The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Maple Leafs trade Travis Dermott to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

17 minutes ago, JM_ said:

imo if you move Miller now, you're risking losing Bo as well. He's given his entire career to multiple re-tool promises here and, if I were him, I wouldn't be happy about hearing to wait 2-3 years for another one to mature. I'd be asking to be moved, or just walk as a UFA. He's in his prime now, why the heck would he wait until his 30s? 

Thats one of the risks I see with the 2-3 year step back to get better idea. 

If you don't move Miller now, you risk it even more because your allocating even more cap space to the same, middling team, and on a player bound to regress.

Keeping Miller doesn't get us any closer either. In fact, using all that cap on him, pushes us further away. It's the opposite of smart management.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If you don't move Miller now, you risk it even more because your allocating even more cap space to the same, middling team, and on a player bound to regress.

Keeping Miller doesn't get us any closer either. In fact, using all that cap on him, pushes us further away. It's the opposite of smart management.

OK, so whats the plan if Bo isn't on board for rebuild #3 under his career here? not moving goal posts, etc. its something I think is a real risk based on his own comments. 

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

OK, so whats the plan if Bo isn't on board for rebuild #3 under his career here? not moving goal posts, etc. its something I think is a real risk based on his own comments. 

What's the plan if Bo isn't on board for perpetual middling team that's bound to regress, spending ever more cap and assets trying to cling to said middling team?

Your plan is actually the riskier one, with a higher likelihood of him walking.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

What's the plan if Bo isn't on board for perpetual middling team that's bound to regress, spending ever more cap and assets trying to cling to said middling team?

come on now, don't avoid the question. 

I think Bo would be just fine trying to compete next year. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

All players want to compete every year.  They don’t care about picks and prospects.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, JM_ said:

exactly. 

Management needs to plan though, regardless of the players’ feelings.

Trading Miller makes us a better team in two years than we are now, providing the return is wise.  

With Miller having a career year, we still suck old socks.  Time to move on from Miller. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, JM_ said:

It shouldn't be hard to sell Bo on actually building a proper team and a proper defense around him, while getting younger, cheaper and faster. That said, the same thing happens that would happen if you can't sell him on your amazing stagnation and regression plan. You're forced to trade him.

This team with the same defense and Miller back, after shedding assets, to clear the cap to ice a worse roster than this year, isn't "competing next year".

You need to get out of your head that this team minus Miller, but with a far improved D and faster, younger forwards couldn't be near/just as competitive next year and FAR more competitive long term.

Edited by aGENT

Just now, Alflives said:

Management needs to plan though, regardless of the players’ feelings.

Trading Miller makes us a better team in two years than we are now, providing the return is wise.  

With Miller having a career year, we still suck old socks.  Time to move on from Miller. 

the point I'm making is that trading Miller may have unintended consequences, like e.g., Bo not wanting to stick around. I don't think I'm making a false claim there, he stated he doesn't want to stick around for another rebuild.

So, any plan that moves Miller needs to have a plan for moving Bo too. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

It shouldn't be hard to sell Bo on actually building a proper team and a proper defense around him, while getting younger, cheaper and faster. That said, the same thing happens that would happen if you can't sell him on your amazing stagnation and regression plan. You're forced to trade him.

This team with the same defense and Miller back, after shedding assets, to clear the cap to ice a worse roster than this year, isn't "competing next year".

You need to get out of your head that this team minus Miller, but with a far improved D and faster, younger forwards couldn't be near/just as competitive next year and FAR more competitive long term.

OK you don't want to answer, thats fine. 

Just now, JM_ said:

the point I'm making is that trading Miller may have unintended consequences, like e.g., Bo not wanting to stick around. I don't think I'm making a false claim there, he stated he doesn't want to stick around for another rebuild.

So, any plan that moves Miller needs to have a plan for moving Bo too. 

Good thing moving Miller isn't a rebuild...

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He's 27. If we do a rebuild, he'll likely be in his 30's. Based on that alone, a rebuild's the higher likelihood of him walking. He's literally in the age now where he's going to want to compete while he can essentially.

If we're going to be a middling team that he's not going to want to play for then trade him. However, given that no one actually plans for this, chances are he'll be willing to compete with the hope that the team actually does things even if it doesn't. That's a much more likely scenario to me than him wanting to stay for another rebuild.

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

no you avoided. I don't want to argue about it, just show me a real plan if Bo wants out.

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

He's 27. If we do a rebuild, he'll likely be in his 30's. Based on that alone, a rebuild's the higher likelihood of him walking. He's literally in the age now where he's going to want to compete while he can essentially.

If we're going to be a middling team that he's not going to want to play for then trade him. However, given that no one actually plans for this, chances are he'll be willing to compete with the hope that the team actually does things even if it doesn't. That's a much more likely scenario to me than him wanting to stay for another rebuild.

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Good thing moving Miller isn't a rebuild...

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

I don't even know what you're trying to imply here then? Are you trying to argue for a rebuild or against a rebuild? I'm tired tonight from work and lazy.

If we lose both Miller and Bo we have by far the weakest C depth in the league. 

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I don't even know what you're trying to imply here then? Are you trying to argue for a rebuild or against a rebuild? I'm tired tonight from work and lazy.

Trading Miller does not equal a rebuild. It's really not complicated.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, JM_ said:

If we lose both Miller and Bo we have by far the weakest C depth in the league. 

For sure. Pehrpas not the weakest as we'd still at least have Pettersson, but among the weakest definately.

Although I guess it depends on who we get back, provided we're talking a trade.