The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Chicago Blackhawks at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 24, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

There's a bunch of D ranked in the last 1/3 of this draft FWIW. Just saying...

And one could argue, some of those guys would likely be in the 2/3 section, in a less deep draft. That's where you get guys like McAvoy, Chabot, K.Miller etc, etc...

again, I'd rather have a dman in the 21-23 range, a known asset as opposed to a possibility.  I've never been much for using a 1st on a dman unless it's pretty clear that player is going to hit.  There's far too much uncertainty around the development of a dman to take the chance, imo.  Sure there could be tose kinds of players there, but there's a much higher chance of a player who amounts to very little at all. 

I wouldn't be oppposed to getting a pick as the secondary piece, but the focus should be on actual players just on the cusp of becoming solid NHL players

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, EddieVedder said:

Everyone always looks good when new cosch comes in.  Its called a coaches bump.  Garland and miller may improve but boeser will go back to being slow and soft within a few games

1 hour ago, The Big D said:

5582EF5D-DF04-4413-81A6-9F0ADDFBD2BA.webp

Lol

That's when Tocchet needs to put his money where his mouth is and keep players accountable. 

Thought we played great last night. 

Tonight is going to be a good test because I don't know how much of yesterday's performance is playing a team that is trying to tank vs a legitimate playoff team. 

Tocchet has only had 1 practice so I don't expect us to be playing exactly how he wants yet but I would love to see us continue to build off of this. 

I really liked his post game comment about how the staff was excited on the Miller change where they had fresh legs which resulted in the Kuzmenko goal. 

Personally, I see Miller hitting another level under Tocchet and making a lot of us eat crow. 

Im hoping guys like Joshua can keep up the good play as well. 

His play was what I was hoping for when we signed him. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

All of the crap returns we've seen in the past. Who in their right minds is going to give a high value young roster player going into the playoffs for a ufa? That's why you get good returns in prospects and draft picks at the TDL, not roster players on a one for one swap. It's common practice you are always going to get better value that way. Do you really think we need another Linden Vey, or Granlund? 

they're not getting a Linden Vey for Kuz........he'll be closing in on 30 goals by the tdl.  They'll get a good price for him if that's the path they take.  Personaly, I think they'll do everything they can to keep him, even if it means taking a bath on  Boes

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I know it's Chicago but this philosophy is exactly what this team needs in maturation.

I wasn't watching the game super closely, but from what I saw OEL looked good, and JT had a better game as a C. 

Good first step.

OEL looked quite good, and his numbers were even better. Shots were something like 14-3 in favor and goal% 85 (not exact numbers I looked last night).

Those are solid numbers for someone who's been terrible defensively most the year.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

again, I'd rather have a dman in the 21-23 range, a known asset as opposed to a possibility.  I've never been much for using a 1st on a dman unless it's pretty clear that player is going to hit.  There's far too much uncertainty around the development of a dman to take the chance, imo.  Sure there could be tose kinds of players there, but there's a much higher chance of a player who amounts to very little at all. 

I wouldn't be oppposed to getting a pick as the secondary piece, but the focus should be on actual players just on the cusp of becoming solid NHL players

Do you actually have players in mind that you think we could acquire. Stuff like Mercer, or Jarvis, is not happening in imo. Just curious what level of established players do you think we would be trading for?

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

My damn PVR crapped on me so I missed the game.

Question: If Vancouver is offered 2 1st Rdrs for Kuz do they take it?  

if it's Montreal ( theirs plus floridas )  then yes!!!!!! every day of the week and twice on Sunday

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

they're not getting a Linden Vey for Kuz........he'll be closing in on 30 goals by the tdl.  They'll get a good price for him if that's the path they take.  Personaly, I think they'll do everything they can to keep him, even if it means taking a bath on  Boes

Yeah I think the brass is sold on Kuz. 

They tried him with Studnicka and Dries and even on that line, Kuz looked dangerous. 

That was probably the final test to see if they want to invest in him.

I think we end up keeping Miller too. JR won't want to embarrass himself by trading him before his extension even kicks in. He's probably also hoping for a JT resurgence under Tocchet. 

Horvat is a goner. Although Tocchet had Horvat playing against the 1st pairing yesterday and Petey in the soft matchups. 

I wonder if this is management's last ditch effort to show Horvat what his production looks like when he had to play the top pairing and try to get him to sign for less

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Do you actually have players in mind that you think we could acquire. Stuff like Mercer, or Jarvis, is not happening in imo. Just curious what level of established players do you think we would be trading for?

