The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New Jersey Devils at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 15, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, mll said:

Drance was born and raised in Vancouver.  Reporters are supposed to report only facts and remain neutral - being fan of the team they cover would disqualify them from being called reporters. 

You must have not been following the Canucks when Tony Gallagher was around.  His reporting was not only non factual it was criminal in nature...

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

1pt from a wild card birth.

Unless you’re adjusting for Dallas’ games in hand.

In that case we’re 3pts back of third spot in the division.

Oh yes indeed. Happiest miscalculations I’ve done this year.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Thing is every reporter and guy in hockey has their favourites.   Why we use Cheech also why he's so endearing to us as fans.    Can't help that.    Subscribed to the Hockey News now going on 3 decades almost 4... and every writer has their faves too.   Doesn't mean they can't create and make a mag and stories up to 42 times a year about what's current and make it fun for any fan of hockey either.     That said it does come out at times, where they are being honest...One senior writer wrote that about begging the powers that be to let Hull play in the Summit series when he was ten or so, wrote letters ... etc.   IF your from ONT you can bet you  want the Laughs to win, or maybe OTT.

Cherry's connection to the Bruins was obvious in 2011, but before that he wore our colours many times (Canadian Hockey and all of that).     BC isn't the center and never will be the center of the hockey universe.   The biggest city where the team plays doesn't have 40,000 outdoor rinks to play on.   Where it's cold every street has a rink ... and ponds, rivers etc get pumped so an ice surface is available for everyone for a couple months when it's minus 15-30, if not someone up or down the street has one in their backyard for months.... Hockey in BC is small town interior big ... but not lower mainland big in the same sense.   Can't fault these guys for it, most have lived it since they were 2-3 years old.    

If you're covering the league in general, it's easier to hide your favoritism.  Some reporters are literally fans of the game, or fans of specific players and it's harder to figure out who their favorite teams are.  I have no idea who Jeff Marek's favorite team is, but I know he roots for certain players, and he roots for interesting storylines.  Others of the Sportsnet crew give away their biases through their coverage  We bash on Hrudey for being a Flames homer and Cheech for being a Canucks homer, but having been in that position, travelling with a team, getting to know the players and the coaches as people, and liking them, it's impossible to be unbiased.  Hrudey and Cheech travelled (before Covid) with their respective teams, they still see them at every home game.  I have no idea how you can be unbiased in that setting.  I will say that when a home announcer is doing a national broadcast, he should try to be as unbiased as possible.  Aside from having a wealth of interesting Canuck trivia in his brain, it's hard to tell for whom Shorty is the home announcer, Rick Ball is much the same.  One of the reasons I love Jim Hughson is because he calls it right down the middle.  Harnarayan Singh on the other hand should never be allowed to broadcast any national game involving the Oilers.  Actually, he's awful and should never be allowed to broadcast any game.  In the US (where I live) I can't get the Canucks games on my cable package that are picked up for national broadcast on TNT.  So, I didn't get to hear Shorty and Cheech on the last TNT broadcast, last week's MTL game I think.  TNT brought in the Seattle announcer.  I have not been impressed with him in the past, as he's very pro Kraken on their local games, but he did a fantastic job on the Canuck's broadcast.

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I love how you can tell he wasn’t happy about it not being bar down! :lol:

Is that it?  It looks like he's giving about half effort, and is frustrated because it still hurts but he doesn't want to advertise it.  I'm figuring he's frustrated because just when the wrist was feeling back to normal and he'd rediscovered his one-timer, some POS hacks him again.

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Better for him to be 100% for the Flames on Saturday.

We showed we can score without him last night. We’ll need him against a stingy Calgary team though. He’s in Marky’ ahead after last game. :lol:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

Is that it?  It looks like he's giving about half effort, and is frustrated because it still hurts but he doesn't want to advertise it.  I'm figuring he's frustrated because just when the wrist was feeling back to normal and he'd rediscovered his one-timer, some POS hacks him again.

I didn’t get that sense.

Knowing him he’s a perfectionist. He didn’t like that shot is all I see.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

This was honestly the first game the Canucks have played where the game has been wide open but they also played adequately defensively as well. Usually when they trade offense for offense with other teams they abandon defense completely but last night they also worked hard defensively. 

That game could have been 6-0 had Demko been on his game. He actually had a poor game but sometimes teams need to bail out their goaltending. 

I thought the team played fantastic. Not going to lose too many games with that level of forecheck, energy and dare I say it, creativity in their passing (that's rare for us). 

First half of the game was a bad night for Bo but he more than made up for it with an absolute beasting second half. He wasn't covering men defensively to all of a sudden being a true leader at both ends of the ice. 

Hoglander showed why we need to play the kid more and with better players. 

Miller couldn't bury his chances but boy was he buzzing. 

Petey was invisible. 

(sarcasm on that last comment) 

I've noticed that Garland's game has had a lot of impact on Hogs game.  Hogs has always been hard on the puck on the boards, but I've noticed him doing some of the Garland rod-hockey turns against the boards, and trying shots from impossible angles with hopes for rebounds or flukey goals.  He had a chance at a one-time that he whiffed, but that goal Hogs scored was a beauty, right from the dirty area.