The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Miller to LA

I have 2 issues with this trade (and I may be way off base).  I recall a lot of talk about Kaliyev not wanting to bother with

the defensive end of the game.  In fact, that was why he dropped in the draft.  I can's say I have kept up with his

development, but it may still be an issue.

I really like Grans, but again, he does have some defensive issues.  He is considered a high risk; high reward kind of

prospect.  He may end up as a top pairing offensive dman, but if he can't play defense, his value drops.

Maybe the Nucks hit it out of the park with this trade or maybe not.

Miller to LA for  Turcotte, Roy + Grundstrom.  Turcotte is very good at all aspects of the game; is a great skater and has a

very high IQ.  He can play every aspect of the game; both offensive and defensive.  Roy is a heavy defensive dman that has

some offensive upside.  Grundstrom plays an aggressive game, is a good skater and is very good on the PK.

Of the 3, Turcotte will be a star player (who plays a well-rounded game), but the other 2 will be very steady and hardworking

players and very good at the role they are assigned.  I think all 3 of these players would make a huge difference for our

team for many years.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Devron said:

I have a funny feeling Turcotte won’t live up to his draft position. Third line centre 

You may be right.  He just suffered his 2nd concussion this year, in a recent playoff game.  Apparently the Kings

management are very concerned.:(

• Cheers 1

On 5/20/2022 at 8:17 PM, Alflives said:

I hope you’re right.  But I don’t think so.  We will see the return come summer.  

Maybe not.  Maybe not until this TDL or maybe not at all.   It's entirely within the realm of possibility, he just plays out his contract then heads south or even re-signs with us.   Allvin said it was quiet around the TDL.   Think once Giroux was traded his market went down but that's just supposition.   I haven't heard anything from the Canucks that there was a deal for Miller - OR what that return could have been.   Just 1000 things on this site and from TO/NYR fans and media.   

9 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Maybe not.  Maybe not until this TDL or maybe not at all.   It's entirely within the realm of possibility, he just plays out his contract then heads south or even re-signs with us.   Allvin said it was quiet around the TDL.   Think once Giroux was traded his market went down but that's just supposition.   I haven't heard anything from the Canucks that there was a deal for Miller - OR what that return could have been.   Just 1000 things on this site and from TO/NYR fans and media.   

We took Miller off the trade market well before the TDL.  So any potential deals couldn’t happen. And Friedman did say the Canucks were going to sign Miller as a number one centre and would clear cap to do so.  

Maybe we simply re-sign Miller?  Settle on a total number (55 mil) and the JR sets the term to fit in his view of the cap allocation.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

We took Miller off the trade market well before the TDL.  So any potential deals couldn’t happen. And Friedman did say the Canucks were going to sign Miller as a number one centre and would clear cap to do so.  

Maybe we simply re-sign Miller?  Settle on a total number (55 mil) and the JR sets the term to fit in his view of the cap allocation.  

Alf i'm not sure that's what I heard from all the buzz at the trade deadline.   Friedman at least shaved his beard although i now want him to grow it back - it was super badass.   I don't give as much stock into his suppositions as some but do get that he's now the new number one insider.    Allvin said it was quiet at the TDL.   Their was some buzz before it but it blew away - and what would our fans say if we traded Miller for a bag of pucks when we were going down the stretch?    There is a reason the only thing that occurred was freeing up 1.5-2 in cap space for Motte and Hamonic after replacements.    It's to pay for Halak, Holtby, JV and Brock.   The math works that way.   I don't see is doing a heck of a lot in the off season.   Maybe a better deal comes along for Miller but those that kicked the tires weren't willing to make it work - and Allvin is in the cat birds seat in that regard because we still have time until the trade deadline to move him - or just re-sign him.   Both come with risks.   I'd actually be 100% ok with just letting him play it out - and then moving on.   That's also not the worst case one bit.

Edit:  As far as a number that works for us - i'd say 5 years at 8.25.   But bonus the money out so he gets all the dough  - no mater what.   

Edited by IBatch