The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

87 points? 94 points? 97 points?

Rate this topic

UnkNuk

Many here are probably familiar with these numbers but I was doing some calculating and thought I'd pass them on.

Approximately how  many points will the Canucks (or any other Western Conference team) need to get into the playoffs?

It's hard to tell.

I looked at the past ten 82 game seasons and noted the minimum number of points needed in each season to get into the Western Conference playoffs.

The average minimum points needed over the ten seasons was 93.8 points.  We'll call it 94 points.

The lowest minimum number of points needed to get into the playoffs was 87 points (in the 15-16 season).  Getting into the playoffs with less than 90 points only happened once in the ten seasons.

The highest minimum number of points needed to get into the playoffs was 97 points (three different seasons).

So the minimum number of points needed to get into the Western Conference playoffs ranged from 87 points to 97 points with an average of 94 points.

Of course, there's no guarantee that that range will hold this season.  Perhaps a team will get in with 85 points.  Or perhaps it will take 99 points this season to get in.

Given the Canucks' start, for those who still hope that the Canucks make the playoffs, they best hope this will be one of those infrequent seasons where the minimum will be in the 80s.

• Upvote 1

if early results hold, it looks like it could be  a low year

Seattle is sitting 4th at fake .500

Winnipeg is 5th at real .500 (no loser points)

NJersey is 5th at  .571

Toronto is 7th at  .571

Lucky (?) we aren't in the East