The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Chicago Blackhawks at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 24, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

completely different era's that aren't remotely comparable.  I love Gino, but he wouldn't be an NHL player in this era

Yup different eras entirely. Agree to disagree on the rest.

Gino had to fight in a league filled with true heavyweights while Reaves has to fight only the very occasional tough guy.
So what does Reaves do that Gino couldn’t? Doesn’t skate, hit, score or fight better. 

4 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Gino demonstrated that he was a very adaptable player over the course of his career with the Canucks.  I'm sure he would have found his niche during this clusterf**k era and played a similarly successful career with the team/within the NHL in this era.

we can agree to disagree and we both love Gino I'm sure

6 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Yup different eras entirely. Agree to disagree on the rest.

Gino had to fight in a league filled with true heavyweights while Reaves has to fight only the very occasional tough guy.
So what does Reaves do that Gino couldn’t? Doesn’t skate, hit, score or fight better. 

Reaves is a pretty good skater and he's much bigger than Gino and can intimidate without fighting.  He's also a heavyweight hitter, which Gino wasn't.  

1 hour ago, Goal:thecup said:

I have loved Cheech through it all but I agree that this should be his last year; he's had a very good run and could guest spot (or whatever its called).

The one that bugs me right now is Shorty.  He's the one that needs SpecSavers! 

Can't tell the difference between a shot and a pass that is meant to be tipped.

And babbling on about some statistic he found, gimme a break; the freaking game is on; needs a butt-end to the mouth sometimes.

I like his play-by-play, when he actually calls the play, and he is getting better, but I have been through his 'age' and 'stuff' doesn't get better, it just gets worse.

I actually like some of the American play-by-play guys who stick rigorously to the game and let the colour guys fill in the details.

Yet the bias is ridiculous down there, e.g. Boston is not even honest or truthful!

Who do you suggest in their place R3aL?

I agree about Shorty.  He's not that old yet but is making more and more mistakes with player identity as well.  And catching up to the play. Or just not bothering to do his job occasionally trying to finish his point to Cheech. Shorty also thinks he's like a second colour man, or that he's playing in a buddy movie.  Talk about country club. Shorty has had an almost unfirable job, a dream job where he gets paid handsomely, for over a decade now.  He comes off as a bit entitled and lazy in the last few years. I wish he'd get back to more straight ahead play by play.

A lot of unnecessary banter while play is on, but also a couple of other things creeping in, like does he have to also be the offside ref almost every zone entry? by either team? Concentrate on the play itself. For one it sets me up each time with wondering if a goal is scored will it count or not?  Then asking Cheech what he thought. Too much. The other thing he does is being overly homer with non-calls.  We all don't like non-calls but he never fails to add.."so and so was hooked...no call".  We all can see it. And I don't mind him speaking up with the obvious ones where we really need a PP, but its like the boy who called "wolf!" with the offside calls and penalty calls. So much unnecessary verbiage.

Cheech I still love. And hope he stays on til he drops.  Homerism in the colour person is fine. In fact I want it. It makes the experience of watching a game more in tune with how most fans are feeling watching too.

• Vintage 1

13 hours ago, Timråfan said:

This will turn out real good with a competent management instead of Bennings Trumplike manner.

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

Trump-like manner?