The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Montreal Canadiens at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 05, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

The direction of the club has been the same across all these management groups, regardless of how good the team might be.  The one constant across those regimes is the owner.  It is very simple.  Aquilini tells management what his direction is for the club.  Then management tries to follow that course.  When management refuses, or suggests otherwise they are replaced.  Benning got to stay the longest even though he was the least successful (by a lot) because he kept following the owner’s direction.  He wa# just really bad at it.  JR has two more years to follow this direction.  He won’t have the freedom to trade key core pieces.  

Yup, the short term deals are what gives Aquaman, the leverage

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The direction of the club has been the same across all these management groups, regardless of how good the team might be.  The one constant across those regimes is the owner.  It is very simple.  Aquilini tells management what his direction is for the club.  Then management tries to follow that course.  When management refuses, or suggests otherwise they are replaced.  Benning got to stay the longest even though he was the least successful (by a lot) because he kept following the owner’s direction.  He wa# just really bad at it.  JR has two more years to follow this direction.  He won’t have the freedom to trade key core pieces.  

Must be why everyone except Pettersson and Hughes have been on the market at some point this last year. 

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Must be why everyone except Pettersson and Hughes have been on the market at some point this last year. 

Has there been a trade of a key core piece?  And if we do trade a key core piece will it be for futures?  What evidence is there that JR isn’t following the “win now” direction of our owner?  What did JR do with the third he got for Hamonic?  That was a good deal, but then we moved th3 third for a fully developed guy, who is intended to help us win now.  Then we paid a second to dumperoo Dickinson so we could clear the cap to get Bear.  Another guy who is fully developed.  But it’s again a “win now” move.  Different management but still the same direction.

I would hope we do move key core pieces for futures and reset for a couple years, but IMHAO our owner’s history says he won’t allow that. 

Just now, Alflives said:

Has there been a trade of a key core piece?  And if we do trade a key core piece will it be for futures?  What evidence is there that JR isn’t following the “win now” direction of our owner?  What did JR do with the third he got for Hamonic?  That was a good deal, but then we moved th3 third for a fully developed guy, who is intended to help us win now.  Then we paid a second to dumperoo Dickinson so we could clear the cap to get Bear.  Another guy who is fully developed.  But it’s again a “win now” move.  Different management but still the same direction.

I would hope we do move key core pieces for futures and reset for a couple years, but IMHAO our owner’s history says he won’t allow that. 

Might as well go straight to panic then I guess.  :frantic:

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

He’s not pissing on his legacy to be a puppet. Please. 

So who is setting the direction then?  Show one move in the last year that is not following the Aquilini “win now” direction?

When we have evidence that JR is setting a different course from what our owner has always prescribed then I’ll agree with you.  But we haven’t seen anything like that.  

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

It hasn’t been the same plan since 2011 though. Plan changed when the Sedins retired and Burrows and Hansen were traded. Pettersson Boeser and Hughes emerging sped things up a bit rightfully or wrongly. 

Same ever retooling plan, with no emphasis on homegrown talents, is my MAIN point. Atleast, when the Canucks where sucking in the past, I can look forward to a top 5 pick, as hope for someone the club can build on (even though it is a given they will blow the pick - but ofcourse,  they did find a gem once in a while).  Right now, the team is at best playoff fodder cause the depth sucks, they are capped out and the prospect depth is still non existence, FROM THE FARM cause the farm team, is full of AHL lifers - for a winning record.  A quick summary of a team in NHL Purgatory and it took Aquaman & friends, more than a decade to achieve perpetual mediocrity.

• There it is 1

Just now, ShawnAntoski said:

Same ever retooling plan, with no emphasis on homegrown talents, is my MAIN point. Atleast, when the Canucks where sucking in the past, I can look forward to a top 5 pick, as hope for someone the club can build on (even though it is a given they will blow the pick - but ofcourse,  they did find a gem once in a while).  Right now, the team is at best playoff fodder cause the depth sucks, they are capped out and the prospect depth is still non existence, FROM THE FARM cause the farm team, is full of AHL lifers - for a winning record.  A quick summary of a team in NHL Purgatory and it took Aquaman & friends, more than a decade to achieve perpetual mediocrity.

So bringing in a proven winner in Rutherford is proof the direction has changed. Especially with the building of dedicated training facilities. 

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Might as well go straight to panic then I guess.  :frantic:

Not panicked, but definitely disappointed.  I was hopeful that JR would have the freedom to do what he sees as best.  He’s certainly talked about what he sees as needing to be done (and we all get excited when he does) but his actions have been a in direct contradiction to what he’s saying.  Every move has been in hopes to “win now”.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So who is setting the direction then?  Show one move in the last year that is not following the Aquilini “win now” direction?

When we have evidence that JR is setting a different course from what our owner has always prescribed then I’ll agree with you.  But we haven’t seen anything like that.  

Rutherford, hence bringing in a 3 time cup winning GM pedigree. 

8 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Not really, and Rutherford is not the kind of guy to be a lackey/puppet/yes man either. So it just doesn’t fit your narrative. 

Your kool aid logic prevents you from seeing the difference - from what Yzerman got vs what JR got.  Plus, before JR was hired, he mysteriously resigned from the Penguins and happily took two of lieutenants with him to Vancouver 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Rutherford, hence bringing in a 3 time cup winning GM pedigree. 

Again, I hope you’re right, but there is no actual evidence that what you’re suggesting is correct.  If fact there’s a lot of evidence to the contrary.  Every move made in the last year has been following the “win now” direction.  

• There it is 1

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

So.. I turned it off and went to bed at 4-0 when we were ready to jump off a cliff, apparently a big mistake.

What do we think of this game now??? 

Crappy but we won and somehow didn't fall apart,second crappy game we won.

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

So bringing in a proven winner in Rutherford is proof the direction has changed. Especially with the building of dedicated training facilities. 

Lemiux believes in rebuilding and Aquaman believes in retooling.  Plus, do you know of JRs' history as GM ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Your kool aid logic prevents you from seeing the difference - from what Yzerman got vs what JR got.  Plus, before JR was hired, he mysteriously resigned from the Penguins and happily took two of lieutenants with him to Vancouver 

Enough with the kool aid garbage. 

• Like 1