The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] [for fun] If you are neither oilers nor canucks fan, do you approve oilers wants to trade Draisaitl straight to Petersson?

tan

Well, let's compare...

For the first two years, we'd save more than a million to keep Pettersson. At that point, Petey's contract is up and he re-signs, he will be paid more than Draisaitl. After that, Draisaitl will be getting a new contract and I imagine they will be at somewhat similar salaries. Advantage: None. Essential wash.

So far, Draisaitl has produced more than Petey. However, he also plays with McJesus (at least on the PP, and their PP is the best PP in... well... ever, I think it artificially boosts his production. Advantage: Slight advantage to Leon.

Defensively, there is no question that Petey is a better 2-way player. Draisaitl has the 7th worse +/- on the team of all players with 20 games or more. This may not have been true a couple of years ago, but Pettersson has really focused on rounding out his game and it totally showed this season. Advantage: Pettersson

Experience: Leon has 3 (I think) years more experience than Pettersson, but that means Petey has more room to grow and improve than Leon does. It also means that Leon will age quicker, so he's more of a time-limited asset. Advantage: Petey

Attitude: There have been words that Draisaitl doesn't always have the best attitude. But I cannot really speak to that, but CAN speak to Petey. He's a consummate professional,  soft spoken, and always projects himself with class. Advanrage: Petey. (Slight).

In short, nah. I know this is just for fun, but given a 1-for-1 trade, I'd rather keep Petey.

Draisaitl is bigger, stronger, older and a monster in the playoffs right now. Petey is arguably just as skilled, smaller but a better defensive game and younger. Also, not playing with McDavid...imagine Petey's stats if he played on the PP with McDavid.

I take Pettersson every time.

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

Well, let's compare...

For the first two years, we'd save more than a million to keep Pettersson. At that point, Petey's contract is up and he re-signs, he will be paid more than Draisaitl. After that, Draisaitl will be getting a new contract and I imagine they will be at somewhat similar salaries. Advantage: None. Essential wash.

So far, Draisaitl has produced more than Petey. However, he also plays with McJesus (at least on the PP, and their PP is the best PP in... well... ever, I think it artificially boosts his production. Advantage: Slight advantage to Leon.

Defensively, there is no question that Petey is a better 2-way player. Draisaitl has the 7th worse +/- on the team of all players with 20 games or more. This may not have been true a couple of years ago, but Pettersson has really focused on rounding out his game and it totally showed this season. Advantage: Pettersson

Experience: Leon has 3 (I think) years more experience than Pettersson, but that means Petey has more room to grow and improve than Leon does. It also means that Leon will age quicker, so he's more of a time-limited asset. Advantage: Petey

Attitude: There have been words that Draisaitl doesn't always have the best attitude. But I cannot really speak to that, but CAN speak to Petey. He's a consummate professional,  soft spoken, and always projects himself with class. Advanrage: Petey. (Slight).

In short, nah. I know this is just for fun, but given a 1-for-1 trade, I'd rather keep Petey.

I watch the Oilers a bit more than most here and Draisaitl and McDavid head their own lines, If the Oil are down by a goal or 2 one of the two get moved to whichever line is performing better, or as a combo of Leon/McJesus and one of Kane/Hyman/Nuge. The games I was at it was either Nuge or Hyman Nuge had 5 points in two games and Hyman had 3, Kane was relatively quiet offensively.

PP or down by a goal or 2 is the only time McJesus and Drai play together and Draisaitl produces fine without McJesus regardless.

I find Draisaitl to be shockingly underrated on here, and he has no issues back checking regardless of what Heffy rambles on about, He does occasionally coast off on line changes that was pretty much the only minor knock on him and even that was only 3 or 4 changes. Draisaitl had a goal each game the first was assisted by Heffy's favourite player Tyson Barrie and Nuge EV Strength, the second was a PPG assisted by McDavid and Nuge.

• Cheers 1

Draisaitl is the better offensive player/goal scorer I'd say and Petey is better in his own end. 

I'd say no, but mainly based on Petey being 3 years younger and us likely about to sign him to hopefully a long term deal for slightly cheaper then Drai will be re-upping for. 

46 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I watch the Oilers a bit more than most here and Draisaitl and McDavid head their own lines, If the Oil are down by a goal or 2 one of the two get moved to whichever line is performing better, or as a combo of Leon/McJesus and one of Kane/Hyman/Nuge. The games I was at it was either Nuge or Hyman Nuge had 5 points in two games and Hyman had 3, Kane was relatively quiet offensively.

PP or down by a goal or 2 is the only time McJesus and Drai play together and Draisaitl produces fine without McJesus regardless.

