The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour). Jake Livingstone D - NCAA - NHL Availability

SilentSam

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Oh,  an invitation? …  pass..   im sure you’ll get a few to fall for it though.

lemmings GIF

I’ll bite. We have never seen Livingstone play a NHL game and it has been many years since Tryamkin has been here. Clearly both should come to camp this fall and compete for a spot on the team. Training camp + a preseason should answer that question. My impression is that competition for a roster spot will be large and neither one of these two making it a given. 

• Cheers 2

59 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Now we’re investigating a kids childhood for a team he cheered for ..

Presently the Flames play in a Rink that is falling apart,  and have a team that has no real  certainties or direction ..  I don’t think a real opportunity exists there for a young D man. 

I think Vancouver, and it’s group are a better option.

It's not inconceivable that we pass Calgary this year.  People are ragging on the Canucks for having to go to OT to beat Anaheim, but Calgary just lost to them in regulation last night.

They are a mess, much worse than the Canucks.  We are 6-2-1 in our last 9 games, they are 3-4-2 in that same timespan.  They are falling faster than a meteor.  On top of that, their star player Huberdeau who they signed to a 10.5x8 contract is on pace for 54 points.  Nazem Kadri in on pace for 58 points.  Tyler Toffoli is their leading scorer.  Markstrom has a worse SV% than Demko, even after Demko has had his worst year ever.  And to top that all off, they are even in a worse cap situation than us and they have zero top prospects.

They are fooked...

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It's not inconceivable that we pass Calgary this year.  People are ragging on the Canucks for having to go to OT to beat Anaheim, but Calgary just lost to them in regulation last night.

They are a mess, much worse than the Canucks.  We are 6-2-1 in our last 9 games, they are 3-4-2 in that same timespan.  They are falling faster than a meteor.  On top of that, their star player Huberdeau who they signed to a 10.5x8 contract is on pace for 54 points.  Nazem Kadri in on pace for 58 points.  Tyler Toffoli is their leading scorer.  Markstrom has a worse SV% than Demko, even after Demko has had his worst year ever.  And to top that all off, they are even in a worse cap situation than us and they have zero top prospects.

They are fooked...

If Calgary fires Sutter this offseason they could be a contender as early as next year. Say they hire Bruce, who teaches them to have fun and enjoy the game again. That mixed with a strong fundamental game could be like what the Canucks had when Bruce took over for Green, but better. If Marky gets back to his game and the team gets a coach they will play for, I think they are back atop the Pacific next year 

8 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

If Calgary fires Sutter this offseason they could be a contender as early as next year. Say they hire Bruce, who teaches them to have fun and enjoy the game again. That mixed with a strong fundamental game could be like what the Canucks had when Bruce took over for Green, but better. If Marky gets back to his game and the team gets a coach they will play for, I think they are back atop the Pacific next year 

They only have 8 players signed for the 2024 season with a 35-year-old Markstrom.  Even if they were to have some sort of resurgence next year, long term they don't have much to look forward to.  They have no prospects to come in to fill the void.  They'd have to go out and overpay for UFA's to fill their roster...

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They are fooked...

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They only have 8 players signed for the 2024 season with a 35-year-old Markstrom.  Even if they were to have some sort of resurgence next year, long term they don't have much to look forward to.  They have no prospects to come in to fill the void.  They'd have to go out and overpay for UFA's to fill their roster...

I'm not sure why you keep saying this. They actually have a couple decent really good prospects.

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I still think they are going to be in cup contention next year as long as they get a new coach.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I would agree with this. It's easy to want to dump all over Calgary just because but at the end of the day last year they were a top team in the conference. I do believe they got better with the additions they made, however they have a coach that is better off coaching in the 60s lol. While they are aging team, we certainly can't say what the future would look like as they do have players that can move for pics and prospects, but their prospect pool certainly isn't as bad as the OP said. 

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Who are these prospects you speak of?  The guy that is smaller than little Johhny?  Or the Harvard guy who will probably sign with the Rangers?

Yep, the Harvard guy which you seem to have a crystal ball and know what's going to happen haha. That'd be funny if it was twice in a row. Dustin Wolfe has looked amazing! Zary looks good and so does Pelltier. Kuznetsov has been quietly decent himself. Potentially a decent shutdown guy

48 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Not an invitiation - just that since you've been pumping the tires of both, but it's entirely (and in fact, very likely) possible that we can only sign one or the other due to cap space, I'm trying to understand what your position truly is between the two of them.

