The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Amount of time spent with others since 2013

Very interesting numbers that have probably just gotten even more skewed obviously with the pandemic, but even as more and more people work from home now. 

Yeah, seems like that's the reality these days.  People trade the value of in-person connectedness for the "freedom" to be able to do whatever they want, and many times it's in the comfort of time in a virtual space (e.g., in a game).  At first, I thought it was going to be just single people who lived by themselves, but surprisingly even those in couples are still spending more time by themselves, and it's tough to think that it's good when over time people will just forget how to talk and connect IRL.  

• Cheers 1

If I compare myself to how I was before the pandemic and now, my energy has gone down. I'm more tired and my head is foggy at times. I used to have more energy and I enjoyed taking day trips, going to hockey games, going places, going shopping, eating out, etc. I remember two months before the stay at home order, I went to London and I had a nice time. I went to the Tower of London, walked everywhere, ate dessert and drank champagne at Harrods, just to name a few. I was even thinking about going to Norway within a few months totally unaware of what would be happening in a few months.  

I am an introvert, and enjoy listening to people, reading what people have to say. Sometimes I don't say much, but I am listening and taking in the information. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

10 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Really these trends go much further back. Data was similar for many age groups as television gained popularity then multiplied with the internet, gaming, etc.

It’s also worth noting by age where these same patterns were apparent pre-pandemic.

23EF37D5-1C13-48FF-9CA9-12D47A196DD5.jpeg

So time alone increases as we age although it looks like it's all accounted by the loss of time with coworkers as people retire and children as they move away. 

Interesting graph! 

Just now, VancouverHabitant said:

So time alone increases as we age although it looks like it's all accounted by the loss of time with coworkers as people retire and children as they move away. 

Interesting graph! 

It does but the one thing that stood out to me was that the roughly 20 - 40 age group averaged just under 5 hrs/day alone already pre-pandemic, (this graph shows 2009-2019 avg.) This can only have gone up during the pandemic so it makes me suspect that the chart you posted should read per day rather than per week. 9 hours alone per week seems way too low.

5 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

It does but the one thing that stood out to me was that the roughly 20 - 40 age group averaged just under 5 hrs/day alone already pre-pandemic, (this graph shows 2009-2019 avg.) This can only have gone up during the pandemic so it makes me suspect that the chart you posted should read per day rather than per week. 9 hours alone per week seems way too low.

The original graph seems to show an increase/decrease based on 2013 numbers.  Confused me at first because I saw negative values. 

Well I think part of it is that there's usually nothing but bad news everywhere, Media, social media, word of mouth, and this is now, awhile back I completely stopped watching the news is was getting so depressing but now we're on a while new level of being ground down in our minds that we get tired and lack energy to do the things we once did without a seconds hesitation. 

Sadly I went back to the dark side, I even watch what's going on in the global arena which is downright scary to think about in the middle of everything else like crazy flooding, earth quakes and forest fires ++++++++++++!

Finally coming back to the light side now though, I just keep working and keep busy, just do things today, and not worry about tomorrow, try to enjoy another 24 hours above ground and be thankful for it and NOT to forget to look up everyday... 

What else can you do?! If I'm doing this wrong please enlighten me, I'm not afraid to be wrong lol 

Onnnnn the lighter side of reality... Go Canucks go!! Lol andddd go Kuz!  

Edited by iceman64
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Well I think part of it is that there's usually nothing but bad news everywhere, Media, social media, word of mouth, and this is now, awhile back I completely stopped watching the news is was getting so depressing but now we're on a while new level of being ground down in our minds that we get tired and lack energy to do the things we once did without a seconds hesitation. 

Sadly I went back to the dark side, I even watch what's going on in the global arena which is downright scary to think about in the middle of everything else like crazy flooding, earth quakes and forest fires ++++++++++++!

Finally coming back to the light side now though, I just keep working and keep busy, just do things today, and not worry about tomorrow, try to enjoy another 24 hours above ground and be thankful for it and NOT to forget to look up everyday... 

What else can you do?! If I'm doing this wrong please enlighten me, I'm not afraid to be wrong lol 

My kind of guy! I cut back heavily on daily news as well and it helps. 

I was watching a YouTuber van-dweller who happens to be a single woman living full-time and travelling in her van. She said that she is so happy and grateful to be young and alive in a time that allows her to live her dream by documenting her days on social media, something that she wouldn’t have been able to do in any other era. Worth remembering that not everything about social media is bad. People who look for good are much more likely to find it.

• Huggy Bear 1

24 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Hopefully it goes to the right part, it's just a little 30 second listen.  

Cheers! 

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Hopefully it goes to the right part, it's just a little 30 second listen.  

Cheers! 

Ok maybe I'm tired as I think I'am but kind of missed your point opposed to what he said, I'm not saying I agree with him on what he said, some truth in it but some, not so much, partially because violence has evolved in our lifetime, today opposed to 100 years ago, Hiroshima to start off with and we've never had the power to wipe out the face of the planet 10x over, however "logic" on his second point has to be applied, there is no way someone should blindly believe things, logic says take a closer look and think for ourselves.. 

Want proof?  How about our Canucks? Lmao! How many times have we sold the farm for a roster and ended up with a good roster but with no depth and expect to win a cup ffs? :P

but hey, the media has been pushing it for years and people keep buying it... 

So it's ok NOT to drink the cool-aid ;) at least without seeing whose mixing it... because you just know someone is just dying to spike it lmao! 

ummm.. thing is, for as long as mankind has existed, there's been a struggle for power, position, and privilege. It's been like for thousands of years and I don't expect it to change anytime soon BUT at the end of the day we all die, is it really worth it? I mean the newest best thing? Keeping up to the Jones' ? Taking our value from that?! And judging success by it too? 

Meh not on my watch, I used to live in north van, lived the life, and felt like I was on a never ending, tiring 7-3 treadmill. 

Now I'm up north and leading a quiet fun life not chasing the almighty dollar anymore like I used to, I would IF I could buy time back but I'm nor rich, nor poor but happy :)

I do what I can to help other people who need it through no fault of their own and I feel fortunate to be able to do but it's worth it for a smile and it's the little things in life that count a lot more than money and power, neither of those will hold out hands when we pass.. 

Ok rant lol sorry.... Idk, but either way it's best to live today like it's our last because truly it just might be..

• Huggy Bear 1

I bet video games and TV, etc. have effected that a lot.  Now a lot of time "spent" with friends is due to playing online with friends, when a decade ago before online was a big thing, I would have a group of friends over for a video game night with pool/ping pong/air hockey, etc. where we all hung out and played games and spent time with each other.  How often do kids do that now?

I'd argue that things started going downhill when the first Iphone/Smartphones were becoming mainstream. Would be interesting to see a study on the effects they had. I remember going to highschool with no phone at all, nowadays it seems like you can't live without one.