The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Chicago Blackhawks at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 24, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

15 hours ago, R3aL said:

Ya I am aware I’m in the minority 

I have loved Cheech through it all but I agree that this should be his last year; he's had a very good run and could guest spot (or whatever its called).

The one that bugs me right now is Shorty.  He's the one that needs SpecSavers! 

Can't tell the difference between a shot and a pass that is meant to be tipped.

And babbling on about some statistic he found, gimme a break; the freaking game is on; needs a butt-end to the mouth sometimes.

I like his play-by-play, when he actually calls the play, and he is getting better, but I have been through his 'age' and 'stuff' doesn't get better, it just gets worse.

I actually like some of the American play-by-play guys who stick rigorously to the game and let the colour guys fill in the details.

Yet the bias is ridiculous down there, e.g. Boston is not even honest or truthful!

Who do you suggest in their place R3aL?

34 minutes ago, stawns said:

unless you're a Ryan Reaves and can be a legit, contributing member, you'll never be an NHL player, or even an AHL player.  Those days are gone.  No one would have a GIno on their team now

Now just a damn minute!!

OK just kidding, I take your point but you’re giving too much credit to Reaves and not enough to Gino. Check their stats out side by side and you’ll see they are pretty much comparable with possibly a slight edge to Gino.

• Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, stawns said:

unless you're a Ryan Reaves and can be a legit, contributing member, you'll never be an NHL player, or even an AHL player.  Those days are gone.  No one would have a GIno on their team now

I think you are getting players who play a rough aggressive game confused with those in the old days that were called "Goons" whose only jobs were to fight other "Goons". Even goons were benched during the playoffs and Gino was one of them in those days. 

This does not mean the rough stuff no longer exists. I think once the instigator rule came into effect, the smaller weasel type players, like Marchand, came into existence. We had our own like Cooke and Burrows. 

Once the goons disappeared it seemed like a free for all and stars were getting accosted because there was no repercussions to their deeds. 

The league is a joke when it comes to discipline its so inconsistent. So that is not the answer. 

The only thing a team can do is make every one accountable and take care of who ever thinks they can take advantage of anyone on the team. 

This needs to be a team effort and the leaders such as the Captain should be front and center and that "Pack Mentality" needs to come into play.

15 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I disagree.  We played with a lot more structure tonight. It was evident.  Our goalie sucked. With a decent goalie tonight we would have shut them out. 

Ha ha.  You see what you want to see.

Tocchett said himself that he didn't teach any systems or structure yet.

36 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

More power to you, I don't consider a deliberately tanking Blackhawks franchise as much of a bar though. We'll see how the rest of the season goes. 

I wasn't even watching the opposition last night I was watching how our guys were playing. They haven't played that well structurally in a long time. It was actually enjoyable to watch a team play like they know what they are doing.

15 hours ago, Devron said:

Meanwhile the culture for Russian players is set. I seriously think he will drop. A contract in the KHL will scare a few teams meanwhile we got a home cooking for Russian players 

Hey!  Where's the Ukrainian flag?

Drafting a Russian while the world is at war with Russia is not recommended.

• Vintage 1

15 hours ago, Barnstorm said:

Tocchet made two references to elephant analogies when introduced as the new coach. 
We’ve got elephants in the room and you can only eat them one bite at a time .

And they never forget.

(I've handed out a few elephants already and I don't have a clue what they mean.)

• Haha 1
  • elephant 1

37 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Aren't many of them left, most goons now days can play hockey too. 

exactly.  There's no room on a roster for the Gino's any more.  I'm not saying it's good, or that I like it........it's just the reality and its not going back.

Just now, stawns said:

he was?  Once he couldn't fight anymore, how long did he last?

Are you arguing with yourself now?  Scotch on sale in Vernon today? 

The modern version of the old enforcer is a good hockey player as well as being someone to reckon with.

Speed, intelligence, and being able to work the refs, as well as being able to fight and win.

9 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Are you arguing with yourself now?  Scotch on sale in Vernon today? 

The modern version of the old enforcer is a good hockey player as well as being someone to reckon with.

Speed, intelligence, and being able to work the refs, as well as being able to fight and win.

Gino would not be in the NHL if he were playing today, and he was one of my all time faves.  Sorry to burst your bubble

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

he was?  Once he couldn't fight anymore, how long did he last?

Gino’s last 3 years  9g + 8a = 17 pts.   +5  186 pim

Reaves’ last 3         6g + 18a = 24 pts  -16   89 pim 

I say if Reaves has a place in today’s NHL then so would  Gino. IMO Reaves is not a better hockey player in any way, shape or form.

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 2

Just now, 4petesake said:

Gino’s last 3 years  9g + 8a = 17 pts.   +5  186 pim

Reaves’ last 3         6g + 18a = 24 pts  -16   89 pim 

I say if Reaves has a place in today’s NHL then so would  Gino. IMO Reaves is not a better hockey player in any way, shape or form.

completely different era's that aren't remotely comparable.  I love Gino, but he wouldn't be an NHL player in this era