The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Arizona Coyotes at Vancouver Canucks | Apr. 14, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

21 hours ago, JM_ said:

thats kind of the one team I can see doing it, actually. He would fit them so well, fans would love him there.

But they only have 6 mil in cap next year. Which roster guys do we get back to make space? Konecny? 

Konecny + 5th oa? 

I would do that in a heartbeat. 5th overall is definitely a great asset.

• Vintage 1

20 hours ago, mll said:

Guerin says the Minnesota fanbase is too smart to be lied to and he would lose credibility if he tried. Not every GM believes that they need to lie to do their jobs effectively and some even prefer to connect with the fanbase so they can be invested in the direction the team is going.  Poile will openly say if he doesn't want to answer a question and has also corrected himself - just this summer talked of a re-build but then re-qualified it as a re-tool but insisted they had to get younger as there's no trophy for being the oldest team in the league.  Also acknowledged that it was going to take time to get where they want to be.

Verbeek told LeBrun that he's not willing to give much term to veterans.  They wanted to retain Lindholm but he wanted too much term for their liking.  Their D-corps looks a bit in shambles after letting Lindholm and Manson go.  Verbeek after trading Lindholm and Deslauriers: "As I’ve stated since arriving in Anaheim, our goal is to continue building a team that can compete for the Stanley Cup for the long haul. Adding players and assets that fit in the age group of our existing younger talent sets us up well for the future." 

Davidson insisted that this time they are going to really fix things.  He traded 23 year old Hagel for 2x 1st round picks at the TDL.  

I appreciate you're very close to these teams and are most likely correct. Like I said though these are tweets, not personal emails and a steadfast promise to you or I. You're not part of the management group now because you are on twitter. They do have the right (I thought) to change their own views and situations do change. I thought we were doing something else when we traded for OEL and Garland too. I'm just curious how this works then. They're not allowed to make any moves then until they tweet out their plan and alert the fans first?

However, take them off the list then. I had them probably 25th 20th and 10th or something for possible teams. My mistake. I don't really see the problem with inquiring or maybe it's important to you that the number is 28 teams instead of 31 so I look dumb. I don't really think it changes the outlook or context though. Not how I would conduct business if I was Allvin but okay I was wrong.

I also wish Davidson was ours because of his patience ... just goes to show you how quickly the market could and does change. They are way out ... but still only 3 years possibly. This is exactly why you can never predict what will happen in the NHL. Everyone is a couple moves away from brilliance ... in theory lol.

Thanks for the information. You are a great resource here.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Muttley said:

The only chance the Canucks have of beating those teams is with Miller in the line-up. Once again, I must have missed the Miller camp asking price and term on a new contract. Dang! I gotta pay more attention.  I thought it might be 7.4 for 4 years more with a club option for 5.

I must have missed the press conference as well.  I hear grandpa didn't show up either...

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, khay said:

With Petey back on track, it makes more sense to keep Miller and go for playoffs next season under Boudreau.

Combined with upgrades on D and wing, I bet we will end up with 110 points. 

Not that it's wrong but this is the exact type of thinking that worries me. It seems to be the strategy we've been following for the last 7 years with Benning. Pushed right up against the cap with no $$ and a big hope a move or two will fill in our deficiencies while all of our players make huge leaps in their play. We'll see in the off-season if management is as committed to a re-tool as first reported. It'll be very interesting if we retain Miller what types of moves will be made. If they go big for next year or if Miller will also be part of a 2 year revamp.

16 hours ago, JM_ said:

Sanheim would be a nice add, and make Rathbone expendable. Still leaves us with a right side issue but Hughes/OEL/Sanheim would be nice. I suppose Hughes could be moved over to the right side as well?

Sanheim-Hughes

OEL-Myers

Rathone-Schenn

Dermott-Burroughs 

I guess if RD are impossible to find maybe moving Hughes over is the best option? We seem to have no problem finding LD possibilities.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Not that it's wrong but this is the exact type of thinking that worries me. It seems to be the strategy we've been following for the last 7 years with Benning. Pushed right up against the cap with no $$ and a big hope a move or two will fill in our deficiencies while all of our players make huge leaps in their play. We'll see in the off-season if management is as committed to a re-tool as first reported. It'll be very interesting if we retain Miller what types of moves will be made. If they go big for next year or if Miller will also be part of a 2 year revamp.

I guess if RD are impossible to find maybe moving Hughes over is the best option? We seem to have no problem finding LD possibilities.

Whichever direction they choose, some fans will be angry and some will be happy. I agree that re-signing Miller and trying to go for it may be short sighted. On the other hand, re-signing Miller and with right upgrades, we will be a playoff team under Boudreau for the next 3-4 years. It's a tough call to make. I think the management will sit down with Miller and do their best to try to re-sign him but they will have a retool on their mind as soon as he demands well beyond what we can afford. 

As funny as it sounds, we let Miller decide what this team is going to do: retool or going for it.

One regret is that if JB was going to be fired, I wish it was before 2021 summer so that he doesn't pull off OEL + Garland trade.

I've been happy with the two players so far but if we are going for a retool, I'd rather have Guenther and 2022 2nd rather than OEL and Garland. Now, we have a team that is too close to being good (a top 10 team since Boudreau took over).

5 hours ago, khay said:

Whichever direction they choose, some fans will be angry and some will be happy. I agree that re-signing Miller and trying to go for it may be short sighted. On the other hand, re-signing Miller and with right upgrades, we will be a playoff team under Boudreau for the next 3-4 years. It's a tough call to make. I think the management will sit down with Miller and do their best to try to re-sign him but they will have a retool on their mind as soon as he demands well beyond what we can afford. 

As funny as it sounds, we let Miller decide what this team is going to do: retool or going for it.

One regret is that if JB was going to be fired, I wish it was before 2021 summer so that he doesn't pull off OEL + Garland trade.

I've been happy with the two players so far but if we are going for a retool, I'd rather have Guenther and 2022 2nd rather than OEL and Garland. Now, we have a team that is too close to being good (a top 10 team since Boudreau took over).

It’s true that some fans will be happy and some will be upset no matter Allvin does. No win situation. He just has to do what he thinks and feels is the right thing to do for the franchise moving forward. Players are always short-sighted. They don’t care about the future, they care about now. Management’s job is to secure the future while remaining competitive now. There’s tension always between management and their players because their goals aren’t always aligned. I can see why management would want to resign Miller - they also want to win, and they know that their current group of players also want to win. 

On 4/14/2022 at 10:33 PM, CaptKirk888 said:

Yah just focus on that. 5 assists. 91 points. I have seen Swyl, Linden, Bure, Sedins make multiple mistakes over the years and still make this team succeed. Miller has become a star, why do so many people talk about trading this guy? 

I’m totally on board with Miller. It was just an observation and a mistake that you know they wish they had back. It could have been anyone and I’d have said the same thing. 

• Cheers 1