The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Kraken re-sign Vince Dunn

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

Remember that OEL was going to eat 7.2 of our cap while sitting in the press box eating popcorn. His replacement would be league minimum. Total cost for that one bottom pairing D would be 8 mil. Even those two highest cost buyout years will be 5.5. And that’s with D Petey or Willander playing that role added in. 
See? Cleansing the Benning stain of OEL was a must. And it makes our cap better. It’s math. 
Now bow to Alf’s empties! :frantic:

Wait till next summer and I will to.

I will get the biggest truck and take our empties in and we can drink like there's no tomorrow.

On 7/22/2023 at 9:10 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Points get you paid, before last season Dunn was a 20-30 point guy consistently and then he goes and doubles his point totals and gets paid big time. No defensive defenceman will ever get paid 7M+ sadly. Dunn is pretty decent defensively though I'd say, not that solid but boy did he take a leap offensively, 50 assists is pretty impressive. 4 years is wise by both teams, sort of like a long bridge deal. I would have given him a 2 year deal if I were Seattle - that is just one big season amongst a bunch of average seasons. If he dips back to 20-30 points for the next 3-4 years, ouch, that's an expensive defenceman.

On to Hronek who has hovered around 40-50 points, that seems to get you around 6M or so. Get to the 60-70 point plateau and you're in 7-8M. Hughes obviously took a bit of a discount and had term, and is probably worth 8-9M easily, so he's a nice bench-mark to set for all the other guys who plan to sign - no one can earn more (or close) to him, a bit like what we've got going with Petey and Miller.

In contrast, look at the mess the "leaders" are causing in Toronto - everyone wants to be the top dog and get paid more and more, leaving nothing for anyone else.

Vlasic has been making $7M for years…

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

Another similar one is Brent Seabrook at $6.875M. But for him, the pain was somewhat lessened by him going into LTIRetirement so early.

Yeah I remember that Seabrook deal all too well. I argued in the thread that the deal was far too long and his play was going to decline. Got piled on by almost everyone in the thread. Within 2 years that contract was a boat anchor bigger than OEL's.

I would have tagged the lot of them and laughed but there is nothing worse than dragging a thread to death.

• Cheers 1