The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

1 pick...so far

Give them time

Time to do what?? We've given every management "time" to add picks but all they do is ship them out then at the draft tell us fans that "nobody wants to move those high end picks and it would cost too much", ok why do you give them away like halloween candy then

• Like 2

In a draft not loaded with quality D the 2 that stand out so far are Reinbacher & Simashev. Reinbacher has been mentioned alot but Simashev is a really good player too. 6'4 and a good all around game, already playing in the KHL.

I also like Oliver Bonk & ASP. Bonk has nice upside but is much more raw, and ASP could be a solid but unspectacular 2nd pair D.

Dragicevic, Molendyk, and Allen have good parts to there games but each big questions aswell that potentially limits their upside, imo.

Edit: Haven't seen enough of guys like Gulyayev, Cagnoni, Lindstein or Strbak yet to say much on them.

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, DudePerfect said:

I would agree with most of what you said, which is why I think a trade down could become a realistic opportunity. Dvorsky has a great all around package as a center, but I could see Ritchie having the same potential as him too and a trade down target. Sucks for the canucks because the tier we are picking in is really winger heavy.

You know I really don't think we should concern ourselves with generalized rankings. We should purely be focused on our team its direction what our vision is and take the player we feel best fits that and rank players accordingly.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, AngryElf said:

Leonard vs Smith sounds like the Jack Quinn vs Marco Rossy debate, where one is expected to go higher and has a more electric game, where the other will probably be the better all around guy in the future. 

In this case, Will Smith is Marco Rossi. 

Marco Rossi is way more irritating though. He has real pest potential in addition to his skill. 

12 hours ago, R3aL said:

Leonard is heavier, plays heavy, plays bigger than he is. And he’s gonna have a build kinda similar to JT miller I think when he’s a pro. Be thick.

I do really like Benson. Agree with everything you’ve said 

I like that his rankings are all over the place from Like 8-60 lol

this draft has so many smaller skilled guys in it feels like an absurd amount

Some sources have Leonard at 6'0 now, including TSN. And I've been saying for a while I think Leonard's skill is way under-rated. @Smashian Kassianmentioned his skating and shot as plus skills, but his stick skills are pretty high-end too when he chooses to use them. The two things that I didn't notice as much early on but stand out the more I watch of him are his physicality and his hands. I mean I always knew he had a physical element to him but as the season goes on we're starting to really see him finish his checks. If there are question marks about upside, I think they are less around skills per se, and more around offensive vision and playmaking. Still not sure I'd take him over Smith but I agree it's getting close.

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Some sources have Leonard at 6'0 now, including TSN. And I've been saying for a while I think Leonard's skill is way under-rated. @Smashian Kassianmentioned his skating and shot as plus skills, but his stick skills are pretty high-end too when he chooses to use them. The two things that I didn't notice as much early on but stand out the more I watch of him are his physicality and his hands. I mean I always knew he had a physical element to him but as the season goes on we're starting to really see him finish his checks. If there are question marks about upside, I think they are less around skills per se, and more around offensive vision and playmaking. Still not sure I'd take him over Smith but I agree it's getting close.

There's time where he dangles impressively then times where he isn't smooth & just seems to bobble pucks. I don't know what to make of it, I guess my conclusion was he doesn't have the best handle but you've seen more of him than me.

I do agree on the playmaking too, idk if the IQ is there to be a high impact offensive player but he's going to be a valuable player & a pain to play against with his 'bull in a china shop' style. I do like him as a guy in the teens.

I think I'd take Dvorsky, Yager, Barlow over the NTDP guys though. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks only have the one 1st (currently), so got to get a good one

1. Bedard

2. Fantilli

3. Carlsson

4. Michkov

5. Benson

6. Smith

7. Yager

8. the best projected D (Sandin-Pellikka or Reinbacher?)

Yeah, Demko is back. Who is 10-13. Even without Islanders pick that’s all we get. 

5 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

I like Leonard’s hands AND his power forward play has improved since the start of the season for sure 

im Convinced he’s going to be the most impactful of the group at the NHL but I think the 4 nations is impacting this

see by end of year but I think he’s looking like a very solid prospect 

4 hours ago, R3aL said:

I like Leonard’s hands AND his power forward play has improved since the start of the season for sure 

im Convinced he’s going to be the most impactful of the group at the NHL but I think the 4 nations is impacting this

see by end of year but I think he’s looking like a very solid prospect 

Can't wait for the official IIHF U18s. Last year I should have predicted Sweden to upset USA because from watching the minor tournaments they were the only team that really put up a fight and that was without Lekkerimaki or Ohgren, so I should have figured with the full cohort maybe they'd stand a chance. This year Finland and Sweden have both given USA some trouble at different times. Sweden's depth is so under-rated this year. Felix Nilsson, Felix Unger-Sorum, Kristian Kostadinski, Noel Nordh, Anton Wahlberg, Axel Landen, just so many intriguing prospects. On the other hand Kalle Carlsson was a player I was intrigued with coming into the year and have been severely disappointed.

Finland is going to be super interesting to watch. Their forward crop is strong for '23 with the likes of Jesse Nurmi, Kasper Halttunen, Rasmus Kumpalainen Emil Jarventie, Jesse Kiiskinen, Emil Kuusla, Tuomos Uronen Their defense crop for this draft looks pretty weak. But then where it gets really interesting is going to be their '24 crop playing up. It's not outside the realm of possibility that Kiviharju and Helenius are the first two players taken in the '24 draft - Ok, unlikely, but they probably both go top five. Both could be not just impact players, but maybe even dominant as under-agers at this year's U18s. And then add Veeti Vaisanen and Sebastian Soini to the defense, who both look like probable first rounders for '24, and maybe Finland could do some damage.

Sounds like you watched more of the recent 4 Nations than I did, and maybe you saw things differently, but from what I saw USA's big line just had no answer for Kiviharju and they didn't have the depth to make the rest of the team pay, while Sweden beat Finland because they could roll multiple lines and there's only one Kiviharju. With Hagens and Eiserman now playing up for USA that could give them the two line look they need to make the difference.

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

FYI Connor Bedard Vs Zach Benson tonight at 5pm on TSN!

Should be cool to see these guys go head to head. 

Thanks! set the PVR. Who knows, Canucks could end up with one of these guys. 

My concern is that they'll start winning some games down the stretch and VAN ends up picking #10. Do they go with Sandin-Pellikka at that point if he's still there? Barlow or Dvorsky might still around at 10, but not sure if those would be the right picks. Take a chance on Cristall?

• Tanks a lot 1

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

My concern is that they'll start winning some games down the stretch and VAN ends up picking #10. Do they go with Sandin-Pellikka at that point if he's still there? Barlow or Dvorsky might still around at 10, but not sure if those would be the right picks. Take a chance on Cristall?

I like Reinbacher & Yager. Also opening up to Simashev. Dvorsky seems good too.

I caught the back half of the AIK game today on my lunch break. Best showing I've seen from Dvorsky so far at the pro level. Pretty much everything I wanted to see from him, I saw. He's looking more confident, carrying the puck through the neutral zone on a number of occasions. Nothing flashy but he gained the zone with control successfully every time. He shot the puck every chance he got. Forced a couple of turnovers in the offensive zone and made plenty of good plays all over the defensive zone.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

44 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

At 10 you hope Reinbacher is there but honestly walking away with one of Dvorsky or ASP would be amazing value at 10th