The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN & COL

To Van: Tyson Jost, Justin Barron, and 2nd rd

To Col: JT Miller (25% retained)

Colorado shores up their center depth for next two years and JT Miller's contact runs out the same time as Nathan Mackinnon (up for a huge raise). Canucks get younger and players ready to step in and start contributing. Jost is a 2nd/3rd line versatile player who has played here locally and Barron is a much needed two way RD prospect. 2nd round pick is included to retain cap on Miller. 

Garland - Petey - Boeser

Podkolzin - Horvat - Hoglander

Pearson - Jost - Dickinson

Hughes - Poolman

OEL - Myers

Rathbone - Barron

Woo

Demko

Dipietro 

Edited by Bure_Pavel

36 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

If they want Miller to put them over the top then our ask should begin with Byram - and yes, I think Miller should hold that kind of value to a legit contender. 

I don't even think Byram is who I'd want anyways.

First of all, he's a LHD.  We don't need another one especially with Rathbone in the system too.

Secondly, there's this:  https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/report-avalanches-byram-told-father-cant-play-feel-like/

There's some major risk in acquiring a guy like Byram right now...

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

First of all, he's a LHD.  We don't need another one especially with Rathbone in the system too.

Secondly, there's this:  https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/report-avalanches-byram-told-father-cant-play-feel-like/

I personally have my doubts about Rathbone ever being a regular let alone an impact player like some say he can be and if one could acquire a Byram-level player imo you do it and any similar players on the team would then be expendable assets.

There are always going to be risks involved in moving a proven asset (JT is as proven as anyone who'll be on the market near the tdl) for a less-proven one with some level of health concern, but it's a risk one has to weigh as you mention for sure. 

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Was just about to post about that head trauma as well.
Regardless, it looked like Jost was having a strong two-way season last year with strong defensive advanced stats, and Barron looks like what we'd need in a bigger mobile RHD.  I haven't followed with how either of them are doing, but this sort of "two first round drafted young players and a high pick" return that OP has suggested should be exactly what we're looking for.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

To Van: Tyson Jost, Justin Barron, and 2nd rd

To Col: JT Miller (25% retained)

Colorado shores up their center depth for next two years and JT Miller's contact runs out the same time as Nathan Mackinnon (up for a huge raise). Canucks get younger and players ready to step in and start contributing. Jost is a 2nd/3rd line versatile player who has played here locally and Barron is a much needed two way RD prospect. 2nd round pick is included to retain cap on Miller. 

Garland - Petey - Boeser

Podkolzin - Horvat - Hoglander

Pearson - Jost - Dickinson

Hughes - Poolman

OEL - Myers

Rathbone - Barron

Woo

Demko

Dipietro 

I was looking at a trade very much the same

First off, I think with your proposal, you can get a little more

But I suggest going a little more aggressive

Miller @ 50%

for

A.)     - 2023-1st                 or        B.)     -  Newhook

- Justin Baron                                -  Justin Baron

- Tyson Jost                                   -  2022-2nd

Miller by himself (top 20 in league in scoring at 28 years old) has a value of a young roster player and a 1st, then you put in the 50% retention, and Colorado bites at one of these 2 trades. One is not the same as the other, which gives JR and Colorado room to negotiate. I think that is what we should be asking for. Leaning towards B.

16 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I was looking at a trade very much the same

First off, I think with your proposal, you can get a little more

But I suggest going a little more aggressive

Miller @ 50%

for

A.)     - 2023-1st                 or        B.)     -  Newhook

- Justin Baron                                -  Justin Baron

- Tyson Jost                                   -  2022-2nd

Miller by himself (top 20 in league in scoring at 28 years old) has a value of a young roster player and a 1st, then you put in the 50% retention, and Colorado bites at one of these 2 trades. One is not the same as the other, which gives JR and Colorado room to negotiate. I think that is what we should be asking for. Leaning towards B.

I think the Avs are pretty high on Newhook as their future #2 center, If he is included in the deal I think the other parts are less. Maybe JT Miller w/ 50% retained for Newhook, Drew Helleson, and a 3rd. I am also pretty high on Newhook. 

• Cheers 1