gillis was too extreme in his approaches, and Benning has been too cordial with the league (arguably).

I wouldn't go as far as to say the refs are against the Canucks, but they certainly don't do the Canucks any favours either. The coaching/management throughout the recent Canucks history had been seemingly kowtowimg to the league and their refs, except there's never any reciprocal respect from the league.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

I totally agree. This is a long standing theme that goes beyond coaching. This is perhaps something that was in place during the Gillis era as well because the Sedins would get punched numerously and there'd be no call. Moreover, the penalties placed on the Canucks for roughing were heavily enforced.

I think we all remember when Burke said that the Sedins are not Swedish for being punching bags (or something to that effect)

For all his faults in management, he demanded respect, but was respectful to others as well. Gillis was too extreme in his approaches, and Benning has been too cordial with the league (arguably).

I wouldn't go as far as to say the refs are against the Canucks, but they certainly don't do the Canucks any favours either. The coaching/management throughout the recent Canucks history had been seemingly kowtowimg to the league and their refs, except there's never any reciprocal respect from the league.

You hit the nail on the head. I know and understand the fear of rocking the boat too much in that the penalties against for pushback might get worse before they get better. But culture wise it needs to happen and eventually that respect -from opponents and officials - will come.

The culture must change from the top down. I think that’s why people are upset about Gadj and Mac. They provided some of that. But I look at the best teams and they just have that little bit of pushback throughout their lineup. Even teams that don’t have a lot of traditional tough players.

Respect is earned. And that may cause short term pain. But a team of warriors always gets that respect eventually even if other fan bases see them as villains.

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

You hit the nail on the head. I know and understand the fear of rocking the boat too much in that the penalties against for pushback might get worse before they get better. But culture wise it needs to happen and eventually that respect -from opponents and officials - will come.

The culture must change from the top down. I think that’s why people are upset about Gadj and Mac. They provided some of that. But I look at the best teams and they just have that little bit of pushback throughout their lineup. Even teams that don’t have a lot of traditional tough players.

Respect is earned. And that may cause short term pain. But a team of warriors always gets that respect eventually even if other fan bases see them as villains.

Sounds like our 94 team.

I respect that’s it’s a lot more tilted to speed and skill now. In some ways, I credit the Sedins and the 2011 team with being at the forefront of that revolution.

But being clutch and not taking any $&!# still have psychological value. And in practical terms it gives your skill guys more room to do their thing and curbs other teams taking an anything goes approach to them.

Edited by wallstreetamigo