The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at New Jersey Devils | Feb. 28, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

53 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Not a fan of over working the starter imo Demko has already played too much at this rate as is. 

Team needs to give their balls a tug and play for their back up when he’s in net. You can’t rely on the goalie to bail you out 70+ games a year. 

That’s the thing. 

Halak has been garbage for sure, but the difference here is that Demko actually bails the team out at least 3 times a game.

Our team needs to start playing better for any of one our goalies. A lot of our problems get masked away because of how incredible Demko is. The fact that Demko is our best player every single game shows how deficient we really are as a team that we must rely on our goalie for a full 60 minutes. 

Halak’s last 3 goals were terrible goals he let in, but it doesn’t help that we allowed some of those goals to happen too. It’s a mix of both for sure, though, Halak’s just downright terrible goalie and it doesn’t help when the players play terrible themselves. Just creates a different level of suck.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Another example of a decent backup... Eric Comrie in Winnipeg

Screenshot_20220228-201647_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6c67b4f53d64cb488eeefc0a20abe901.jpg

Another key difference Winnipeg isn’t a complete disaster defensively, no matter how you slice it our biggest problem is after Myers and OEL our defense is mediocre at best and when they have off nights they’re atrocious. 

I’ve watched this game and played for over 30 years and there is much more to sv% then just the goalie. Team defence matters and ours is not good enough. Period. 

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

So it's never the goalies fault then... even when they face less than 30 shots in a game, and have save percentages under .900 9 games out of 13.

Here's Rittich in Nashville.  You get the idea...

Screenshot_20220228-201906_Chrome.thumb.jpg.961fcda55ac64ae6159eea08cc6e9546.jpg

Ffs I have never said it is never the goalies fault this obsession that there is always one f’n scapegoat is so f’n pathetic here. 

4 minutes ago, rekker said:

That they are. Especially against speed. The D seems to handle toughness better than speed and quickness. 

Yup, I’d rather face Vegas or St Louis in the post season than Minny or Calgary/Edmonton. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Another key difference Winnipeg isn’t a complete disaster defensively, no matter how you slice it our biggest problem is after Myers and OEL our defense is mediocre at best and when they have off nights they’re atrocious. 

I’ve watched this game and played for over 30 years and there is much more to sv% then just the goalie. Team defence matters and ours is not good enough. Period. 

I won't keep peppering you with more screenshots... you and I usually agree on stuff cuz I usually see you giving me positive feedback on my posts, so I won't keep going on lol... I'll agree the Canucks weren't great defensively tonight, but Halak really could have saved 1/2 of the shots he faced.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Odd. said:

That’s the thing. 

Halak has been garbage for sure, but the difference here is that Demko actually bails the team out at least 3 times a game.

Our team needs to start playing better for any of one our goalies. A lot of our problems get masked away because of how incredible Demko is. The fact that Demko is our best player every single game shows how deficient we really are as a team that we must rely on our goalie for a full 60 minutes. 

Halak’s last 3 goals were terrible goals he let in, but it doesn’t help that we allowed some of those goals to happen too. It’s a mix of both for sure, though, Halak’s just downright terrible goalie and it doesn’t help when the players play terrible themselves. Just creates a different level of suck.

The need to scapegoat on here is tiring. Was Halak good tonight? No. Was the team? No, they were worse. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Ffs I have never said it is never the goalies fault this obsession that there is always one f’n scapegoat is so f’n pathetic here. 

Chill, you're one of the few posters I like around here, so peace.  And cheers lol

• Cheers 1

Just now, HKSR said:

I won't keep peppering you with more screenshots... you and I usually agree on stuff cuz I usually see you giving me positive feedback on my posts, so I won't keep going on lol... I'll agree the Canucks weren't great defensively tonight, but Halak really could have saved 1/2 of the shots he faced.

That's the thing I don’t disagree entirely but the piling on him tonight when the entire team was complete garbage is a bit of a joke. 

• Cheers 1

That's the thing I don’t disagree entirely but the piling on him tonight when the entire team was complete garbage is a bit of a joke. 

Emotions run high after these kinds of games.  It's part of being a Canucks fan haha

• Cheers 1

Just now, HKSR said:

Chill, you're one of the few posters I like around here, so peace.  And cheers lol

Just a frustrating night overall and likewise with you. You’re one of my favourites on here as well. 

This jekyll and hyde team and horrendous defense is starting to wear thin on me and I am sorry to take some of that out on you. 

• Cheers 3

Demko is one of the best in the league.  He plays in the most important position on a hockey team and makes the team look better than they are many nights.

The d needs improving. Their 5v5 goals against is a smoke screen. 

Imagine if we had a guy back there that was as good at shut down defence as Hughes is at zone exits, outlet passes and offence. That’s a lot to ask.. how about a solid physical d man that can hit the net, hold the line, keep up with the play,  and play big minutes. 

That’s why I scratch my head when I read trade rumours that involve bringing a forward here. Zacha? Really? If a core forward goes I hope they improve the top 4 d with whoever they get in return. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Halak didn’t have a good game, but at the same time, he hasn’t received much goal support this season.

Even if Halak hasn't been good enough, and I'll admit he's struggled, that doesn't change the fact that the team has scored one goal or less six times and two goals or less eight times when he's been in net 

You're not giving your goaltender much margin for error with that kind of run support, which contributes to his losing record 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Darius said:

Demko is one of the best in the league.  He plays in the most important position on a hockey team and makes the team look better than they are many nights.

The d needs improving. Their 5v5 goals against is a smoke screen. 

Imagine if we had a guy back there that was as good at shut down defence as Hughes is at zone exits, outlet passes and offence. That’s a lot to ask.. how about a solid physical d man that can hit the net, hold the line, keep up with the play,  and play big minutes. 

That’s why I scratch my head when I read trade rumours that involve bringing a forward here. Zacha? Really? If a core forward goes I hope they improve the top 4 d with whoever they get in return. 

The Boeser for Zacha proposals were hilarious to see on here like really? :lol:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just a frustrating night overall and likewise with you. You’re one of my favourites on here as well. 

This jekyll and hyde team and horrendous defense is starting to wear thin on me and I am sorry to take some of that out on you. 

Haha all good.  I've got a ton of faith still.  I really think they're gonna make it.  They're starting to build chemistry.  They just need to play with determination and cover each other's asses (goalies included).

• Cheers 1

In an earlier post this afternoon I said if Halak lets in 2 goals he needs to be pulled. 
If I can see that why can’t an experienced coach. 
Yeah the whole team sucked tonight, but with Demko they have a better chance. 
It just got worse after Meyers stupid giveaway. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Even if Halak hasn't been good enough, and I'll admit he's struggled, that doesn't change the fact that the team has scored one goal or less six times and two goals or less eight times when he's been in net 

You're not giving your goaltender much margin for error with that kind of run support, which contributes to his losing record 

Yeah, this is my issue with the piling on these last two games he’s had less than ideal support for 2/3 of his games played. Something was going to give and this team is far from a contender. 

Being a borderline wildcard team and depending on goaltending every game is not a great mix at the best of times. 

6 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Yeah, this is my issue with the piling on these last two games he’s had less than ideal support for 2/3 of his games played. Something was going to give and this team is far from a contender. 

Being a borderline wildcard team and depending on goaltending every game is not a great mix at the best of times. 

If you're expecting your backup to hold the other team to two goals or less every game you probably don't have realistic expectations of a backup 

If this team doesn't score in front of him shouldn't the be worthy of criticism too? If he's giving up 2+ goals a game and we barely score isn't that just as much a team issue as a Halak issue? 

If we don't score more than two goals most games we aren't going to win much, period.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1