Didn't JR say they are targeting players who are coming off of their ELCs that didn't perform up to the level expected, considering their draft position?  So similar to Benning getting Vey, Baer, Dhalen, and those kinds of guys.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Elephant in the room?  Seeing Bo do nothing when Garland was getting pounded (several games back) was bad.  Then last night Bo takes a couple sticks to the snout (one by Toews) and he does nothing in response.  Bo needs to drop and bop.  Chuck some knuckles.  He can't stand by and do nothing.  

As much as the press says that Bo's agent cannot talk to possible trade partners I suspect the Canucks have passed some ideas on. Whether fully engaged in talking to other teams or simply speculating it has to be hard on Horvat. If this is truly the week that the final offer is put to him the result should come quickly. PA has stood tough on getting what he want s from deals. Last spring came to nothing. This year is different. I hope he does not leave it to long. The first major deal likely starts an avalanche.

3 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Didn't watch the game. Glad they won the first game. 

But I prefer they don't go on a run. 

You know what other bottom teams are doing. They don't even hide it. 

Yupppp

If management has any sense they'll start selling sooner than later to at least solidify their position closer to the bottom

Worst thing that could happen would be going on some sort of run and drafting like 12th 

30 minutes ago, Muttley said:

I agree with this but no matter what happens with the Horvat situation, he's the Captain. Right now it's an uncomfortable situation for everyone. FWIW, I would not 

be adverse to seeing that C on Pettersson's jersey. Don't take me too seriously though because I didn't think OEL should have been gifted an A just because he was 

a notable name in the game.

To be honest, I don't necessarily think EP needs the C when Horvat is traded. That could go to a "Schenn" type player for a year or two...give EP the chance to lead by example without all the noise and then be ready to be Captain when his big new contract kicks in haha

55 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

More importantly, they played the "right way" and there is no "shame" in that.

Let's see them do it against a team who isn't the 2022-2023 Chicago Blackhawks or a team of similar.. caliber. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

You can watch the replay online if in Canada or have a VPN, just log in to your Canadian cable provider. 

https://watch.sportsnet.ca/

One highlight of the night for me is actually this.  Shorty was right that he was called Kenny by them back then. My sister just found them on her year book from Churchill.  She doesn't remember them. Too dorky. 

IMG_20230125_111331.jpg

received_471831168301017.webp

Edited by Jaimito
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

If we're capable of "winning some games here and there", then so are any of the teams below us. Chicago had actually been doing relatively well over their last handful of games until tonight. And besides, it's not just Bedard. While Bedard is obviously THE prize, any of the top 4 could be franchise altering, and every win lessens the chance of landing one of those guys. 

Useless win is useless win. The longer this franchise doesn't embrace the tank the longer it will remain in mediocrity.

Luckily it's up to the players how much energy and effort they'll put in for the rest of the season, so it's a bit pointless to get yourself too worked up about wins. Those are going to still happen and they'll probably finish somewhere around 2nd-7th worst. From that point on let's hope we'll win the lottery for once instead of dropping several places like usually. And that's about it I guess. Lots of teams have won the lottery from the 2nd/3rd position, so who knows, if this win will keep us from finishing dead last, thus ensuring a lottery winning 2nd or 3rd place, you'll also look back fondly on this game.

Edited by Rubik

31 minutes ago, stawns said:

Yeah I think they'll keep him. I think you're way off on your thoughts of a return though. You didn't even name a player. In your preferred deal I think they'll get back a player like Zboril, or Koppanen, maybe a Kotkaniemi, but even that's a stretch. Of course if they get back some unreasonable deadly return on a young player than sure.

43 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

One game at a time. The rest of this season will be about assessing the team for next season.

Every season since the that last Playoff run... this has been said. Before that was 2016.

How many assessments are we going to have lol

36 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Didn't JR say they are targeting players who are coming off of their ELCs that didn't perform up to the level expected, considering their draft position?  So similar to Benning getting Vey, Baer, Dhalen, and those kinds of guys.

I think they are talking about top 5oa picks that have struggled (ie: Lafreniere, Kakko,etc).

4 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah I think they'll keep him. I think you're way off on your thoughts of a return though. You didn't even name a player. In your preferred deal I think they'll get back a player like Zboril, or Koppanen, maybe a Kotkaniemi, but even that's a stretch. Of course if they get back some unreasonable deadly return on a young player then sure.

A player of Kuz’s ability, even as a rental will be gold for any team wanting that Cup. If available, he would be highly coveted.

I would rather keep him though. I think he has another level this new coaching staff will get out of him. 

First trade focus ought to be the 33yr old Schenn and Bo (unless he signs for a good deal).

Brock and Garland can be traded if we retain 1M. We could get second rounders.

Myers and OEL. Let’s see how they respond to RT. If they still are chaotic, buyout OEL and trade Myers after his bonus this July.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

No one's going to offer two 1st rounders like that. Maybe for Horvat if they can negotiate a contract with him on the spot.