The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New Draft Process (Don’t reward tanking)

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol so we are going to force EP to play on 1 leg like linden did right? so we can draft say a connor mcdavid? the players are going to try and win a draft pick for the team while not getting paid right especially those that won't be re-signed 

I am not saying that I agree with a tournament for this. 

I am just saying I don't agree with the sentiment that good teams that run into injury bug should inherently deserves 1st overall picks. 

I like the idea of determine non playoff picks based on average of previous 3 seasons if we are skipping the lottery all together. 

On 5/7/2023 at 3:54 PM, Canuckie8 said:

Hey,

After suffering these past few Canuck seasons where we win meaningless games  and hating it, I figure there must be a better way.

I wanted the Canucks to lose.  Think about that.  The players don’t want it, the owners shouldn’t want it, nobody should want this.  So why does the NHL reward last place so much?  Simple solution is to stop doing it.

I also remember, fondly, the Crosby draft experience.  It was so fun to have more movement in the draft, rather than just the top 2 or 3 picks.  

Changes to current system.

1. Bottom 3 teams no longer have a chance at 1st overall.  They now are guaranteed one of the 2-4 overall picks. Those teams enter a mini draft and have equal odds.  Why should Anaheim get greater odds than Columbus & Chicago when they were both worse than 90% of the league and finished within 1 point of each other?  They all suck and need “help” but shouldn’t be rewarded for it so much.

2.  The remaining non playoff teams enter a draft for all remaining picks (1st overall and 5-16).  The lower you place in the season, the better odds you have at winning a drafting (like now).  Some math expert can figure out the most fair odds.  Keep rules where teams cannot move up more than 10 spots.

3. Allow a 1st overall pick max once every 5 years for any team.

I feel that these changes will take the sting out of late season meaningless wins and create a more exciting draft experience and hopefully drastically reduce all the tank talk each year.

At the very least, I think this is big improvement on the current standard.

What do you think?

I think they should go back to the top 3 picks in the lottery and keep the 10 spot maximum upward move. I'd even be ok with the top 4 or even 5 picks being in the lottery. Then level the odds more for the bottom 10 making it pointless to try to be the worst team in the league. I would propose these lottery odds for the bottom 16 teams...

32 - 10%

31 - 10%

30 - 10%

29 - 10%

28 - 10%

27 - 9%

26 - 9%

25 - 8%

24 - 8%

23 - 7%

22 - 3%

21 - 2%

20 - 1%

19 - 1%

18 - 1%

17 - 1%

With only a 3% difference between the worst team and the tenth worst team tanking becomes somewhat pointless. Being the worst team would only guarantee the 4th overall pick while the ninth worst team is only a 2% lower chance at the top 3. Is it worth it moving out talent, or coaching to lose, to shoot for the bottom then?

4 hours ago, Baggins said:

I think they should go back to the top 3 picks in the lottery and keep the 10 spot maximum upward move. I'd even be ok with the top 4 or even 5 picks being in the lottery. Then level the odds more for the bottom 10 making it pointless to try to be the worst team in the league. I would propose these lottery odds for the bottom 16 teams...

32 - 10%

31 - 10%

30 - 10%

29 - 10%

28 - 10%

27 - 9%

26 - 9%

25 - 8%

24 - 8%

23 - 7%

22 - 3%

21 - 2%

20 - 1%

19 - 1%

18 - 1%

17 - 1%

With only a 3% difference between the worst team and the tenth worst team tanking becomes somewhat pointless. Being the worst team would only guarantee the 4th overall pick while the ninth worst team is only a 2% lower chance at the top 3. Is it worth it moving out talent, or coaching to lose, to shoot for the bottom then?

This is a good idea too.  If in bottom half of league, you are not generally considered a good team, so technically need help to get you over the hump into playoffs.  Your idea would definitely deter last place being a good idea.  Nobody should want to finish there.

On 5/7/2023 at 4:22 PM, Rabbit said:

I think all the non-playoff teams have equal opportunity to get the 1OA.

This. Why make it complicated. I’d go so far as to say the top 16 picks are all randomized with equal odds between every team. That would certainly fix the tanking problem. 

13 hours ago, Baggins said:

32 - 10%

31 - 10%

30 - 10%

29 - 10%

28 - 10%

27 - 9%

26 - 9%

25 - 8%

24 - 8%

23 - 7%

22 - 3%

21 - 2%

20 - 1%

19 - 1%

18 - 1%

17 - 1%

something along these lines would be better than what we’ve currently got. I don’t think it eliminates tanking but it would be better.