O.  k.   :) 

Tryamkin has had one NHL season with us and did not look out of place at all,.  What really lacked in his game with us was proper Coaching, and communication.

I think the testament for that is what we see now with Gonchar and Foote guiding Wolanin, Breisboise, Juulsen, their game immediately became better after that D staff coaching change.

I can imagine Nik responding exceptionally well with Gonchar on board,  including the type of game Foote used to play, preached.

The team environment with having more RuZ speaking players with the Canucks, and the room to position in the bottom 4 , with opportunities to move up, has to be a huge draw for this UFA .    It’s his Agent I don’t trust to see what’s best for this player and T Diamond seems to look for money , over long term positioning for the player.

This should be a single year , “show me” contract , 1 - 2.2 m.

Livingstone must be looking at the opportunity here, like Tryamkin, within the bottom 4 players.  There is room to “bump” and excel.. it’s an opportunity not many teams that are trending positively, have… and the age group is a match to enjoy.

Both players play a similar game , although playing in the NCAA , Livingstone has perhaps projected a better offensive side to his game.. yet still play physical.

Tryamkin is can skate, and can contribute offensively,  but the KHL game is more Defensively positive ,  Nik is a dominant threat physically. He can , like he has here, intimidate an offensive player carting the puck be merely moving to him quickly ,.  Most players stop, and give up, usually coughing up the puck ,  ..the others are demolished.

THAT  is SHUTDOWN  D at its best , your pairing D man merely flys by and picks up the stray puck and turns up to the Offence.

I want to see both here,.  

I actually see them both making an exciting, trusted, pairing to develop in the next NHL season..

… especially with our Coaches.

Tryamkin gets huge PK time and is exceptional in that role,  that could ease mins on Hughes and Hronek, including an unnecessary injury.  This could also become a specialty for Nik to concentrate on, boosting the need for him to communicate better himself.

I really like both, I’d be happy with either,.   But my wish list has both on it.

2 large above average skaters, with a combined skill set that could become a feared pairing against any 4th or 1st line.

That’s what I see.

… thanks for the arm twist :) 

ps.   Tryamkin is a L or R D .

I personally don’t put much emphasis on it anymore because of how the game has evolved.

Zone coverage , with the option to vocally call out “ SWITCH” to your partner is how I used to play.

It makes too much sense in tracking.

… you go back to your “positional” side with the same communication. 
Both players need to be vocal and communicate.

( this is why I f**king love Miller) 

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 1

@Elias Pettersson I actually think it's funny that you brought up Matthew Phillips I'm not sure why. Maybe you don't know much about their prospects? That being said I actually think he could turn out to be a decent playmaker if given the right opportunity, however, that'll never happen with their coach. He will end up being let go at the end of this season. He is really under sized, really lightweight but has some serious skill. Watch him flourish with a team in the east haha.

Edited by myre

1 minute ago, myre said:

Yep, the Harvard guy which you seem to have a crystal ball and know what's going to happen haha. That'd be funny if it was twice in a row. Dustin Wolfe has looked amazing! Zary looks good and so does Pelltier. Kuznetsov has been quietly decent himself. Potentially a decent shutdown guy

I think Calgary was pretty dumb to draft another Harvard guy who was born and raised in New York.  The chances of him signing in Calgary are almost zero.  Any player who is going to Harvard is obviously going to finish their schooling first, so they will play out the full 4 years and then go to wherever they want.  Rathbone should have stayed at Harvard and gotten his degree and then he could have just signed with Boston.  Big mistake for him to come all the way out to Vancouver to play in Abbotsford.

Every team has a couple guys, but I don't see any of them that stand out really, well except the Harvard guy.  Pelletier is tiny and will be turning 23 soon.  The clock is ticking for him...

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think Calgary was pretty dumb to draft another Harvard guy who was born and raised in New York.  The chances of him signing in Calgary are almost zero.  Any player who is going to Harvard is obviously going to finish their schooling first, so they will play out the full 4 years and then go to wherever they want.  Rathbone should have stayed at Harvard and gotten his degree and then he could have just signed with Boston.  Big mistake for him to come all the way out to Vancouver to play in Abbotsford.

