The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

VAN + WPG [Proposal] Fix our PK!

So I was talking to an avid Jets fan buddy of mine I asked him what their needs were.. He emphatically said cost controlled young wingers and D with skill. I talked about the Canucks dire need to improve the PK. I thought about it and bounced this off him and I think it works for both sides. 

To WPG Hoglander + Rathbone 

To Van Brendan Dillon + David Gustafsson

Brendan Dillon would be a good temporary solution for us to allow OEL to play a more offensive role. He's on a decent contract that expires in 2 years 3.9m is not fantastic but not terrible either for what he brings as a shut down guy. And Gustavson is one hell of a bottom 6 C prospect. Very good in the dot and on the PK. He probably earns himself a 4c job next year with 3c upside. He's stuck behind a deep group of C's in WPG and might not get much of a shot there. He'd like to see us add our 3rd as Dillon is a proven player but I'm not so sure with him making 3.9m and being 31. What do you think? Fair hockey trade? 

Edited by hammertime
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, kloubek said:

Um.... no.

Firstly, we are selling low on Hoglander who didn't have the year many of us expected from him. I still have confidence in this kid.
Rathbone also hasn't had a real chance to play at the NHL level and still has upside. While I do like Dillon and feel he is the kind of player we could use, I don't see the throw-in Gustavson as being particularly useful.

Hard pass for me in all respects, other than the kind of guy you are targeting to help shore up the D.

Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't call Gustafsson a toss in. He is very good defensively and a wiz in the dot. A young Beagle/Malhotra. He is a very good  checking C. I really would like to add this kid. 

Versatile, intelligent, matchup-ready pivot who can play in every situation. Very detail oriented with an understated offensive skill set. Middle-six upside with fantasy boost for leagues including faceoffs and peripherals.

May 2022 – Despite some poor luck at the NHL level this season featuring 4:55 total ice time, across two games with two separate injuries, Gustafsson’s development took the expected strides as he spent most of the season as the Manitoba Moose 1C. Although his game is not overly flashy, Gustafsson’s 0.64 PPG is nothing to sneeze at, cracking the top-five on the Moose. The strong intelligence in his game makes him a reliable player, effectively logging heavy minutes in all situations. Since the Jets penalty kill ranked bottom-five, with bottom-half power-play numbers to boot, they should gladly welcome Gustafsson’s services.

Proving his worth at the AHL level as a responsible 200-foot pivot with a tasteful skillset, it’s Gustafsson’s willingness to engage, faceoff efficiency, and attention to detail that seems to be just what the doctor ordered for the Jets. The Moose were bounced in the Divisional Semi-Final, giving Gustafsson an extended offseason to prepare for training camp, where I fully expect him to earn a bottom-six pivot role to start the 2022/23 season, with potential to grow into a middle-six option. Look for him to post strong faceoff numbers, peripherals, and see plenty of penalty kill action for the Jets. First order of business; get Gus signed to a new contact (RFA) before anything can come to fruition. Justin Kaye

March 2020 – Gustafsson suffered a minor injury in Sweden’s bronze medal win over Finland at the World Juniors. There was some confusion about whether he would return to Sweden following the tournament or continue playing hockey in North America, but he joined the Moose for the second half of the season. Jamie Zadow

December 2019 – Gustafsson has found a place on the Jets roster in a fourth line checking role. Now, he will join a Sweden team looking to avenge last year’s early exit in the quarterfinals at the World Junior Championships.  Not known for his offensive prowess, Gustafsson figures to the start the tournament on the top line. Jamie Zadow

June 2018 – Gustafsson finished his rookie season in the SHL with six goals and 12 points in 45 games. He scored all those points at even strength and only played about 11 minutes per game. He also took over 400 faceoffs and won exactly 50% of them. At the U18 World Championship tournament, Gustafsson scored two goals and seven points in seven games. He also took more faceoffs than anyone in the tournament and won 70.55% of them.  Jokke Nevalainen

March 2018 – David Gustafsson is only 17 years old but has already played a full season in the SHL on HV71 – a team that won the SHL Championship last season and is on its way to the playoffs yet again. Gustafsson is physically mature and defensively reliable which is why he’s able to play in the SHL at such a young age but has shown a little more offensively as the season has progressed. He’s a natural center and already good on faceoffs at the SHL level but needs to continue working on his skating and offensive tools. Gustafsson was one of the final cuts from Sweden’s World Junior Championship team in December.  Jokke Nevalainen

Edited by hammertime

SCOUTING REPORT

Owns a projectable frame and plenty of two-way acumen. Is a sound defender in his own end and an accomplished face-off man. Is the type of trustworthy center every NHL coach wants. Can be used in any situation. Could stand to improve his skating in order to maximize his two-way capability at the highest level. Also, he must prove himself as a point producer, as he climbs the ladder, and he may be reduced to a third-line role in the NHL.

