The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Those who did not want a GM change.

Rate this topic

MaxVerstappen33

1 hour ago, AnthonyG said:

Buddy, Gillis is a huge reason we are where we are what are you smoking. Benning at least landed us players that are our future. Between Nonis and Gillis we got Edler who is no longer here and Horvat.

Gillis sucked. Cant get a job in the NHL after his stint in Vancouver, sold the future away, failed to develop any players. Shortened our window and was handed players like the Daniel, Henrik, Bieksa, Kesler, Burrows, Edler, Salo, Luongo, Schneider, Hansen in their prime or at the peak of their prime and within 5 years it was all over. Our hopes of a cup came crashing down and we had zero youth in the pipes ready to take over.

Burke is the biggest reason and Nonis was the 2nd biggest reason for “Gillis’ glory days” 

Nonis brought Lou in and drafted Edler and signed Burrows, Burke drafted the rest if that core. Gillis put sprinkles on a f***ing cake. 

In 5 years people will look back on JB’s drafting and he’ll be like Burke in the way he set up the future through drafting. 

Demko, Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser*, Podz, Hoglander*, Rathbone*

Be thankful it took Benning 5 years to find these players and not 8years PLUS development.

Gillis is overrated and the zero employment nearly 10 years later is just proof of that

Michael Grabner and Mason Raymond too. But Gillis gave Grabner away for Keith Ballard. 

Gillis should have traded Raymond instead. How he could not see that Grabner was a more dynamic player I'll never know. Grabner would have been a long term part of the team. 

Gillis also probably could have traded Hodgson for a lower risk player than Kassian. Ppl forget that Hodgson was far from a bust when he was traded. He was scoring big goals against good goalies. 

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

It doesn't matter what someone says to you, you hate Benning and that's the end of story.  

"superannuated defencemen older then God to a massive contract"  lmao  

This is too funny 

I don’t hate Benning, but I believe him to be a terrible GM - all you have to do to change my opinion is disprove the facts I gave earlier. But since they are facts, my opinion stands. If Rutherford accumulates as bad a record, I’ll have a similar opinion of him.

On 10/22/2022 at 6:03 PM, MaxVerstappen33 said:

All we needed was a coaching change. There was a few of us who did not like the idea of firing Benning.

I relaunched my account specifically to protest the idea of firing Benning. For one reason. Because i was afraid of who would replace him. It would sure be nice to have firing the GM as an option now. But we spend that option already. 

To be fair , i don't think Rutherford has done anything that Benning wouldn't have done yet. But that is going to change. Everyone in the league knows that Jimmy is desperate. 

Make sure your fire insurance is up to date if you live in the city.

I actually don't think that Benning was the problem, I think we needed a strong President in place to run the day to day and fine tune the team.

If Benning was doing as bad a job as speculated on this board, the new team would have worked harder for sweeping on ice changes. The management team is 100% Rutherford, but the on ice team is still, 1 year later, really Bennings team. 

4 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Michael Grabner and Mason Raymond too. But Gillis gave Grabner away for Keith Ballard. 

Gillis should have traded Raymond instead. How he could not see that Grabner was a more dynamic player I'll never know. Grabner would have been a long term part of the team. 

Gillis also probably could have traded Hodgson for a lower risk player than Kassian. Ppl forget that Hodgson was far from a bust when he was traded. He was scoring big goals against good goalies. 

If Grabner ever showed up to camp in shape and ready to play he could have beat Raymond for a spot. He had two golden opportunities to do it. When traded to Florida he had another golden opportunity with a spot up for grabs and showed up in poor shape again. He was beat out and put on waivers. The rest is hindsight.

On 10/31/2022 at 7:26 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

I like/liked about 80% of Benning's tenure.  He was brought in for his drafting acumen though, and he was very good at it.  

Now that we are trying to take the next step and become a contender, it was time to move on, so I didn't mind the change that much.  People here use the power of hindsight and Holy Jesus to try and blame everything on Benning.  It's kinda hilarious. 

There was no hindsight needed for moves like OEL. He saw an 8 mil aging dman post a 24 pt season the year after failing to acquire him and decided that he was worth parting a top 10 pick for.

Not to mention signing the Ferland contract with the injury history.