Every team has a couple guys, but I don't see any of them that stand out really, well except the Harvard guy.  Pelletier is tiny and will be turning 23 soon.  The clock is ticking for him...

JP just got to the NHL. Wolfe has been absolutely insane! I would be concerned about his size, however he seems to make up for that with athleticism. In my opinion, over the years, Calgary has done well drafting in the later rounds and many cases far better in the later rounds than in the first round. Pelltier looked good with Kadri and Huberdeau. I actually like Brad Treliving he is from Penticton and I think he has done a pretty decent job, although he chose a terrible coach.

1 minute ago, myre said:

JP just got to the NHL. Wolfe has been absolutely insane! I would be concerned about his size, however he seems to make up for that with athleticism. In my opinion, over the years, Calgary has done well drafting in the later rounds and many cases far better in the later rounds than in the first round. Pelltier looked good with Kadri and Huberdeau. I actually like Brad Treliving he is from Penticton and I think he has done a pretty decent job, although he chose a terrible coach.

Sutter won 2 cups with LA and is a local Alberta boy.  Why is he a terrible coach?  People are saying that Calgary was a top team last year, wasn't Sutter the coach?  Also, wasn't it Sutter who took Calgary to the cup finals the last time they were there?  This is his second go around with the team.

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sutter won 2 cups with LA and is a local Alberta boy.  Why is he a terrible coach?  People are saying that Calgary was a top team last year, wasn't Sutter the coach?  Also, wasn't it Sutter who took Calgary to the cup finals the last time they were there?  This is his second go around with the team.

I don't disagree with you. Yes I know he is from Alberta and I know that it is a second time around. He also was their general manager and he was terrible when he was there. The reason I say he isn't a good coach is because of the coaching style that he puts out there. That being said, last year little Johnny had the best numbers he's ever had and it was under him so there is that. He just doesn't seem like much of a player's coach and I don't know if that is the type of coaching you want in 2023. If you look at the Calgary flames on paper there isn't many teams that are better on paper. Maybe half a dozen and yet they probably won't make the playoffs. So who do you get rid of?

5 minutes ago, myre said:

@Elias Pettersson as for drafting coranatto I do agree with you with the point you made. He is looking like a really good player makes you wonder if they should just trade him.

Yes, he is exactly what the Rangers need.  If Calgary can't sign him this summer, then he most likely stays for the full 4 years and goes UFA...

5 minutes ago, myre said:

I don't disagree with you. Yes I know he is from Alberta and I know that it is a second time around. He also was their general manager and he was terrible when he was there. The reason I say he isn't a good coach is because of the coaching style that he puts out there. That being said, last year little Johnny had the best numbers he's ever had and it was under him so there is that. He just doesn't seem like much of a player's coach and I don't know if that is the type of coaching you want in 2023. If you look at the Calgary flames on paper there isn't many teams that are better on paper. Maybe half a dozen and yet they probably won't make the playoffs. So who do you get rid of?

Oh I agree they most likely fire Sutter.  Every coach has a due date.  Not sure who else they could hire though.  Boudreau was mentioned.  He might give them a bump or two, but Boudreau doesn't have the pedigree of Sutter and Boudreau is even older.  Calgary is an old team with few prospects.  Once Markstrom is gone I don't see them being anywhere close to a contender.  Kadri and Huberdeau are getting older, they are not like Tkachuk and little Johhny.  

Oh I agree they most likely fire Sutter.  Every coach has a due date.  Not sure who else they could hire though.  Boudreau was mentioned.  He might give them a bump or two, but Boudreau doesn't have the pedigree of Sutter and Boudreau is even older.  Calgary is an old team with few prospects.  Once Markstrom is gone I don't see them being anywhere close to a contender.  Kadri and Huberdeau are getting older, they are not like Tkachuk and little Johhny.  

Signing a bunch of former Canucks comes with a lot of risk, Calgary seeing that now with Markstrom struggling. 

I laugh when people whine and bitch about JT and his 8m cap hit, be happy we do NOT have Huberdeau and his yet to be kicked in 10.5m contract....I am sure he has a bounce back season next year to at least ppg but right now it looks terrible

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1