The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] CDCGFL 2023-24

Gator

13 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

Thinking about the bottom five anti tanking rule, I think it was Theo pointed out the 28th worst team seems to get 'punished' worse than the 32nd worst team by the rule. 

THinking this through; my understanding is this:

~the regular season standings at the end of the season are used for pairing the CDCGFL club to its NHL equivalent for the draft lotto purposes

~the lotto is carried out in the NHL and its results dictate our results due to the pairing of CDCGFL teams and their NHL equivalents.

~We already know the 28th thru 32nd worst team might fall 3 places at worst in this process (something is reminding me that clubs can only fall 2 spots, but i can't remember how that works now, three for these illustrative purposes though)

~after the draft lotto a penalty will then be applied to the regular season worst 5 clubs for finishing in the bottom 5 teams: each of these clubs will then be dropped 5 places in the draft order.

Seems easy peasy and simple and a decent punishment while still allowing higher end draft picks to help make the club better.

Theo pointed out though that in theory the 5th place team could be bumped to 8th overall draft pick via the lotto and then another five by league rule to 13th overall while the 32nd place club who tanked the worst would only possibly drop 3 places in the lotto to fourth and then another five by rule to 9th overall as its worst possible outcome.

THis seems to punish finishing 28th worse than finishing 32nd.

There was some chat about how teams would try to come in sixth and therefore 'minitank' from say 10th worst down to closer to sixth: and IMO that is fine, but dangerous for them because the anti tank rule will have those bottom five clubs, and sixth and 7th worst as well all trying to get a bit higher so they are not punished by the rule, so any micro tanking to get closer to sixth is likely to come up against those trying to rise up and could very likely put your club in the 'bottom five'. Something to think on, but it does add another level of tactics and strategies to a GM's possible planning. 

I propose, here officially, instead of just the discord chat that we insert, before the lotto pairing, a flip of the placing from 28th to 32nd. This puts the 5th worst club in spot 1 and the 32nd worst club in spot 5 for draft lotto purposes, and reverses their maximum punishments so the worst team 'could' end up picking 13th overall while the 5th worst team 'could' end up picking 9th overall. 

Easy fix to what I think was an unforseen outcome. The objective is to keep clubs competitive so we dont have Arizona's popping up over the years that will eventually just fold due to lack of interest, like we see in other leagues that dont have an anti tanking rule. Overall, i think the rule will keep 32nd to 19th or 20th fighting to put up points rather than fighting to shed points for a reward for sucking. The top 16 more or less are in the playoffs and those middle five will be pushing for playoffs generally. I think five is the perfect spot to do this, as originally designed, and if we simply invert their order before the draft lotto pairing it solves the unwanted outcome of 5th overall possibly dropping to 13th overall and instead swaps that punishment to the worst overall club. 

Sorry for the wall of text but i wanted to describe it in full context for those who weren't on discord chatting about it.

See bolded above.

I am not sure I agree that the one team receives more benefit than the other. In both cases the teams are dropping the same number of spots (1st to 9th and 5th to 13th) so I don't really understand why this is not fair.

Wouldn't it be that our bottom 5 would be seeded 6th to 9th and all could possibly just slide 2 spots depending on how the lottery goes?

7 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

See bolded above.

I am not sure I agree that the one team receives more benefit than the other. In both cases the teams are dropping the same number of spots (1st to 9th and 5th to 13th) so I don't really understand why this is not fair.

Wouldn't it be that our bottom 5 would be seeded 6th to 9th and all could possibly just slide 2 spots depending on how the lottery goes?

potential outcomes at their worst would see the 28th team drop to 13th, at worst, (or maybe 12th if i am wrong about being able to drop three spots in the lottery) but the rule was meant to punish the biggest tankers, and so the worst overall team should be the one that potentially drops to 13th overall as a worst case scenario.

I mean we dont have to change anything but if we want to punish 32nd overall after the regular season worse than 28th overall then we will need to invert their order before we pair with the NHL for the draft lotto. 

Edited by Primal Optimist

2 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

potential outcomes at their worst would see the 28th team drop to 13th, at worst, (or maybe 12th if i am wrong about being able to drop three spots in the lottery) but the rule was meant to punish the biggest tankers, and so the worst overall team should be the one that potentially drops to 13th overall as a worst case scenario.

I thought the intent was to punish the bottom 5 teams equally. With these rules in place nobody is going to "tank" to finish last and it will just be a result of their team not being competitive enough. As you stated, the only "tanking" I could see would be to finish 6th from the bottom but that would be almost impossible to do in my mind.

