The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Boston Bruins | Nov. 13, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, lmm said:

Oh, I thought you were comparing Bo to Lidstrom

Yvon Cournoyer was Captain once too

So I will agree with you, however, I don't see the relevance to the Canuck predicament

You listed some really good captains, that have nothing to do with this poor example of a team

I'll leave you to it

Look at St Louis now? I guess O’Reilly should be stripped of his C too since the Blues are god awful this year. 

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I was thinking about how poor our prospect development has been over the years and how a guy like Brisebois personifies that perfectly.

He was drafted as a smooth skating stay at home guy that didn’t do anything flashy but was steady in his own end. He has spent 7 years developing in this organization and doing everything asked of him to reach the next level. 

So when the team has the worst defensive stats in franchise history and are a complete mess on the back end, what do they do? They go out and trade for another left shot D man. One who by all accounts struggles in his own end and was cast off by another team for a reason.

Would that not have been the perfect time to reward one of your “home grown” prospects who has stuck it out here for 7 years and given him a real shot? What are we afraid of exactly? That he’ll cost us games? That he isn’t ready? He’s 25 for crying out loud, give him a shot. He looked good in the small sample size. Instead they’d rather keep Rathbone up and not play him and ruin yet another prospects development?

Prospects must really hate it when they get drafted by the Canucks. This team constantly blocks players paths to the NHL. It’s a big reason why we overpay for bottom 6 players and never have any sort of identity.

I would love to see Brisebois get an extended run with the team and this year is the perfect one to try it out imo. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, EdgarM said:

I don't have issue with Bo as a player, but I do have issue with him as a Captain. It's been so long since a good quality Captain ran this ship, no one knows what they should look like.

Sure, who else do you pick from this team though? Is Schenn that guy ... maybe?

It could be better but he's not some negative drain or anything like that when looking at the possible choices.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Sure, who else do you pick from this team though? Is Schenn that guy ... maybe?

It could be better but he's not some negative drain or anything like that when looking at the possible choices.

The strip Bo of the C movement is beyond mind boggling. 

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

The strip Bo of the C movement is beyond mind boggling. 

Ha, yeah a little bit. The Captaincy is not some great difference maker. This team is poor no matter who is leading it right now. It would be a hollow gesture without a doubt. They are grasping at straws.

On the matter itself Bo was thrust into the role pretty early and I'm not sure if it's the right role 100% for him. Not sure it's not either though. Don't get me wrong nothing wrong with him but maybe he plays better without it in the future, depending on what happens. The way I could see that is if they brought in someone else like a more veteran guy, or of course he gets traded.

The future's certainly uncertain.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

5 hours ago, ABNucksfan said:

Kessler played a tough game and was a huge reason his teams made the playoffs and went far in the playoffs. He had to mitigate the toll on his body. 

Bo’s the leader and has led this team into being a bunch of soft bend over and take it “pussy’s” just like you said. Hes the biggest player in the NHL who has gone the most games without throwing a hit.

Thats not the kind of leader that takes a team to the NHL playoffs and beyond.

Ill be happier than a pig in shit when Soft as butter Bo is traded. 

Do you just jersey yourself when you get in a fight? :lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I was thinking about how poor our prospect development has been over the years and how a guy like Brisebois personifies that perfectly.

He was drafted as a smooth skating stay at home guy that didn’t do anything flashy but was steady in his own end. He has spent 7 years developing in this organization and doing everything asked of him to reach the next level. 

So when the team has the worst defensive stats in franchise history and are a complete mess on the back end, what do they do? They go out and trade for another left shot D man. One who by all accounts struggles in his own end and was cast off by another team for a reason.

Would that not have been the perfect time to reward one of your “home grown” prospects who has stuck it out here for 7 years and given him a real shot? What are we afraid of exactly? That he’ll cost us games? That he isn’t ready? He’s 25 for crying out loud, give him a shot. He looked good in the small sample size. Instead they’d rather keep Rathbone up and not play him and ruin yet another prospects development?

Prospects must really hate it when they get drafted by the Canucks. This team constantly blocks players paths to the NHL. It’s a big reason why we overpay for bottom 6 players and never have any sort of identity.

Exactly, why have a young guy playing on an elc when you can pay Pearson and whomever else $3+ mil to block the prospects you are supposed to be developing?

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Exactly, I couldn't believe it when I heard about the trade for Riley Stillman.  I decided to give it a shot since I never focused on him when watching Chicago games and now I realize that it was exactly what I originally thought: a desperate move that didn't make our blueline better at all.  

Lukas Jasek was another player who inexplicably got stuck on the farm when he deserved to be given a shot.  

This team better start selling off some pieces on the backend.  We have a monopoly on 7th d-men.  

9 hours ago, Baratheon said:

I feel like we haven't had a lot of success with "tough" teams in our city.

We have only had playoff success with tough teams: Smyl's, Linden's, and The Sedins' teams were all tough, and in Linden's and The Sedins' teams' cases, maybe just not quite tough enough.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, nuck-lifer said:

Yeah, Linden rarely fought and took us to the final, Sedin never fought and took us to the final

Mentally tough, Bo's the same and there are  many more that actually won the cup with out dropping the gloves all the time.... the list is long.

Yup.

You don't want your captains and top players doing the dirty work; but somebody has to do it.

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I thought Breezer had a good showing too; but there is something about him that nobody has deemed him NHL-good-enough so far.  If I recall correctly, he has also cleared waivers more than once, so that says something too.

I see a lot of people saying something similar to: "They go out and trade for another left shot D man. One who by all accounts struggles in his own end and was cast off by another team for a reason". 

And paraphrased, "We gave up a 2nd round pick for Stillman". 

I believe we also got rid of a cap dump (Dickinson) in that deal, and most CDCers wanted him and his contract gone.  

Of course, once he got a couple points right after the trade, some pretended they knew all along that 'we should never have given him up'.

We also got cap room in that deal, which allowed us to fit Bear in (who is not very good either imo, but that's a different story).

Anyway, Cheers DeNiro!  I agree there have been long-term problems with prospect development yet we keep promoting and encouraging coaches and assistants from the farm.  I am not a fan of Kull or Johnson, but I don't know very much, just a long-time fan.

9 hours ago, Cluminati* said:

Apologies if this was posted before, another very accurate message. Too bad it will probably not get through again!

I cannot listen to their shite anymore; yesterday they said, "Bo Luke Schenn has to be traded, just has to!"

And with that 1 minute of radio time, I turned the radio back off.

(Donnie used to be so good; back in his one man late-night gig.)

Edited by Goal:thecup
Meant to say Schenn, got up too early, lol.

6 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Trade OEL Pearson resign Schenn and Bo

While this may be nice, I would think it is easier said than done.  The "Trade OEL Pearson" part I mean.

(The re-sign Schenn and Bo part is already doable, imo.)

Pearson is roughly worth his contract but getting too slow for the modern league so we would have to take a player and his cap back I think.

And OEL has so many years left at high dough, I think we might have to add pick(s)/prospect(s) and/or retain salary, neither of which is very appealing.

But I think both players are expendable, and it would free up 10 million bux, so maybe we could sweeten it up and gitter dun.

7 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

I cannot listen to their shite anymore; yesterday they said, "Bo has to be traded, just has to!"

And with that 1 minute of radio time, I turned the radio back off.

(Donnie used to be so good; back in his one man late-night gig.)

Wut da hek?