The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Amount of time spent with others since 2013

I think the issue is more social media than smartphone use. 
‘There is also a type of bias here. There has been a big push over last several years to openly talk about mental health. This on its own would increase willingness to admit to mental health struggles which on a survey will look like a surge in cases and frequency but is really just an unearthing of what has already been there. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I think the issue is more social media than smartphone use. 
‘There is also a type of bias here. There has been a big push over last several years to openly talk about mental health. This on its own would increase willingness to admit to mental health struggles which on a survey will look like a surge in cases and frequency but is really just an unearthing of what has already been there. 

Social media use is correlated with depression but the directionality of this relationship appears to be depression-->social media use rather than social media use-->depression. 

https://psycnet.apa.org/buy/2018-61357-001

2 hours ago, Down by the River said:

A pretty simple counterpoint is that having anxiety/depression would influence withdrawing from social interactions. I'm not saying that this is the case, just that it is really stupid to have such a strong opinion based on the data presented here. 

Agreed, the twitter statement isn't mine. 

I was more interested in the visual representation of the time spent.