The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposals] A Collection of JT Miller Proposals

HKSR

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Yes, but that in itself has to be taken with a grain of salt. Rags fans might not want to move Schneider, plenty of Canucks fans don't want to move Miller. Who's more likely to be overvalued? Schneider, easy, because Miller's a proven NHL commodity.

Laf or Kaako aren't realistic imo, you almost never see top two picks moved out that young.

Yeah...that was the point.

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Yes, but that in itself has to be taken with a grain of salt. Rags fans might not want to move Schneider, plenty of Canucks fans don't want to move Miller. Who's more likely to be overvalued? Schneider, easy, because Miller's a proven NHL commodity.

Laf or Kaako aren't realistic imo, you almost never see top two picks moved out that young.

As for the why? That's easy. Because retaining ups the number if teams that can offer and fit him in, thus creating a scenario where someone's gonna have to bid higher. Retaining ups Miller's already high value. Retain on Miller and that's roughly 1.25 seasons of dead cap, not a long term commitment. And considering we'll already have dead cap from the Virtanen and Holtby buyouts, plus Halak's bonus if he's not traded, retaining a bit more cap isn't the end of the world.

Odds are next season is a stepping stone season anyway, we're not contending with close to 4M in dead cap thanks to Virtanen, Holtby, and Halak.

One of the reasons why Gallant took the job in NY, was because of Schneider. He coached him at the World Championships and absolutely raved about him. Said his demeanour and his work ethic was like a NHL veteran at his age. Three games into his NHL debut and Trouba joked about how he was going to take over his position on the team.

I would seriously doubt Schneider is on the table in any trade. He’s pretty much an untouchable for the Rangers.

9 minutes ago, shiznak said:

One of the reasons why Gallant took the job in NY, was because of Schneider. He coached him at the World Championships and absolutely raved about him. Said his demeanour and his work ethic was like a NHL veteran at his age. Three games into his NHL debut and Trouba joked about how he was going to take over his position on the team.

I would seriously doubt Schneider is on the table in any trade. He’s pretty much an untouchable for the Rangers.

I disagree, nobody in this league is untouchable for the right price

Gotta give to get, and if they want Miller bad enough they'll give

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I disagree, nobody in this league is untouchable for the right price

Gotta give to get, and if they want Miller bad enough they'll give

I don’t think they want him as much as we think they do. They could just re-sign Strome at a cheaper cost, and be content with their team.

Miller would be a nice add for them, but not at the expense of Schneider.

In reality, I just don’t see Drury giving up three core pieces for Miller. I could see something like Chytil, Lundkvist, and a conditional 2nd (1st if they reach the conference finals). 

1 minute ago, shiznak said:

I don’t think they want him as much as we think they do. They could just re-sign Strome at a cheaper cost, and be content with their team.

Miller would be a nice add for them, but not at the expense of Schneider.

In reality, I just don’t see Drury giving up three core pieces for Miller. I could see something like Chytil, Lundkvist, and a conditional 2nd (1st if they reach the conference finals). 

You may be right, it's anyone's guess. But you could be wrong. There's smoke around Miller and the Rangers, could very well be fire.

Hard to say, they're actually doing quite well at RD. They've got Trouba and Fox in their top four locked up to big term and dollars. Schneider, though valued, isn't likely to displace either of them soon.

If they want to go for it, and they've got a prime aged core, a talented set of goaltenders, and youth sprinkled throughout their lineup, than you may just be surprised.

• Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

You may be right, it's anyone's guess. But you could be wrong. There's smoke around Miller and the Rangers, could very well be fire.

Hard to say, they're actually doing quite well at RD. They've got Trouba and Fox in their top four locked up to big term and dollars. Schneider, though valued, isn't likely to displace either of them soon.

If they want to go for it, and they've got a prime aged core, a talented set of goaltenders, and youth sprinkled throughout their lineup, than you may just be surprised.

Having an abundance of one position isn’t necessary a bad thing. You look at Tampa and their left-side. Hedman, McDonough, and Sergachev. They all play 20+ minutes a night. Trouba only has 4 years left on his contract after this year. They could just ease Schneider onto the team, playing him 16-19 mins a game, until Trouba’s contract expires.

Edited by shiznak

28 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Having an abundance of one position isn’t necessary a bad thing. You look at Tampa and their left-side. Hedman, McDonough, and Sergachev. They all play 20+ minutes a night. Trouba only has 4 years left on his contract after this year. They could just ease Schneider onto the team, playing him 16-19 mins a game, until Trouba’s contract expires.

It's not, but one could easily speculate that NYR thinks it's worth going all in while Panarin, Kreider, Trouba, and Zibanejad are at their peak or close to it.

We can speculate this or that, dance round and round for another seven posts, but neither of us really know &^@# all. Bottom line is there's a chance the trade happens and a chance it doesn't, but given NYR's reported interest we have reason to believe there's a chance, at least until the deadline passes. 

At the end of the day Miller is a valuable piece, and anyone who wants him will have to pony up valuable pieces their fanbase would probably rather keep. He will not come cheap, and he shouldn't. Whether he's moved, and for what, is uncertain, but if he is moved it'll cost a premium.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

If Miller's camp is to be reasonable with salary demands, I would personally rather keep him than Boeser. He has an extra year for starters, drives play a heck of a lot more, and is far more physical AND durable. Despite the fact his emotions tend to get out of control sometimes, I also feel he is the better leader.

I should also say that I love Boeser and think he is one of the best human beings we have on the team. I will also state that I touted Miller as a 2nd liner when he came over - but his play has convinced me otherwise. 

Yes, Miller is older, and yes, his contract will likely age more poorly by the end - but I really think he is the one we want to keep if forced to make a move. Additionally, I wonder if Boeser might have the bigger trade value due to age - even if his contract is up for immediate renewal with a 7 or 7.5 (?) QA.

But that wasn't the question presented. I do like most of the proposals - even if I think the fact they are overpayment might be hard to see to fruition.

I am not going to comment on my pick out of the list since I don't think any of them would actually happen. I will say, however, that I like the overall structures - with generally selecting a potential star defensemen (which we need), along with helping us in the next couple of years with the remainder of the assets brought in.