The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] [for fun] If you are neither oilers nor canucks fan, do you approve oilers wants to trade Draisaitl straight to Petersson?

tan

2 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

If Draisatl retires tomorrow, he's already in the Hall of Fame.  If Pettersson retires tomorrow, he's Joe Juneau.  Elias has a lot of work to do to catch up.

Draisaitl has played 9 seasons, Petey has only played 5. Of course he has to catch up, Draisaitl has played 4 more years in the league. 

Total points after first 5 seasons in the NHL:

Elias Pettersson - 323

Leon Draisaitl - 312

Petey already has more points than Draisaitl after their first 5 seasons in the NHL. If Petey continues his ascension he will likely also have more points than Draisaitl after 9 seasons as well.  Petey needs to average 105 points per year for the next 4 seasons to equal what Draisaitl has done in his first 9 seasons. I think he can do that. And he’s not playing with McDavid either which is even more remarkable. 

Add to that the fact that Petey might win the Selke trophy in the next 4 seasons and you could say that Petey is the better overall player. If Petey were to win the scoring title and the Hart trophy over the next 4 seasons then I would say it’s a no brainer that Petey > Draisaitl. 

Draisaitl is a lock for the Hall of Fame. I would say that in 4 more seasons Petey will be as well. 

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Draisaitl has played 9 seasons, Petey has only played 5. Of course he has to catch up, Draisaitl has played 4 more years in the league. 

Total points after first 5 seasons in the NHL:

Elias Pettersson - 323

Leon Draisaitl - 312

Petey already has more points than Draisaitl after their first 5 seasons in the NHL. If Petey continues his ascension he will likely also have more points than Draisaitl after 9 seasons as well.  Petey needs to average 105 points per year for the next 4 seasons to equal what Draisaitl has done in his first 9 seasons. I think he can do that. And he’s not playing with McDavid either which is even more remarkable. 

Add to that the fact that Petey might win the Selke trophy in the next 4 seasons and you could say that Petey is the better overall player. If Petey were to win the scoring title and the Hart trophy over the next 4 seasons then I would say it’s a no brainer that Petey > Draisaitl. 

Draisaitl is a lock for the Hall of Fame. I would say that in 4 more seasons Petey will be as well.

Draisaitl started out in the new dead puck era.  His 77 point season from 2017 was actually 8th in the entire league in scoring.  The last five seasons he has been 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 4th and 4th in the NHL in scoring.  Pettersson just squeaked into the top ten for the first time this year.  Even considering the possibility of him winning a Hart and an Art Ross in the next four years is extremely optimistic.

Let's hope it happens.  For Petey to be a lock for the HOF by the end of four years from now...in the absence of a scoring title or a Hart I think he would have to score 100 points every year.  Five 100 point seasons will do it for just about anyone.  One down...

It's not that easy to be a lock for the Hall though.  Mike Rogers had three 100 point seasons in a row and nobody knows who he is.  Bernie Nicholls had three 100 point seasons and one of them with 150 and he isn't in.  Pierre Turgeon had 132, 106, 96, 95, 94 and same deal for him.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Draisaitl started out in the new dead puck era.  His 77 point season from 2017 was actually 8th in the entire league in scoring.  The last five seasons he has been 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 4th and 4th in the NHL in scoring.  Pettersson just squeaked into the top ten for the first time this year.  Even considering the possibility of him winning a Hart and an Art Ross in the next four years is extremely optimistic.

Let's hope it happens.  For Petey to be a lock for the HOF by the end of four years from now...in the absence of a scoring title or a Hart I think he would have to score 100 points every year.  Five 100 point seasons will do it for just about anyone.  One down...

It's not that easy to be a lock for the Hall though.  Mike Rogers had three 100 point seasons in a row and nobody knows who he is.  Bernie Nicholls had three 100 point seasons and one of them with 150 and he isn't in.  Pierre Turgeon had 132, 106, 96, 95, 94 and same deal for him.

Which one is Mike? 

IMG_2472.webp

Could contain: Electronics, Screen, Computer Hardware, Hardware, Monitor, TV, Clothing, Costume, Person

Could contain: Face, Head, Person, Photography, Portrait, Smile, Beard, Adult, Male, Man

Could contain: Face, Head, Person, Smile, Portrait, Adult, Male, Man, Wood, Table

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

purple-rain-prince.jpg

P. Rogers Nelson

Mike Rogers, is a perfect example of how close the WHA and NHL really was.    

Edit:  Personally feel that league doesn't get the respect it actually deserves, and even earned both from Slap Shot - and from court ordered games to play each other.   Without the WHA, maybe 19-20 would still be drafted age.   And maybe Hull senior and Howe (if he came back) would have records a lot more impressive then they already are, plus of course a lot of other folks too.    Bower ... in the AHL i suppose is the same.  Only other goalie to have 600 pro wins 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, IBatch said:

Edit:  Personally feel that league doesn't get the respect it actually deserves, and even earned both from Slap Shot - and from court ordered games to play each other.   Without the WHA, maybe 19-20 would still be drafted age.   And maybe Hull senior and Howe (if he came back) would have records a lot more impressive then they already are, plus of course a lot of other folks too.    Bower ... in the AHL i suppose is the same.  Only other goalie to have 600 pro wins 

Yeah and I mentioned in the other thread where this came up how the WHA did fairly well against the same Russian team from the 1972 NHL series.

Michel Dion is another goalie like Riggin and Brodeur who came over from the WHA and excelled (Vezina finalist).  And Mike Liut...beat Wayne Gretzky in his prime for the Pearson / Lindsay Trophy.

• Vintage 1