Long Range Potential: Sound, two-way center with upside.

Now he sounds like a poor, poor man's version of Bo Horvat when he was drafted (good frame, two-way guy, can skate and win draws but poor skating and not a point producer).
That last point about not being a point producer doesn't sit well with me, and while I get that many of the 2018 guys are still working to enter the league, 1 point in 28 games still isn't very convincing when you're projecting him to be a Beagle/ Malhotra.  During a "sophomore slump" season Hoglander still put up nearly 1/3 point/ game, and I'd rather not spend a cost-controlled asset to get what could amount to be a grinder.  Dillon's also too expensive at $3.9 million.

12 hours ago, hammertime said:

So I was talking to an avid Jets fan buddy of mine I asked him what their needs were.. He emphatically said cost controlled young wingers and D with skill. I talked about the Canucks dire need to improve the PK. I thought about it and bounced this off him and I think it works for both sides. 

To WPG Hoglander + Rathbone 

To Van Brendan Dillon + David Gustafsson

Brendan Dillon would be a good temporary solution for us to allow OEL to play a more offensive role. He's on a decent contract that expires in 2 years 3.9m is not fantastic but not terrible either for what he brings as a shut down guy. And Gustavson is one hell of a bottom 6 C prospect. Very good in the dot and on the PK. He probably earns himself a 4c job next year with 3c upside. He's stuck behind a deep group of C's in WPG and might not get much of a shot there. He'd like to see us add our 3rd as Dillon is a proven player but I'm not so sure with him making 3.9m and being 31. What do you think? Fair hockey trade? 

Manson 30, RD, 6'3. 215  UFA - Would rather have Manson 3 yrs X 4 million ?

Dillon   31. LD, 6'4, 225 -- 2 yrs remaining X 3.9 million.-- 

Dillion is a LD man Vancouver would prefer trading for a RD..

Gustafsson 22, NHL games  GP 22 -- G1 - PTS 1

I would not trade Hoglander 22 - lots of talent and speed-- Showed signs should be a solid NHL player  GP 75. G 18-23 -- PTS 45--50 

Rathbone 23 LD, elite skater with offence -- Future #4 D man

don't make this trade we need talented young players for future run and both Hoglander and Rathbone are very talented..

Dillion's best years are past him and Gustafson is not as talented as Hoglander..

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Manson 30, RD, 6'3. 215  UFA - Would rather have Manson 3 yrs X 4 million ?

Dillon   31. LD, 6'4, 225 -- 2 yrs remaining X 3.9 million.-- 

Dillion is a LD man Vancouver would prefer trading for a RD..

Gustafsson 22, NHL games  GP 22 -- G1 - PTS 1

I would not trade Hoglander 22 - lots of talent and speed-- Showed signs should be a solid NHL player  GP 75. G 18-23 -- PTS 45--50 

Rathbone 23 LD, elite skater with offence -- Future #4 D man

don't make this trade we need talented young players for future run and both Hoglander and Rathbone are very talented..

Dillion's best years are past him and Gustafson is not as talented as Hoglander..

The whole league will be offering Manson contracts he's going to get substantially more than 4x3 he's not coming here. Especially for less than the Myers contract.  RD isn't our problem anyway I'd rather Schenn next to Huggy over far more expensive Manson.

Our problem is on LD we've got OEL mascaraing as a shut down defenseman. We need to put an end to that nonsense. Getting a proper shut down LD will have a far greater effect on our D's effectiveness than supplanting Schenn or Myers with Manson. 

41 minutes ago, gurn said:

6io5vv.jpg.efcbeb4d724d65f585a137faf43dd3ef.jpg

Ha basically ya. 

Everyone is laser focused on RD when it's not even the true flaw on our defense. The true problem is we've got Hughes OEL frikin PKing and OEL Myers playing shut down 5v5. The way we fix our D is to cut that nonsense out.  

Upgrading Shenn Myers does absolutely nothing to fix that. And would be ridiculously expensive so...... Diminishing returns.

Edited by hammertime