I find Draisaitl to be shockingly underrated on here, and he has no issues back checking regardless of what Heffy rambles on about, He does occasionally coast off on line changes that was pretty much the only minor knock on him and even that was only 3 or 4 changes. Draisaitl had a goal each game the first was assisted by Heffy's favourite player Tyson Barrie and Nuge EV Strength, the second was a PPG assisted by McDavid and Nuge.

Nice try. Dr. Drai plays the PP with McDavid. He sets up on the half wall. 

With these kind of ideas that are so close I usually just stick to with what I know. Trades change players. Petey could be just as good or better on the the Oilers where Drai could decline in a new environment. You just never know. Stick with what you know. Right now Petey is a 100Pt two way beast on the Canucks so I decline this trade 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I was actually thinking bout this the other day.

Also who would you rather

Quninn Hughes at 7.85 million 

Or 

Darnell Nurse at 9.25 million

Filip Hronek at 4.4 million 

Or 

Matthias Ekholm  6 million

• Huggy Bear 2

On 4/20/2023 at 3:17 PM, CanuckinEdm said:

Are we that delusional that we wouldn't take Draisaitl lol. Draisaitl is an absolute beast he's also the 2nd highest PPG player in the playoffs ever so far in his young career I (and probably every GM in the league) take Drai in a heartbeat. 

I think most didn't read the title - of course those in EDM, watching Draisatl bull around the puck in the offensive zone, score a ton of goals and be a critical part of one of the best power plays the leagues ever had - think about that for a minute - and that's with gulp - Nurse, Barrie or Bouchard on the point the last couple seasons.     And his defensive game isn't nearly as bad as some make it out to be, when he's on the ice, the puck and ice slant the other way.     So far EPs has one great season.   Drasaitl has had many, and has proven himself durable.    The only thing that really is in EPs favour is he's a couple years younger, so maybe he will also do what Draisatl has already accomplished, which if five consecutive seasons at well over a 100 point pace,  and averaging 50ish goals during that run.    We can only hope that EP can manage that at some point in his career.   He's also been doing that since he was 23.   

And the most important thing is playoffs.   Draisaitl seems to be built for it.   Not EPs fault (one playoff - that's on JB and maybe one year on Allvin).     As far as line mates of course McDavid is boosting everyone's stats, but he's also getting his stats boosted from Leon.   I have zero doubts,  LD on his own or on the Canucks instead, wouldn't also be killing it.    Guys a monster in the offensive zone.    Tough to handle.  

And for the record of course i'd pick EP, but i'm not neutral.   I'd also consider picking Draisatl before McDavid if I had the choice. 

As for LD, already has a Hart, and a couple seasons with Hart votes, and even Selke votes himself - plus Byng, something i'm sure EP will also get too one day.   All three actually. 

Edited by IBatch

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I think most didn't read the title - of course those in EDM, watching Draisatl bull around the puck in the offensive zone, score a ton of goals and be a critical part of one of the best power plays the leagues ever had - think about that for a minute - and that's with gulp - Nurse, Barrie or Bouchard on the point the last couple seasons.     And his defensive game isn't nearly as bad as some make it out to be, when he's on the ice, the puck and ice slant the other way.     So far EPs has one great season.   Drasaitl has had many, and has proven himself durable.    The only thing that really is in EPs favour is he's a couple years younger, so maybe he will also do what Draisatl has already accomplished, which if five consecutive seasons at well over a 100 point pace,  and averaging 50ish goals during that run.    We can only hope that EP can manage that at some point in his career.   He's also been doing that since he was 23.   

Big Leon.

image.gif.520dbf0b997efd341cc5f737c577cba7.gif

• Haha 1

On 4/20/2023 at 11:43 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Draisaitl will be asking for $15 million on his next contract.

That's for sure the market value for a guy who's probably going to have 7 seasons in a row at around 50 goals 100 points for games played.   Even covid didn't stop him.   Only thing that might convince him to stay is if McDavid and him win a cup or come close - and decide to keep the band together.    Doubt it.   Coffey didn't.  Gretzky didn't.   Messier and Lowe and Anderson and Kurri didn't either.     Edmonton waited forever to get another shot at a cup, and despite the one year of Pronger (that team was pretty mediocre at best - Pronger was a total monster for a couple years),   they haven't had much to cheer for since 1990.     It is a little messed up that they ended up with the best player all-time, plus a ton of other HHOFer's and all-stars for a decade or so, and again ended up with two of the best center's not only of their generation, but guys who'd line up pretty well with any generation.    By the time Leon's deal is up,  he could end up with almost 1000 points already.     Before he's 30. 

• Cheers 1