The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Montreal Canadiens at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 05, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

That could bring some great prospects. Replacing Demko would be quite the chore though. 

I thought about that and then thought would it be that difficult?

With Clark turning Martin into a decent NHLer, I don’t see why he couldn’t do it with another decent UFA signing. I’d be more confident finding that player than finding a right shot defender in free agency.

Seems like that’s becoming more and more common. Goalies change around constantly in this league now. Seems like not being tied to one for too long gives you flexibility.

That being said the return would have to be something huge. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

That could bring some great prospects. Replacing Demko would be quite the chore though. 

Ya, their goaltending is very very questionable right now lmfao. I guess it all depends on what Rutherford’s direction is, and I don’t think we really know until TDL.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I mean if thats what you come back with after proving not making up what Linden said you’re not discussing things objectively. 

Far from a kool-aid drinker too, thanks. 

It is still a lame excuse and JB doubled down, using the Sedins, as the main reason for signing LE.  Then he tripled down by extending the contract - with OEL cause based on what heard in the radio, the Sedins did vouch for OEL before JB, finalized the deal.  It seems the Sedins has been made the scapegoat for alot of bad decisions and they were not the one's, pulling the trigger - but probably consulted to make the deal.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

Just now, ShawnAntoski said:

It is a lame excuse and JB doubled down, using the Sedins, as the main reason for signing LE.  Then he tripled down by extending the contract - with OEL cause based on what heard in the radio, the Sedins did vouch for OEL before JB, finalized the deal.  It seems the Sedins has been made the scapegoat for alot of bad decisions and they were not the one's, pulling the trigger - but probably consulted to make the deal.

Linden was the one who said it. As president it was his direction. 

The Sedin’s were already public about not wanting to waive for a trade. So realistically a full rebuild was never an option as they were our 2 best trade chips in the first place. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Ya, their goaltending is very very questionable right now lmfao. I guess it all depends on what Rutherford’s direction is, and I don’t think we really know until TDL.

Not JR’s direction.  It’s our owner’s call on the direction.  

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

The Sedin’s were already public about not wanting to waive for a trade. So realistically a full rebuild was never an option as they were our 2 best trade chips in the first place. 

Not Linden’s direction.  Not Benning’s.  Not Gillis’.  Not Nonis’.  And it’s not up to JR now.  Our owner sets the direction.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Not JR’s direction.  It’s our owner’s call on the direction.  

We will see. Imagine if Gillis was given the okay to rebuild after 2012 or was it 2013. Could’ve had a run at McDavid :ph34r:

Edited by J-23

I don't know whether to laugh or cry....this fracking team... the hockey gods were definitely having a big laugh tonight....two teams that can't defend having a scoring fest....sigh...this season is stil toast....not even a .500 team and almost 30 games in....gotta hope someone will pay big for Bo

• Cheers 2
  • RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, J-23 said:

We will see. Imagine if Gillis went was given the okay to rebuild after 2012 or was it 2013. Could’ve had a run at McDavid :ph34r:

The NTC’s and NMC’s were the teams downfall for the rebuild. Was never an option even freaking Hansen had a NTC.  Good work Gilman :rolleyes:

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, philtbc829 said:

I don't know whether to laugh or cry....this fracking team... the hockey gods were definitely having a big laugh tonight....two teams that can't defend having a scoring fest....sigh...this season is stil toast....not even a .500 team and almost 30 games in....gotta hope someone will pay big for Bo

I can confirm Blue Jackets will be trading a unprotected 1st, Johnson and Jiricek for Bo.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I agree with what you said, about the Sedins being untradable and I would also add: their salaries made it OEL & LE impossible cause a team would need acquire both (14 million). I would argue, the team could had done what LA did: rebuilding hard for a few years and now, they are able to compete with their new core, whilst the old core are finishing out their contracts, as lifers.

The presidents cup, after the 2011 Cup run has fooled Aqauman into the ever retooling strategy .

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Vintage 1

I agree with what you said, about the Sedins being untradable and I would also add: their salaries made it OEL & LE impossible cause a team would need acquire both (14 million). I would argue, the team could had done what LA did: rebuilding hard for a few years and now, they are able to compete with their new core, whilst the old core are finishing out their contracts, as lifers.

The presidents cup, after the 2011 Cup run has fooled Aqauman.

Its been a decade since even Aquilini isn’t that delusional. I just don’t buy the narrative. And hiring Rutherford realistically backs that up. 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Its been a decade since even Aquilini isn’t that delusional. I just don’t buy the narrative. And hiring Rutherford realistically backs that up. 

Same plan since 2011; and if JR was really given a chance to make some real changes, Aquaman would had given him what Yzerman got from Illich: a long term deal and full autonomy to rebuild or do what he wants, after Holland has gotten stale.  Hey we can disagree, but the yearly results are what they are - no cups and Aquaman is the one constant...

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

It's really not that simplified. 

The direction of the club has been the same across all these management groups, regardless of how good the team might be.  The one constant across those regimes is the owner.  It is very simple.  Aquilini tells management what his direction is for the club.  Then management tries to follow that course.  When management refuses, or suggests otherwise they are replaced.  Benning got to stay the longest even though he was the least successful (by a lot) because he kept following the owner’s direction.  He wa# just really bad at it.  JR has two more years to follow this direction.  He won’t have the freedom to trade key core pieces.  

• Haha 1

Same plan since 2011; and if JR was really given a chance to make some real changes, Aquaman would had given him what Yzerman got from Illich: a long term deal and full autonomy to rebuild, after Holland has gotten stale.  

It hasn’t been the same plan since 2011 though. Plan changed when the Sedins retired and Burrows and Hansen were traded. Pettersson Boeser and Hughes emerging sped things up a bit rightfully or wrongly. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Okay, if that’s the case then show one move during JR’s year here that isn’t following the owner’s direction.  Every move so far is exactly what Benning did.  It’s the same direction.