The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Around the NHL | January (09-15) 2022

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

They are, but I think the Ducks are more legit than people have been getting them credit for 

It wasn't a pretty one but they keep finding ways to pick up points 

Vegas and Anaheim are the two teams I don't see us catching, but you never know 

I dunno, they’ve got guys that are overachieving right now IMO.

If Terry, Zegras, and Milano cool down at any point the losses will start to pile up.

I could see them losing 5 of 6 coming up. If we can go .500 in our next 6 we could be 6 back with 4 games in hand still.

It will be tough but not impossible.

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Can't say I agree with folks who bag on Anaheim, I've watched a few Ducks games this season (watching this one against the Wings) and they present as a skilled young team that plays hard for their coach. Anaheim's drafted well over the last few years, they've got some good talent on and off the roster, I'm not surprised they've taken steps forward. 

LA's likely the next Cali team to do so. 

I've watched a few Ducks games this year as well.  

The jury's out for me on the Ducks still in terms of this year and their future.  They have an extremely interesting off-season coming up.  

Sonny Milano's racking up points playing with Zegras and he's arbitration eligible RFA.  Very skilled but might be looking at a 4 mil/year contract.  

Isac Lundestrom is playing lots of minutes and is an arb eligible RFA as well. 

Rickard Rakell will be a UFA. 

Josh Manson is a UFA. 

Hampus Lindholm is UFA. 

Sam Carrick is a UFA (he's impressed me for a depth guy). 

People that scream about going for it when you have guys on ELCs ought to be kicking down the door for the Ducks to go for it next year.  Troy Terry will be on the last year of his discount deal, and Zegras and Drysdale will be on the last years of their ELC.  

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I dunno, they’ve got guys that are overachieving right now IMO.

If Terry, Zegras, and Milano cool down at any point the losses will start to pile up.

I could see them losing 5 of 6 coming up. If we can go .500 in our next 6 we could be 6 back with 4 games in hand still.

It will be tough but not impossible.

Granted, but they have a goaltender as good as Demko in Gibson and he's been a huge part of their success 

Time will tell, they're a bit of a weird one 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I've watched a few Ducks games this year as well.  

The jury's out for me on the Ducks still in terms of this year and their future.  They have an extremely interesting off-season coming up.  

Sonny Milano's racking up points playing with Zegras and he's arbitration eligible RFA.  Very skilled but might be looking at a 4 mil/year contract.  

Isac Lundestrom is playing lots of minutes and is an arb eligible RFA as well. 

Rickard Rakell will be a UFA. 

Josh Manson is a UFA. 

Hampus Lindholm is UFA. 

Sam Carrick is a UFA (he's impressed me for a depth guy). 

People that scream about going for it when you have guys on ELCs ought to be kicking down the door for the Ducks to go for it next year.  Troy Terry will be on the last year of his discount deal, and Zegras and Drysdale will be on the last years of their ELC.  

I think their future will be fine as they appear to have drafted well, the weird bit is they've got this young talent coming up while they have a bunch of guys coming off the books as you've mentioned 

Even Kesler comes off the books after this season, and you know Getzlaf won't be making big dollars if he sticks around 

I wouldn't say the Ducks as is are built to contend, they'd need to add a top six center and more, but I think they can certainly compete 

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I think their future will be fine as they appear to have drafted well, the weird bit is they've got this young talent coming up while they have a bunch of guys coming off the books as you've mentioned 

Even Kesler comes off the books after this season, and you know Getzlaf won't be making big dollars if he sticks around 

I wouldn't say the Ducks as is are built to contend, they'd need to add a top six center and more, but I think they can certainly compete 

They've done a good job of shielding their young players with veterans however I find that despite Zegras and Terry having lots of points, their team is still run primarily through their veterans.  

Getzlaf, Fowler, Rakell, and Manson are the engine that makes their team tick in the games that I've seen.  I think that moving on from those guys would be a huge mistake for the Ducks. 

8 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

They've done a good job of shielding their young players with veterans however I find that despite Zegras and Terry having lots of points, their team is still run primarily through their veterans.  

Getzlaf, Fowler, Rakell, and Manson are the engine that makes their team tick in the games that I've seen.  I think that moving on from those guys would be a huge mistake for the Ducks. 

Fowler's got another three years, but replacing Manson and Lindholm would be tough

Getzlaf likely comes back, dunno about Rakell, he's a complimentary piece but he's yet to hit the numbers he did when Anaheim was at their competitive peak a while back again

Yah... Kings are looking really good right now... Along with the sharks and ducks winning again, those cali teams might be the reason Van doesn't get in the post season.  I hope I'm wrong and we end up leap frogging one of the Alberta teams to get in!

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Cheers 1