I guess it really comes down to whether or not we want to "penalize" the bottom 5 teams in some kind of priority order.

• Cheers 1

For GM's who would like to know who is still available, I gift to you all my santized draft 'cheat cheet'. 

As it is now: any player greyed out on any of the 32 NHL team tabs has been selected in the Draft

Any player with a white background is generally available for free agent offers, as long as they are not eligible for next summers entry draft by their age status.

I have removed my strategic tabs and colour codes now so it is free for all to use/enjoy.

Hope this helps new and veteran GM's alike; Cheers

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12xXVIYqQCY0HWlecIjqdkKzzAnBHgvCM5OaSLfHoHDQ/edit?usp=sharing

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Please note a few things when sending in offers for free agents.

-What role will the player be playing on your team (top 6, top line, top 4 ETC)
-Small blurb about why the player should choose to sign with your team (Does not need to be long paragraphs, just a sentence or two)

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Relyt Krets said:

Please note a few things when sending in offers for free agents.

-What role will the player be playing on your team (top 6, top line, top 4 ETC)
-Small blurb about why the player should choose to sign with your team (Does not need to be long paragraphs, just a sentence or two)

What are the mechanics of this process? Do we submit an offer to an Agent? Do they assess all offers up to a certain time or just approve if it is deemed a reasonable offer? Do we get to raise our offer against other bidders, ETC?

10 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

What are the mechanics of this process? Do we submit an offer to an Agent? Do they assess all offers up to a certain time or just approve if it is deemed a reasonable offer? Do we get to raise our offer against other bidders, ETC?

Submit offers to any of myself, @Gator or @Rush17. Some players have set agents already (Gator to announce later I believe) For now we will be collecting all offers and assessing and likely get back to teams with offers within a day or two. Offers will start to be posted on Friday. There will be back an forth on negotiations for most players depending on offers received. Some teams may not hear back but I think for this initial free agency most will hear back. 

Once the "free agency" process is over then you are able to submit offers as you go and it will likely be a quicker process but we are treating this like a free agency day given the players left over and the volume of offers we are to likely get

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Primal Optimist said:

For GM's who would like to know who is still available, I gift to you all my santized draft 'cheat cheet'. 

As it is now: any player greyed out on any of the 32 NHL team tabs has been selected in the Draft

Any player with a white background is generally available for free agent offers, as long as they are not eligible for next summers entry draft by their age status.

I have removed my strategic tabs and colour codes now so it is free for all to use/enjoy.

Hope this helps new and veteran GM's alike; Cheers

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12xXVIYqQCY0HWlecIjqdkKzzAnBHgvCM5OaSLfHoHDQ/edit?usp=sharing

I guess it is only fair to share our front office management team's drafting strategy as well................

5a7df271-3210-47d8-abab-9b3d2052b6cf_tex

• There it is 1

Could contain: Text

Carolina anticipates that things will look a little different after UFA signings and poaching the waiver wire. We also expect Phil Kessel and Nick Ritchie to be competing for roster spots. We have a healthy amount of cap space and a variety of prospects, including:

Gabriel Perreault

Matthew Wood

Ethan Gauthier

None of our prospects are untouchable. 

We will also be revising our front office budget:

40M Player Relations

20M Medical

20M Minors Budget

@Gator

• Cheers 1

On 7/28/2023 at 3:27 PM, Gator said:

ELCs come with a maximum term determined by a players age. Players age is determined by what age he is on September 15th of the year the deal is signed.

18-21: 3 years

22-23: 2 years

24: 1 year

25+: No limit

IMPORTANT INFO ADDED TO CBA

breaking news GIF

Good day for Ottawa Senators prospects in Russia. I scouted the Novgorod game this morning and Firstov looks like not just an impact player but a real difference-maker at that level. Taking care of his own zone, making plays in the offensive zone, being in smart positions, protecting the puck down low, taking heavy bumps without missing a beat. He's playing regularly on the PP and PK, and scored a powerplay goal today through some really clever movement patterns.

I didn't catch the Salavat Yulaev game but Sasha Chmelevski scored a hat trick. And more importantly, after convincing myself I'd f**ked up picking him so early because Capfriendly's waiver calculator told me he was eligible, I just realized GFL only uses games played to determine eligibility, not seasons since signing, so he's good.

• Cheers 1