The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Very, Very Early Statistical Analysis of the Canucks

Rate this topic

Rindiculous

17 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

However, this leaves us with an absolutely insane 100% expected goals for at 4 v 4.  We have a 1.08 expected goals for and 0 expected goals against.

The opposing team hasn't even had a shot attempt at 4 v 4 against us while we have over a full goal for. 

spacer.png

Keep throwing Garland out there at 5 vs 5 until we get the man advantage errr.... offsetting penalties for 4 vs 4. 

I know it has only been 3 games but we're dead last in faceoffs which is quite surprising, our PP has been pretty decent at 25% but our PK has been brutal - we're just about 50% on the PK.

I knew this would happen and we'd struggle after losing Edler who's been so underrated on our PK, but we really need some solution there. I think we bring Schenn in for Burroughs who can kill penalties a bit better but it's still not a proper answer. We can't keep letting in goals on the PP or we're finished, and it's a bad stat to go alongside that abysmal faceoff %.

I think subjectively we've good 5-on-5 and that's against a good, average and bad team. Plenty to work on though. We've been in all of the games if not the better team at some points.

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I know it has only been 3 games but we're dead last in faceoffs which is quite surprising, our PP has been pretty decent at 25% but our PK has been brutal - we're just about 50% on the PK.

I knew this would happen and we'd struggle after losing Edler who's been so underrated on our PK, but we really need some solution there. I think we bring Schenn in for Burroughs who can kill penalties a bit better but it's still not a proper answer. We can't keep letting in goals on the PP or we're finished, and it's a bad stat to go alongside that abysmal faceoff %.

This is the danger of small sample sizes. I guarantee you that these figures will change - although I suspect the faceoff percentage isn't going to improve dramatically unless Sutter comes back. PK of 50% is indeed brutal, but last year even Dead-last Detroit managed almost 75% so it's clearly a tilted stat so early in the game.

4 hours ago, Playoff Beered said:

Not bad considering the full team never played together once during the preseason. I would think they should get better as they build chemistry and learn each others nuances.

Yah and that is what I blame our poor looking special teams on.  Yes the power play has converted, but I don't think it has looked that good.  Our 5 on 5 is okay because Green kept similar lines and pairings throughout the preseason, however we mashed our special teams units together on night 1 of the regular season, so they will have to do some adjusting for each other, and they will definitely get better when Boeser and Motte get back.

On 10/18/2021 at 11:07 PM, lmm said:

makes sense we are small and fast

big ice, more space

Small but not fast or skilled enough to outskill teams.

Ideally they should be more like Vegas. They have a very nice black of  the size and skill combo along with guys who can lay bodychecks and are willing to mix it up like Brayden McNabb.

It helps come postseason ime when the hitting and intensity ramps up. With full crowds back you can intimidate with some big hits when your home barn fans get into it.

Just now, Chip Kelly said:

Small but not fast or skilled enough to outskill teams.

Ideally they should be more like Vegas. They have a very nice mix of  the size and skill combo to make it to a Stanley Cup finals along with guys who can lay bodychecks and are willing to mix it up like Brayden McNabb.

It helps come postseason time when the hitting and intensity ramps up. With full crowds back you can intimidate with some big hits when your home barn fans get into it when the bigger bodies are throwing their weights around.