The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] [for fun] If you are neither oilers nor canucks fan, do you approve oilers wants to trade Draisaitl straight to Petersson?

tan

Call me crazy, but I think it's reasonable that Petey might be better than Draisaitl given his 200 foot game. The catch is that Draisaitl is very big and strong, so his play might complement McDavid's more than Pettersson's would, even though Petey might be a better well-rounded player.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Call me crazy, but I think it's reasonable that Petey might be better than Draisaitl given his 200 foot game. The catch is that Draisaitl is very big and strong, so his play might complement McDavid's more than Pettersson's would, even though Petey might be a better well-rounded player.

It’s absolutely reasonable. Now people might not be ready to have that conversation yet, but Pete’s gonna start being nominated for Selkes and he doesn’t have or need a McDavid to ride shotgun with. 

1 hour ago, Pears said:

It’s absolutely reasonable. Now people might not be ready to have that conversation yet, but Pete’s gonna start being nominated for Selkes and he doesn’t have or need a McDavid to ride shotgun with. 

I'd argue that, as the #10 ranked point scorer in the NHL, Petey probably would be the McDavid of most duos (or seeing how he elevated the likes of Beauvillier and Boeser, he'd be the Swedish Gretzky with his passing).

I believe in the near future you will see Petey with more points than Draisaitl.  Draisaitl probably goes to UFA in 2 years and lands on another team.  I doubt Edmonton will re-sign him when they need to sign McDavid to a $15 million+ deal.  Edmonton might have to trade him really.  I doubt they'd let him walk for free.

Without McDavid and that PP, Petey should be able to get more points than Draisaitl.  5v5, Petey has 68 points, McDavid has 75 and Draisaitl has 64, so Petey has more 5v5 points than Draisaitl.  With Hronek in play, Petey's PP points will probably increase next season.  Also, Kuzmenko could take another step as well, which would help Petey get more points.

Draisaitl is much better at faceoffs than Petey, 54% versus 44.5%.  However, Petey's 200' game is much, much better.  I would say Petey is the #1 centre overall in the league if you look at his defensive play.  He will get Selke votes this year and could finish in the top 5.  Petey is pretty close to MacKinnon offensively but much better defensively, so I'd put Petey ahead of MacKinnon.  

In terms of centres in the league, you are looking at only a few that match up to Petey:

McDavid

Draisaitl

MacKinnon

Matthews

Crosby

Hughes

That's it.  Of those 6, I only put McDavid and Matthews above Petey, with Draisaitl neck and neck.  If I had to choose, I would take Petey over Draisaitl because Petey has proven he can do it on his own, whereas Draisaitl has been riding shotgun with McDavid his entire career and is terrible defensively.

This is why I think if Petey takes anything less than $11 million, it is a hometown discount.  As a UFA, Petey would get the MacKinnon contract.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Draisaitl for Petterson, the Dman.... sure !!!

for the forward.... JR dies laughing. 

a solid 200 ft forward for someone who can't/won't play defence...not a chance, never!!!

come to think of it, I wouldn't even do McDoofus for EP40 ...again someone who doesn't know how to play defence. 

Edited by grumpyone
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I believe in the near future you will see Petey with more points than Draisaitl.  Draisaitl probably goes to UFA in 2 years and lands on another team.  I doubt Edmonton will re-sign him when they need to sign McDavid to a $15 million+ deal.  Edmonton might have to trade him really.  I doubt they'd let him walk for free.

Without McDavid and that PP, Petey should be able to get more points than Draisaitl.  5v5, Petey has 68 points, McDavid has 75 and Draisaitl has 64, so Petey has more 5v5 points than Draisaitl.  With Hronek in play, Petey's PP points will probably increase next season.  Also, Kuzmenko could take another step as well, which would help Petey get more points.

Draisaitl is much better at faceoffs than Petey, 54% versus 44.5%.  However, Petey's 200' game is much, much better.  I would say Petey is the #1 centre overall in the league if you look at his defensive play.  He will get Selke votes this year and could finish in the top 5.  Petey is pretty close to MacKinnon offensively but much better defensively, so I'd put Petey ahead of MacKinnon.  

In terms of centres in the league, you are looking at only a few that match up to Petey:

McDavid

Draisaitl

MacKinnon

Matthews

Crosby

Hughes

That's it.  Of those 6, I only put McDavid and Matthews above Petey, with Draisaitl neck and neck.  If I had to choose, I would take Petey over Draisaitl because Petey has proven he can do it on his own, whereas Draisaitl has been riding shotgun with McDavid his entire career and is terrible defensively.

This is why I think if Petey takes anything less than $11 million, it is a hometown discount.  As a UFA, Petey would get the MacKinnon contract.

I bet $50 that Draisaitl will be resigned probably $11m x7 or 8 years. No way Oilers will trade him.

11 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Yeah, for the Oilers, McD and Drai are the modern Gretz, Mess combo

• Cheers 1