The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at New Jersey Devils | Feb. 28, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Devron said:

Normally I would agree but there was a 2 week break up this year. Hasn’t stopped Calgary from playing Markstrom. A guy that we thought couldn’t play too much 

Not a fan of Calgary playing Marky that much either and will bite them in the ass come playoff time. 

Just now, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

if we can only win with Demko in net, I think that pretty much says enough. They aren’t a good team.

I think the drop off from Demko to Halak is too great though. 

We got below average goaltending tonight. His save percentage was. 571

No team can win with that. 

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

6 goals on 13 shots.  Can't blame anybody else. 

Someone didn’t actually watch the game yet. This team has been trash defensively all year. You can’t play it off as shock when the vezina caliber goalie has a night off. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Not a fan of Calgary playing Marky that much either and will bite them in the ass come playoff time. 

You’re right about that. They can play their back up now and not worry about taking a loss which they should. 

We don’t have that luxury we are clawing for every point. 

You and I are usually in sync with our views but IMO Halak has been bad, real bad 

We had a AHL goalie get us points under what is an “atrocious” defence 

• Cheers 1

Just now, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Halak didn’t have a good game, but at the same time, he hasn’t received much goal support this season.

People blaming Halak are of the same ilk of those blaming Luongo for the team scoring a lousy 8g in 7 games 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Devron said:

You’re right about that. They can play their back up now and not worry about taking a loss which they should. 

We don’t have that luxury we are clawing for every point. 

You and I are usually in sync with our views but IMO Halak has been bad, real bad 

We had a AHL goalie get us points under what is an “atrocious” defence 

Halak has had the team score 3+ goals only twice this year. Before the last two games he had a .915sv% he’s been “bad” the last two games but actually decent all year. The team in front of him has sucked though. That is the one consistent part of this. 

• Upvote 2

We got Halaked. Must have been day dreaming of all the ways he was going to spend the extra mil fiddy.

Both Myers and Oliver had terrible starts. They weren't prepared for such a young fast team. Maybe not even paired right for this game. Not that Hunt or Schenn had particularily great games either.

Thing is, its okay for a D, even a D pair to have a below average game,  at least there are 2 other pairs to take up the load if need be. Same goes for forwards.

But the goalie position cannot afford a below average game.  He has to play at least average to be a legit NHL backup. .  His last two starts have been crippling losses. I don't think the team wants to play in front of him again.

Who knows if we had gotten the first goal or two, it may have been enough to change the outcome. And bumped Halak's confidence as the game went on.  But that didn't happen. :mellow: