The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Summer Overhaul [Proposals]

Everyone know that the Canucks will look drastically different next year. I think we'll make not too many trades, but they will definitely be impactful and change the makeup of the entire roster. So this is what I envision:

Trade #1: Miller to CAR

VAN:

Martin Necas 

Scott Morrow

2023 1st 

CAR:

J.T. Miller

-- 

Trade #2: Pearson to LA

VAN:

Helge Grans

Lias Andersson

LA:

Tanner Pearson

Mikey DiPietro

-- 

Free Agency:

Sign Curtis Lazar, Zach Sanford

Boeser - Pettersson - Podkolzin 

Kuzmenko - Horvat - Garland 

Sanford - Necas - Hoglander

Andersson - Lazar - Lockwood

• Didn't even bother trying the defence because that thing is a mess. I think with the Carolina trade, Morrow is the RHD with the super high potential that fits what the Canucks are looking for in a Miller package. Kid played well at UMass this year, so could continue to develop. Necas (RFA) gives that right-handed centre option we have been so desperate for, and also can score more in an opportunity here as he has never had the opportunity there for the longest time despite his pedigree as a high first rounder. Carolina has been touted as the next up and coming team for the longest time.. and made moves to become more of a contender recently (i.e. Andersen in goal). However, they have repeatedly shown that they keep choking and not getting past that 2nd round hurdle. Think Don Waddell makes a big splash because I think he's under more pressure with losing to NYR this past playoff.
  • LA trade... Pearson fits in them needing a veteran presence for their future playoff runs, and we sweeten the pot with DiPietro since it seems Silovs has overtaken him for the #1A position in Abbotsford. Would love to target Helge Grans, think there is no chance we get Brock Faber. Their RHD is stacked at the NHL level with Matt Roy, Jordan Spence, and Sean Durzi. Lias Andersson would be a throw in, but I think he can play here. Didn't even make their playoff roster, so would be a nice add to our bottom six energy role.
  • Lazar and Sanford in free agency, can skate but brings some versatility and willingness to be physical. 

Edited by DudePerfect
  • Like 1

I like the idea but I think if we're trading Miller, we want a ready-to-play young right handed defenceman who's around 22-25 years old and can fit with Hughes and Petey's timeline. Morrow has potential but hasn't played in even the AHL and won't progress with the rest of our squad, but Necas adds a different element to this team and may push for top-6 minutes. I wonder if we go after Pesce - he's 27 so still has a good 5 years and can instantly slot alongside Hughes.

It would be nice to get a center back and Carolina are stacked with young centers who are probably going to explode next year. They've got Jarvis, Necas and Domi who are going to challenge Aho and Trocheck for minutes and probably end up playing a lot of wing. I think of all of those guys, Domi will probably end up the odd man out - he's a bit older and less productive than Jarvis and Necas who will surely only get better, whereas Domi is plateauing.

Pesce and Domi is a big ask though so I wonder if this gets done:

Miller + Rathbone for Pesce + Domi +/- 2nd-3rd round pick

Miller's value is a 1st, player and pick. 

Rathbone's value is surely a late 1st

I'd say Pesce's worth is a 1st + player

Domi's worth is probably a 1st straight up

This sort of deal doesn't mess around and says we're ready to go for it now. Meanwhile, Carolina lose a good defensive defenceman but still have plenty, gain a future puck mover who may well slot into the lineup as a 7th guy but get a top, physical scorer to complement their skinny young forwards.

The Canucks get their top RD and 3rd line center all in 1 deal. Go out and sign Lazar for <1M.

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I like the idea but I think if we're trading Miller, we want a ready-to-play young right handed defenceman who's around 22-25 years old and can fit with Hughes and Petey's timeline. Morrow has potential but hasn't played in even the AHL and won't progress with the rest of our squad, but Necas adds a different element to this team and may push for top-6 minutes. I wonder if we go after Pesce - he's 27 so still has a good 5 years and can instantly slot alongside Hughes.

It would be nice to get a center back and Carolina are stacked with young centers who are probably going to explode next year. They've got Jarvis, Necas and Domi who are going to challenge Aho and Trocheck for minutes and probably end up playing a lot of wing. I think of all of those guys, Domi will probably end up the odd man out - he's a bit older and less productive than Jarvis and Necas who will surely only get better, whereas Domi is plateauing.

This sort of deal doesn't mess around and says we're ready to go for it now. Meanwhile, Carolina lose a good defensive defenceman but still have plenty, gain a future puck mover who may well slot into the lineup as a 7th guy but get a top, physical scorer to complement their skinny young forwards.

The Canucks get their top RD and 3rd line center all in 1 deal. Go out and sign Lazar for <1M.

That never will happen. Domi is wildly over-rated here.
Besides aren’t Domi and Trochek UFAs. 

21 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Domi is UFA this summer..Hope we can sign Domi 2 yrs X 4.4 -- 4.6 million show me more...

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, wildcam said:

Domi is UFA this summer..Hope we can sign Domi 2 yrs X 4.4 -- 4.6 million show me more...

If that's the case, we should just build a trade around Miller and Pesce. A guy like Miller deserves a good player, pick and prospect. Super-stars usually deserve a good roster player (eg. top-4 defenceman or top-6 forward), 1st and A-grade prospect. Miller isn't quite there but certainly a 100ish point, all-around center deserves a top player, 1st or high 2nd and an A or B-grade prospect.

At the most, from Carolina that is - Pesce + 1st + Jack Drury which to be honest I'd jump all over.

Alternatively if we want Morrow, it's probably something like - Morrow + Lorenz + 1st

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, KyGuy123 said:

I’d look at Weegar in Florida. He’s a UFA in 2 years and if they would take a signed Garland and another asset we should consider it. That’s cheaper than Pesce and Garland is a cost controlled winger. 

A little side note: I watched a lot of playoff hockey and thought that Weegar was not very good at all. 

If Myers did some things that Weegar did, we would be trying to run him out of town. 

5 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

A little side note: I watched a lot of playoff hockey and thought that Weegar was not very good at all. 

If Myers did some things that Weegar did, we would be trying to run him out of town. 

Weegar kind of needs to be “the guy” on his pair though in Florida, doesn’t he?  Here, he could play the supporting role in a pair with Hughes or OEL (likely Hughes).  If we could get him for Garland that would be fantastic.  I just don’t see why Florida would be interested in adding Garland.